1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

So what's this about MNtraveler being engaged?

Some of the people from 1branson are also on Facebook, and they have seen my status change to "engaged". I thought I should say something here to end all the speculation and talk behind my back.

After Rosie passed I was desperately lonely here in Branson. There was really NO ONE here that I could get together with regularly. I had no relatives here and no close friends. Some of the board buddies had been very nice and made arrangements to meet me, but I always felt like kind of a 5th wheel. Virtually everyone my age is part of a married couple, and it is hard being the single in a group of marrieds. There were a few occasions where I asked members if they would like to meet me for breakfast or lunch at Chester's, and I did not receive a response. That is OK. I know everyone here has their own life to live, and that I could not count on "pity dates" to give me companionship.

So about 5 weeks ago I met a woman from Springfield via the Internet. Our intention was companionship and NOTHING else. I even told her I was not ready for anything else at this point. But after meeting we found we had an unbelievable amount in common. She also lost a spouse to illness after 30 years of marriage. I spent most of my life working for a University; she works as an enrollment counselor at a University in Springfield. My college major was business administration; she has a Bachelor's in Business Administration and is currently working on her MBA. I have two kids ages 32 and 26; she has two kids ages 31 and 24. It was incredibly easy to talk with her. We were so comfortable with each other it was like we had known each other for years. We both felt it was more than chance that brought us together.

We fell in love, even though that was the last thing I ever intended. I am a commitment kind of guy... I don't like "playing the field". So knowing how we felt about each other I proposed marriage and she accepted. We WILL NOT be getting married right away. Our plan is for a wedding in December 2010. We know more time needs to pass, and that we need to continue to grow together before being married. But we both wanted the commitment that marriage was our goal.

I still love Rosie and will always cherish the 30 years we had together. She still loves Jim and will always cherish the 30 years they had together. We've talked about it and we both expect to keep mementos and pictures of our prior marriage in our home when we are married. Rosie and Jim will always be a part of us; there would be no reason to pretend that didn't exist.

I've met Ann's parents, sisters, son, daughter, grandson and two nieces. They are all supportive of our relationship. I've talked with my kids about it and they are happy for me. My daughter says it will be hard getting used to the idea of her dad being with someone other than her mom, but that would be the case whether I was married a year from now or five years from now.

I feel I have made a good choice. I did not just fall in love with a "pretty face", but with someone who was what I wanted in virtually every way. I did not ask for any of this to happen. If I could go back and spend the rest of my life with Rosie that is what I would want. But I cannot do that. That choice was taken from me. All I have done is tried to survive in a place where I knew no one the best I could. Yes, this IS fast. Faster than I would have ever expected. But like I say, we will not be married for over a year, so we are certainly giving it time.

If some here want to condemn me for what I am doing I am prepared for that. I guess I would ask that you not judge me unless you've walked a mile in my shoes. It is far different than you would ever anticipate.

I hope some here can be happy for me. If not, I understand. In the end it is my life, and I am truly trying to do what I feel is best.

Good Times in Branson
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Linda Kay
Ultra Member

I am happy for you. I know that it must be very hard to be alone all the time.

I think you should do what makes you happy, and not worry about what other people think. It's a big plus that your kids are happy for you!

Congratulations!!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Grizzly
in perpetual hybernation

Condemn You???? Heck I think it is GREAT!!!! Congradulations

Old 12-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
lkb5271
Super Ultra Member

Congrats!!! This is great news! I am happy for you. You are approaching it the right way by being engaged for a year. This will give everyone the time they need to adjust. My family can relate to your life experience with becoming a widow way to young in your life. First my mom became a widow at 45 (she is now 76), then my DD at age 21. My mom never remarried because she wanted to move in with my grandmother to help her until grandma's recent death this past Feb. My DD just recently became engaged and we could not be happier that she has someone to share her and our GS life with....
again this is awesome news....it goes only to prove that you loved being married and sharing your life, and it sounds like you have found someone that you have a lot in common with...how lucky for you!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Well MNTraveler, I would say I was surprised, but I'm not. Little bird told me something was going on with you and noticed you hadn't been posting as much.

If this is what both of you want, then I am happy for you. Seems you have a lot in common. I think it is good that you are taking a year to really think it over and make sure it is what you want to do.

You and I have had some real battles in the News/Politics Section, but I am glad that you have found someone you want to be with.

Now, you told us a lot about her in your post, which was nice since you didn't really owe us any explanation, but you forgot one thing that I just must ask after all our posts on the News/Politics Section.

Is she a Conservative or is she a Liberal.

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOW GAL View Post
Now, you told us a lot about her in your post, which was nice since you didn't really owe us any explanation, but you forgot one thing that I just must ask after all our posts on the News/Politics Section.

Is she a Conservative or is she a Liberal.

I don't know. From our conversations I'm guessing she is a moderate, probably moderate from the conservative side. I've never really asked. To tell you the truth, it just isn't that important to me.

Good Times in Branson
Old 12-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post

I don't know. From our conversations I'm guessing she is a moderate, probably moderate from the conservative side. I've never really asked. To tell you the truth, it just isn't that important to me.

Well, at least I got a laugh out of you.

If you think she might be a moderate from the conservative side, maybe she will join the board and we can have some good conversations.

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
LAURIEB
resident

Wonderful news

GOD bless you both, I know = as a single woman = how lonely
Branson can be. I could not be happier for you both, and look
forward to your wedded bliss. By the way, you haven't mentioned
Kensie lately. How is the little one doing?
=================
Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
OkieAnon

your personal life is certainly none of my business, if you're happy though... great, i'm happy for you. i've just been glad to see you posting again the last couple of days.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAURIEB View Post
GOD bless you both, I know = as a single woman = how lonely
Branson can be. I could not be happier for you both, and look
forward to your wedded bliss. By the way, you haven't mentioned
Kensie lately. How is the little one doing?
Kenzie is doing really well. She loves it when Ann visits. She really is a two person dog... she always hated it when either Rosie or I were away. She has been really lost since it has been just me. When Ann is over Kenzie follows here around like a, well like a little puppy dog!!

Good Times in Branson
Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
ozarkman
Living the Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Kenzie is doing really well. She loves it when Ann visits. She really is a two person dog... she always hated it when either Rosie or I were away. She has been really lost since it has been just me. When Ann is over Kenzie follows here around like a, well like a little puppy dog!!

I am very happy for you!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

If you are happy, that's all that counts.

Your relationship isn't what made people roll their eyes, it was the splashy gooshy mushy Facebook approach. But then again, that is only your business.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
If you are happy, that's all that counts.

Your relationship isn't what made people roll their eyes, it was the splashy gooshy mushy Facebook approach. But then again, that is only your business.
Well, what can I say? Even Rosie's brother Tim said at her memorial service that he had come to realize what a "mushy guy" I was. How it was so wonderful that after all the years we had been married I would still come down to breakfast and give her a big kiss to start the day and tell her how much I loved her. That is just me.

Good Times in Branson
Old 12-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
nannac
Super Ultra Member

Condemn you??? Never!!! Congratulations are in order. I believe the Lord works in mysterious ways, and he had a hand in this relationship. Congratulations!!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
FloozieLoozie

We all go through this life at a different pace....and as you well know, life is too short to waste a minute not living it to the fullest!!! Congratulations.

Floozie

Closed Thread