1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Recipes, Cooking, & More

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
lucyann
Super Ultra Member

Question Chocolate no bakes

I'm looking for a recipe for Chocolate No Bakes. Please accept my apologies if someone has posted a recipe in the past. I have found recipes that have more/less cocoa and some with/without milk. I'm not sure which recipe to use.
Also, what's the secret to making these really good? I've had some that probably didn't have enough cocoa or maybe too much of another ingredient that took away from the chocolate taste. The no bake was actually pale in chocolate color. I also don't want to make a runny or dry and crumbly no bake. I've heard the secret is in the cooking/boiling part of the preparation.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

I make them almost every week lucyann, will be making some tomorrow morning.

Here's my favorite recipe, which I got from one of my Amish friends. Very easy, and they're nice and soft inside.

1 stick butter
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
4 cups Oats

Place oats in a large bowl, mix in peanut butter. (I just kind of smash it around a bit.

Cook the butter, sugar, cocoa and milk until well dissolved (about 3 minutes), stirring constantly. Add vanilla, then pour over the oat & peanut butter mixture. Stir well, let cool slightly to drop. (mixture will look loose when it's first combined)...that's why you need to let it sit for about 5 minutes

Drop by rounded Tablespoons on waxed paper. Let cool.

I usually use quick oats.

Hope you give them a try!
Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Critter
Super Ultra Member

I need to try this recipe. I use to try it in years past and mine didn't turn out good. Gave the recipe to my MIL and she still makes them without a problem. I LOVE to eat them!!!!! Holly got to make some in some class a couple of weeks ago. I want to say science class. Not sure.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
QueenAngie
Super Ultra Member

I use the same recipe....except add a dash of salt
and coconut.

Melt on the stove as she does,
at the end, mix in the peanut butter into the hot mixture,
then add the oatmeal & coconut.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
Lulu

I love these but have never been able to make them. Mine are always too hard. I guess I always cook them too long, but I WILL try your method. Sounds very good.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsRUs View Post
I make them almost every week lucyann, will be making some tomorrow morning.

Here's my favorite recipe, which I got from one of my Amish friends. Very easy, and they're nice and soft inside.

1 stick butter
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
4 cups Oats

Place oats in a large bowl, mix in peanut butter. (I just kind of smash it around a bit.

Cook the butter, sugar, cocoa and milk until well dissolved (about 3 minutes), stirring constantly. Add vanilla, then pour over the oat & peanut butter mixture. Stir well, let cool slightly to drop. (mixture will look loose when it's first combined)...that's why you need to let it sit for about 5 minutes

Drop by rounded Tablespoons on waxed paper. Let cool.

I usually use quick oats.

Hope you give them a try!
Does it make any difference with the consistency of the batter if you use smooth or crunchy peanut butter.

We like the crunch peanut butter but it does not seem to have the same creaminess as the regular.

These sound very good. Thanks for the recipe.

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
Old 10-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAngie View Post
and coconut.

While some baking needs a little salt to enhance the flavors, these definately don't need any added salt.

If I'm going to use coconut, then I omit the oats and use just coconut to make chocolate HayStacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOW GAL
Does it make any difference with the consistency of the batter if you use smooth or crunchy peanut butter.

We like the crunch peanut butter but it does not seem to have the same creaminess as the regular.

These sound very good. Thanks for the recipe.
I usually use the creamy, but don't think it would hurt to use the crunchy. You're right, it usually is a drier peanut butter, so you might add a Tablepoon extra butter. (or just a dash more milk)
Old 10-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsRUs View Post
While some baking needs a little salt to enhance the flavors, these definately don't need any added salt.

If I'm going to use coconut, then I omit the oats and use just coconut to make chocolate HayStacks.

I usually use the creamy, but don't think it would hurt to use the crunchy. You're right, it usually is a drier peanut butter, so you might add a Tablepoon extra butter. (or just a dash more milk)
Thanks for the help. Anxious to try them.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
lucyann
Super Ultra Member

If I use old fashion oats, do you think I need to give them one quick whir in the food processor? Isn't that the difference in quick and old fashion? Old fashion is a larger grain and quick is processed a bit to make it a smaller grain?
I will be making these this week with DD and DS learning how to also.

Last edited by lucyann; 10-04-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyann View Post
If I use old fashion oats, do you think I need to give them one quick whir in the food processor? Isn't that the difference in quick and old fashion? Old fashion is a larger grain and quick is processed a bit to make it a smaller grain?
I will be making these this week with DD and DS learning how to also.
Yes you can give them a quick whirl, but don't break them down too much.
That's what I do if I'm using old fashion oats. You can use them whole, you'll just have a coarser textured cookie. So barely whirling them works better.

Steel cut don't work good in this, they'll upsorb too much of the liquid and make them drier.

I only buy quick for a few recipes. I buy Whole Oats (old fashion) and I keep a large container processed into a course meal to use in my Honey Oat Bread, in Meat Loaf, things like that.

The first time I made this recipe, I was tempted to put in more Oats, because it looks too thin. But once it starts to set up in the bowl for about 5 minutes, they'll round up on the wax paper really nice.

It's all in the cooking of the sugar, butter and milk.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
shis1
Str8fn

Stars,

If you substitue coconut, do you use the same amount of coconut as the oats the recipe calls for. I"ve made this recipe with oats a lot, but coconut sound really good.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
Stars,

If you substitue coconut, do you use the same amount of coconut as the oats the recipe calls for. I"ve made this recipe with oats a lot, but coconut sound really good.
I would have to check for sure Shis, but I think it is pretty close to the same amount.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
CHRISTISAM2001
El Grando Branson Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAngie View Post
and coconut.

The recipe I use also calls for a dash of salt. A lady at church uses pet milk in hers and they are really good.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTISAM2001 View Post
The recipe I use also calls for a dash of salt. A lady at church uses pet milk in hers and they are really good.
What kind of "PET"

Knew somebody was going to do it so figured I would be the one.

Thanks for the variance to the recipe. I have some dishes where I substitute evaporated milk for the whole milk and it gives them a very good taste.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
ashbris
Super Ultra Member

After reading this thread the other day, I thought I would try the Amish recipe yesterday.....I learned 2 things.

1. I got scared at the last minute and backed out and went ahead and let them start boiling. I believe there is a scientific method to a good no bake cookie. And that it is all in the cooking/boiling time......too little and they are gooey too long and they are crumbly. My family LOVES these....somewhere I went wrong, I think it was when I panicked haha and they are GOOEY, did I mention that we eat them no matter how they turn out????

2. This is the one thing I can not turn down and I have no clue how many Weight Watcher points they are!!

Closed Thread