1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Eureka Springs Arkansas

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 04:38 PM   #1
BigBransonFan

Question How much time?

How much time should we plan on staying in ES if we take a day trip down from Branson?

We have never been and just wondering how long it takes to see the town.

Anything a must see?

Old 08-22-2002, 08:05 AM   #2
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

OK -- here goes . . .

Leave early to mid-morning -- best way to get there and get a parking spot downtown (By the way they do charge you to park downtown). Get a ticket for the trolley and take the trolley tour around town. They also tell you where all they stop so if you see somewhere you want to look - just hop off the trolley and wait for the next one by. Or, park downtown and walk the historic district -- lots of shops, lots of restaurants (of course our favorite is DeVito's Italian Restaurant), also just east of town on 62 is the entrance to the Passion Play and Christ of the Ozarks. There is also a part of the Berlin Wall there. A little further east on 62 is the entrance to the Onyx Cave. Small cave but very interesting. West of the historic district is the Thorncrown Glass Chapel and Worship Center. You can spend an entire day in Eureka and surrounding areas (can you tell yet). There is also a home that they call the Castle that is built entirely of Rock! In fact, the floor is one large piece of rock and there is quite a history there. It is beautiful. There is also an artist community and on up toward Beaver Dam there is Dinosaur World. You can drive or walk through and was built by George Montgomery (the actor) in the 50's I believe. They also have a place that is a botanical Garden (used to be called Blue Spring - not sure what the title is now).

Honestly -- you might take the day and make some notes and sometime plan to make a short trip there (spend the night at one of the many motels -- all seem very nice) and really see the town.

We did that several years ago staying at the Crescent Hotel when they had Morris the Cat there. I was lucky enough to get a picture of Morris before he passed on several years ago. Now they have new owners and have revamped a lot of the hotel. But I believe the Crystal Room is still open and great restaurant.

Ok, enough I think. I'll probably think of other things later -- like the shows, etc. Lots to do -- make a day of it! Enjoy!

BTW -- it takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour to get there and ots of route to take.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:43 AM   #3
BigBransonFan

Thanks VBeason, sounds like this might be a destination seperate from our Branson trip!

I appreciate your input!

Old 08-28-2002, 11:55 AM   #4
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

If you end up with some extra time on your Branson Trip -- it is worth a trip.

We go down in the morning, have lunch and are back in Branson by 4-5 pm. Just make a day of the downtown area. Is fun. If you get the chance, by all means go and see the town and if you can -- make some mental notes than plan a separate trip for a few days! Is well worth it.

In fact, my hubby and I are planning just such a trip for next year. I've been compiling the places that allow pets for that purpose. Have a great trip to Branson!
Old 08-30-2002, 01:38 PM   #5
Cindy
IMRKTSTRS

Great Passion Play

Visit the Great Passion Play and be sure to take the New Holy Land Tour. It's a great experience.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:02 AM   #6
austin

Oh BBF.....

cindy is right........The Passion Play and the Tour are the most dramtic and uplifting thing you'll experience around.
Hope you get to go soon and enjoy your day.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:22 AM   #7
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

I'd say just print off this entire post and make a list of all the things mentioned. There is so much to see and do that you might want to take the day -- tour around -- plan another trip down just for there. We are. It has been several years since we stayed in Eureka for any length of time and I think we are going to do it either in the Spring of next year or Fall.

It is a totally awesome area with great sites to see and visit! Plus the great eats around the city. The shows are great, the shops are wonderful and many one of a kind things -- just go and enjoy!
Old 09-06-2002, 08:13 AM   #8
Grands
Branson's "Biggest" fan

A big thank you from my sister-in-law

They spent three days and want to go back again. They really enjoyed their time there. She was surprised how much walking there was with the Holy Land Tour. She did ask that I let people know you will be standing and walking a long time for this tour. She said several people got overheated and had to go back in the middle of it, so pick a nice cool day for this one.

She said there were good people there too. She lost her billfold and someone turned it in with everything inside just where it belonged.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:15 AM   #9
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

Glad they had a good time!

Tell them they might want to try to plan in the spring or fall when is a little cooler next time. We are thinking of driving down one day in November to see the Christmas decorations around town when we next visit Branson.

Tell her to keep her list and next time pick up where they left off this time.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:08 PM   #10
k-2
Ultra Member

Had a friend-that has since moved- that used to go to Eureka Springs in late October and early November. This was an annual anniversary trip for them. She said that many of the places were closed at that time. The last time we talked about Eureka Springs was a year or so ago. Anyone know if things close down for the winter?
Old 09-09-2002, 08:51 AM   #11
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

I think more are staying open a little later in the year.

It seems that a lot of the shops do close down after the season, but with the expanded season in Branson and people doing the old day-trip thing -- I think more is staying open. You might try the Eureka SPrings Website for more information.

www.eurekasprings.com They might have more information and they update their site all the time. They also have a message board that might be of help.

Closed Thread