1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Local Branson / Tri-Lakes Area Issues

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 06:18 AM   #1
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Would you ride a gondola across Branson?

The Idea Moves Forward:

"The concept is to take riders across town from the Branson Landing all the way to Silver Dollar City. A one way ride would take about 45 minutes.

The gondola would have 10 stops along the 76 strip.

It could help Branson's traffic problem and become the nation's first urban gondola.

City aldermen like that American Gondola Inc, the company developing the plans, is not asking for taxpayer funding.

Thursday, the council discussed an agreement to allow the company to keep designing and planning without fear of the city letting anyone steal their idea.

Investors want to know that the city likes the idea before they'll finance more engineering."
More here: http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Bran...405555225.html
Old 12-09-2016, 06:32 AM   #2
lsheagney
Ultra Member

A great deal of the decision whether I would ride this would be the cost. If the cost was similar to public transportation such as for a bus, and not extremely high in cost simply because it is unique, then probably in some circumstances would be something I would use in a limited manner.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
bottomdweller

I would probably do it once just to check it out.
I wouldn't use it as a means for transportation, just to see what it is like one time.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
OkieAnon

I don't know, good definite answer isn't it. For the most part I think it would be hard to give up my car, you buy something run out throw it in the car, spur of the moment let's run down to Dana's jump in the car and go. I don't think the traffic is really that bad anymore since Branson has sprawled out, not like it was with one 2 lane road down the strip as the only way to get anywhere.

The idea though of transportation right up to the gate or tram stop at SDC might be something to think about, no parking problems. Same with going to the Landing, usually don't buy much there mostly sightsee, ride the gondola and not fight thru all the downtown traffic and look for a parking spot. Overall, guess wait and see attitude.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsheagney View Post
A great deal of the decision whether I would ride this would be the cost. If the cost was similar to public transportation such as for a bus, and not extremely high in cost simply because it is unique, then probably in some circumstances would be something I would use in a limited manner.
This year old article makes reference to costs.
The system would operate 18 hours a day, from 6 a.m. to midnight, and 10-and-a-half months out of the year. The gondola cars would be wheelchair accessible and have room for items like bicycles.

Riders would buy passes for a day or more, as opposed to paying for individual rides. A three-day pass would likely be about $27, or $9 a day, Green said, but otherwise pricing is still being discussed.

"The question we have is what 's the one-day pass going to run," Green said. "It's not going to work at $9."

I can't put my hands on it at the moment, but I've seen other pricing that had a one day price as well as a season pass aimed at commuters (really?)
At any rate, I'm sure there is a lot more discussion to come.

Good Better Best, Never let it Rest Until Your Good Is Better and Your Better is BEST..
Old 12-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

Probably not, except maybe for one time.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
justgohogs

in a heart-beat
Old 12-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

I think it's a pretty cool idea!
Public Transportation with spectacular views.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

Pricing is going to be interesting. Here's a couple to compare with:
1. The Roosevelt Island Tramway, which links Roosevelt Island to Upper East Side Manhattan. It's a 4 minute ride, each way, and it costs $2.75 per way, same as a subway ticket. If you take the proposed 45 minute trip from the Landing to SDC, and divide that by 4 minutes, you get 11.25. Then mulitply that by $2.75, and that turns out to be $30.93 each way, to have the same theoretical profit margin.
2. The Lake Tahoe/Heavenly Gondola, takes a person from lake level Tahoe (about 6000 feet) up to the top of the mountain (Heavenly) at 9,123 feet. It's a 2.4 mile ride, each way, takes about 15 minutes each way. It's price is around $50, round trip. Multiply that by 1.5 to equal the supposed 45 minute Branson journey, and you are looking at $75, one way, or $150 round trip, for same profit margin.

So going to be interesting to see how they price this proposed Branson deal!

And, what are they going to do when there is a fast moving thunderstorm/lightning moving into the area, as happens throughout the spring and summer? Shut it down? Leave the riders hanging in the gondolas while lightning bounces around them, and high winds rock them back and forth? I dunno....I know with Heavenly, anytime a lightning bolt is observed anywhere within a 10 mile radius of the ride, they immediately bring all passengers back to the lower elevation and shut the ride down until the threat is gone, and that takes only 15-20 minutes on average. I guess since there will be 10 "stop points" along the way, they can disembark riders at those locations, but then they may be stuck for an hour, or 2 or 3 hours, while the storm passes through.
So, lots of questions that must be addressed by this group before this thing becomes even "talkingly" feasable!

Last edited by leftsaidted; 12-09-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

as far as tourists point of view.. 9 bucks, round trip 1 1/2 hours.. if you want to see the sights from a birds eye view.? cheap.!!

WWAAYYYY cheaper than the Ferris Wheel, and much more to see
Old 12-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #11
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Here's an update from Branson Tri-Lakes:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_...ba2383fd7.html

The aldermen have postponed a decision. Among other things there are some eminent domain concerns.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalmatianDad View Post
This year old article makes reference to costs.
The system would operate 18 hours a day, from 6 a.m. to midnight, and 10-and-a-half months out of the year. The gondola cars would be wheelchair accessible and have room for items like bicycles.

Riders would buy passes for a day or more, as opposed to paying for individual rides. A three-day pass would likely be about $27, or $9 a day, Green said, but otherwise pricing is still being discussed.

"The question we have is what 's the one-day pass going to run," Green said. "It's not going to work at $9."

I can't put my hands on it at the moment, but I've seen other pricing that had a one day price as well as a season pass aimed at commuters (really?)
At any rate, I'm sure there is a lot more discussion to come.
I found the quote regarding pricing that I could not locate for the post above.

Anyway, this comes from the Joplin Globe.
Costs are still being worked out but as of now a full-day pass would cost $15 per person; $20 for a two-day pass; $24 for a three-day pass; and $30 for a week.

There would be special prices and monthly or yearly passes for residents who could use the gondola as a form of public transportation; the cost would be aligned with traditional public transportation, Green said.

The project has stirred a tremendous amount of interest, Best said.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #13
OkieAnon

one thing I've always thought was sort of ironic about this thing... they've went to a lot of work on the Spirit of 76 Project and as I've read the project page and news story's one thing they always talk about is removing utility lines from sight to improve the look of the strip area

.... so now put up a gondola with more lines?
Old 12-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
sixgun64658

i agree bad idea.removing power lines is great. then putting something back up...why
Old 12-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #15
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Most new construction include buried cable, utility lines.
Branson theaters and Empire District Electric Company have used fiber optic for years.

Closed Thread