1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Eureka Springs Arkansas

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 04:39 PM   #1
cheri
Ultra Member

tell me about Eureka Springs

Can someone tell me what Eureka Springs has to offer for shopping/dining, etc., and how far it is from Branson?
Thanks!
Old 08-10-2002, 08:30 PM   #2
scissortail
~*~*~*~*~*~

Cheri, Eureka Springs is a neat little town! It's about an hour from Branson, and they have a lot of antique, and gift shops downtown.
There is a hotel there, the Cresent(?), that was in Ripley's Believe it or Not. Because all eight (or is it nine) floors are on 'ground level'. You just have to see it to know what I mean.
There used to be an excursion train. I'm not sure if it's still there or not.
There is also the Great Passion Play, and Thorn Crown Chapel, that are worth seeing!
If you've never been, it is worth the trip, in my opinion!
Old 08-10-2002, 08:42 PM   #3
cheri
Ultra Member

Thanks Leslie! We were just sitting here tonight, planning our trip (we leave next Saturday), and while we were looking at the Branson information that the Chamber sent us, we came across Eureka Springs. I just KNEW someone here would be able to help. It sounds like our kind of town, since we LOVE antiquing. Of course Ozark is pretty hard to beat when it comes to antiquing, but we really enjoy finding new places to explore.
Thanks again for the information Leslie....
Old 08-10-2002, 08:44 PM   #4
LadyDrifter
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Eureka Springs

Eureka Springs is a neat place. In my opinion it is not like Branson at all. It does offer lots of shopping, and The Great Passion Play and Holy Land Tour are awesome. I could spend lots of time looking around there by itself. Eureka Springs does offer some different dining experiences. For example... one of the last times we ate there we went to a German restaurant. That was neat. The whole town just has a different "feel" to it than Branson. Some of the historic loop is very narrow and windy. Was glad to be in a Geo Metro that day... especially when we met a trolly. You can get just about anywhere via trolly. Not sure that isn't the best way. At the Cresent Hotel you can take a ride in a horse drawn carriage. Very romantic. One thing I didn't see a lot of was go- cart tracks, putt putt... that type of stuff. Maybe just one or two places. If you like to shop... this is the place for you! Oh... one other thing... if you plan on going.. especially on a weekend... I suggest reserving a room. A lot of weekends they have special events going on in town and rooms book up fast. Some months it is every weekend. This has just been my experience.... others may offer better and different advice. Have a great time!

Karen
Old 08-10-2002, 09:21 PM   #5
Jerm
Super Ultra Member

I will add my two cents too, lol. Eureka Springs is what I would consider an artist community. It is kind of old meets the new. The town is filled with victorian style homes and buildings done in the colors of the victorian period. The artists are what I would consider kind of "new age". I like to drive around there and look at the residential houses. I found a place there that is a writer's colony where writers can go and be "inspired". I also like to check out what kinds of yard ornaments they have outside of their homes. You find statues of different types of gods, and all different types of modern art. Very interesting! As far as food you won't find many chain restaurants but they still have Pizza Hut and a victorian style McDonalds. They do have shows in Eureka Springs. The only show I have seen there is "Pine Mountain Jamboree". This a music show that has lots of different variety. I would liken it to Presleys in Branson. Speaking of Presleys, the entertainers that own and sing in the "Pine Mountian Jamboree" are cousins to the Presleys. They are the Drennons and you can see how they favor each other. Here is a link to the show and when the page opens the guy standing to the left of the girl dressed in blue is one of the Drennons. Also when the page opens scroll to the very bottom and there are links there to Eureka Springs. http://www.pinemountainjamboree.com There are other shows to including the "Passion Play". I have never seen it but plan on doing so sometime. I don't think the shows are Branson quality but they are still very enjoyable As far as lodging, Eureka Springs has ample. They have always appeared to me to be very nice. They always look nice and clean. Here is another link to an interesting lodging idea. http://www.turpentinecreek.org This is an animal refuge that houses tigers, lions and such. They now have "tree houses" where you can stay the night and watch and listen to the tigers right outside your door. They are caged in of course but I thought that would make for an interesting outing. Another hotel that has already been mentioned is the "Cresent Hotel". The Hotel is suppossed to be haunted. From other posters I learned they have a ghost tour of the hotel. I think I would enjoy that very much. I might have to check that out closer to Halloween. Last Halloween some friends and I went to a corn maze and after watching the movie "Signs" I don't think that is something I will do again, lol I like to be scared can you tell! As was stated earlier lots of shopping especially in the antiques arena. Have fun!
Old 08-10-2002, 09:31 PM   #6
cheri
Ultra Member

