1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Janet89

Disney . . . . . .

My son has been asking since last year to go back to Disney World (we were there in 2005). The problem is, my husband is very anti-Disney. He is not interested in the least . . .

I thought I had made up my mind to just take my son and go, minus DH. I was thinking about the end of May, but now snow makeup days are interfering. He is now wanting to try for the perfect attendance field trip, as well.

This leaves Aug., which I know is HOT. It's HOT here, so I can imagine how Florida will be. I'm starting to think we won't enjoy ourselves as much in the heat.

The next possible times are mid-Dec. (DH conference, which he will probably veto so he doesn't have to go to Disney). Spring break (not Easter) 2009. Or, possibly, end of May 2009.

Any advice for me? I really want to take him before he grows up too much!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Janet89

I forgot to mention, if we don't get to Disney this summer, we will be going to either Branson or St. Louis. As you know, there are lots of fun choices in each city. We won't be totally deprived!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
fordarama
Clinging to freedom

First, you are never to old for disney....
But, August would be terrible, I went in august when my son was younger,,
I did not enjoy it......... Go for december....That would be perfect......
We were going this summer, My step son is 14 and has never been, nor has my dear hubby,,,,,,,,
I decided that it would just end up making us hot, tired and cranky......
So it's back to the beach for us..........
Branson is to hot to me in august , And I'm an arky........
How old is your son??
He would enjoy it , what ever age.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Janet89

Hi fordarama! Our son will be eight in April. I know he would probably like to go anytime. . . . .but, right now, he still really likes the characters!

Thanks for the input re August. I did post on a Disney site about August survival tips. Just the things they were telling me made me NOT want to visit then. I do get miserable here when the humidity is high! I figured, if we visited in August, DS would only want to hang out by the pool instead of the parks!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Michie
Ultra Member

I would not go to Florida in August even if the trip was was free! It is just too darn hot, humid and crowded!

How about October? That is when we go. Great weather, not so crowded.

Last edited by Michie; 02-27-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
fordarama
Clinging to freedom

We were at silver dollar city in june two summers ago, and the pavement was melting under our feet.........
It made the time at silver dollar city miserable,,,
So Disney would be even worse....
It rained on us alot in august as well..........
Keep us updated on what you decide.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Janet89

Thanks! I would hate to invest all that $$ and have a miserable time. . . . . We avoid SDC in the summer, as well!! We have plans to go with friends in May and again in November. We went last November and it was absolutely PERFECT. The lights were up and not too hot or too cold.

Michie, I'll look at October, but our school doesn't give very long breaks during that month. The Halloween party they have looks like fun, though.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Davidab53
Ultra Member

We went to Disney World this past July. I have never encountered such heat and humidity in my life, but we still had a blast! We stayed at the Disney Resort and had park hopper tickets to all the parks.

We had such a great time that we are getting ready to book a land a sea Disney Cruise for the summer of 2009. We spend 5 days and 4 nights at one of three Disney Resorts, with tickets to all the parks and 3 meals a day paid for. Then we will be driven to Cape Canaveral to board a Disney Cruise Ship where we will spend 4 days and 3 nights. The cruise is all inclusive and takes us to the Bahamas and the "Disney Island."

We were planning on just taking another trip to the Disney theme parks next year, but I started researching the cruise, and we can do both for just a little more than a seven day stay at the Disney Resort.

We can't wait!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:51 AM   #9
Janet89

David, you will have a blast on the cruise. We did it in 2005. One of the best vacations we have had, even DH liked it.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
ThunderHockeyFan
Super Ultra Member

We go in September. Since it is hurricaine season they put out some great specials. We are going again in September 2009 (almost time to make resevations!!!). It is hot and very humid but we are in Kansas and are very used to that and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We did the halloween party in 2006 and had a blast. It is on our list for next trip.

I am not sure what boards you were on for Disney but my favorite is www.disboards.com

I also go to:
www.mousebuzz.com
www.intercot.com
www.passporter.com
www.allearsnet.com

I know there are more but I will end it there.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Janet89

Thanks for the links! I visit Disboards, allearsnet, and Intercot quite a bit.

We are definately going to wait for a trip during better weather. If August was the only time we could go, that's what we would do.

We are taking a loooong car tour in June (OK, it's just a week, but a new city every day). DH and I have discussed going to Las Vegas again. Plus, I would like to either be in St. Louis or Branson for the 4th of July. I have also looked into renting from a Big Cedar Wilderness Club owner. . . . . Too many options! At any rate, we will have a fun and busy summer.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:50 AM   #12
kbradleyar
Super Ultra Member

I worked in Jacksonvill FL for years for a company.

I went down to Orlando almost weekly when I was in town. The BEST, repeat BEST time of the year is DECEMBER. I have been almost every month of the year and my favorite time is December 1 to February.

It is nice, highs in the 70s (maybe low 80s but not too hot). The park is made up for Christmas and it is FANTASTIC. The park is not real crowded until you get to December 20 - January 1 but then NOT as bad as summer.

I have been during June, July, and August. I think I will lock myself in a sauna for a week and save money. It feels the same and is the same amount of FUN. If that is the ONLY time to go, then go ahead. I had to take girlfriend and her kids in 1999 and 2000 because of school and her vacation but it was hot and unpleasent. The kids had a blast, I had heat stroke.

If you can get a chance to go to Disneyworld during December...YES GO FOR IT.

There are 100s of things to do in Orlando beside go to Disney. I know some friends that went for 10 days and the kids wanted to go to Disneyworld each day but the dad went 1 day but he went and watched the Orlando Magic (Shaq) train/practice and he also went and watch a baseball team. He drove a NASCAR race car while they were there and he hung out at the pool, played golf each day. He had a blast. They also have Disney water parks and other things the everybody loved. The water parks are not open in December.

He enjoyed Epcot and Disney/MGM Studios and the Wildlife/Animal park (I have never been there but it is great I heard) and I think your husband would also.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
Janet89

Thanks kbradley, for the info. We're definately going to try to avoid summer, if possible.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
pamlet
Super Ultra Member

Hi there,
You mentioned possibly late May - I know that can be a bit of a crap shoot - though we were there at the end of May in 2005 - it was very nice weather .. a little warm but not overly so ... also our "boys" were 16 and 21 so we were scrambling for rides and stuff .. just a lot of walking and catching up from the last time we were there.

I SO want to go back - we originally were supposed to be there last week, but family issues had us spend our vacation in Chicago .. (no touristy stuff.. unless you count visiting assisted living facilities... )

SO I'm hoping we can get there maybe .... well who knows when...

Have fun ... you're right - now is a great age with your son ... it's so much fun when they still get excited by the characters! BUT sometimes they never do lose the excitement of the magic.... my oldest DS and his wife went on their honeymoon last October... it was her very first time going at age 24 and she's now a Disney addict....
Old 03-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #15
ThunderHockeyFan
Super Ultra Member

I still get excited to see the characters!!!

Closed Thread