Thanks for the great information Ladydrifter and Jerm. I can always depend on my buddies!
Old 08-11-2002, 08:17 AM   #7
Locknload

Eureka

There is not much there for kids to do but it is a great getaway for adults. There a LOT of bed and breakfast inns there and several nice motels. The Cresent Hotel is the one supposed to be Haunted, we took the ghost tour and it was a lot of fun. I think the Basin Park hotel is the one with a ground level exit on all 7 floors.

If you like Italian food try Ermillios. Its in an old house so there is not a lot of tabels and you may have to wait awhile if you go at peak times, but the food is worth the wait. There are also places to get a message, we went to the Gryphons Roost and it was fantastic. The have several Victorian houses that you can tour, and its fun just to drive around the narrow, winding streets and look at the houses.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:21 AM   #8
Locknload

links

forgot to posts some links in my previous post, try these:

http://www.eurekasprings.org/

www.eurekasprings.com

http://www.eureka-springs-ghost.com/index.htm

here is an Eureka springs message board:

http://www.eurekasprings.com/cgi-bin...i?action=intro
Old 08-11-2002, 09:53 AM   #9
cheri
Ultra Member

Thanks IcraveBranson and Locknload! I can't wait to check it out!
Old 08-11-2002, 12:24 PM   #10
Jerm
Super Ultra Member

ICraveBranson,
Yeah that is a different show you are talking about. They have a few shows but some of them I can't remember what they are called. I just remember the "Passion Play" & "Pine Mountain Jamboree". "Christ of the Ozarks" is something to see, so make sure and check it out
Old 08-11-2002, 04:01 PM   #11
bransoninsider
Ultra Member

Question Louise Mandrell, Bart Rockett

Didn't Barbara Mandrell's sister have a show in Eureka Springs or am I confusing that with someone or somewhere else?

Also Bart Rockett had a show in Eureka Springs before he was discovered by the World of Magic's producer and brought to Branson.

I would like to know if there are other shows in Eureka in the theaters where Louise and Bart once performed?
Old 08-11-2002, 07:40 PM   #12
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

Tater Patches is Mike Nichols.

I've kown Mike Nichols for many, many years when he was one of the members of a group in KC known as the Funn Company. They not only did the usual play for the crowd to dance, but they also did a las vegas type floor show every weekend. It was a blast. He left the band and we lost track of him. But low and behold, he surfaced in Eureka Springs. He has a fabulous show. Between his characters of Tater and Uncle Posture "Pedic", he is the consumate entertainer. He also does a wonderful impression set where he does Elvis, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and others. He is a bundle of talent and I'm so glad he has found a place that he can show off that talent.

As far as eating goes -- the restaurant at the Crescent hotel was very good (bythe way that is the hotel that is supposedly haunted). The other hotel is the New Orleans I believe that has an access to ground level at every floor. There is an excellent stitchery shop (for cross stitch, crewel, etc.), great fudge at the Two Dumb Dames Fudge Factory, and wonderful italian at DeVitos. In fact we can honestly say that our main reason to go to Eureka is to go to DeVitos and Two Dumb Dames. Is a beautiful city.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:40 PM   #13
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

So, am I right in thinking that Eureka Springs is sorta "hippie" and an artists community?

Suselit
Old 08-12-2002, 06:02 PM   #14
Jerm
Super Ultra Member

yep Suselit you hit the nail on the head, lol. Have you never been before? There is even a store called "Two Strange Guys" or "Two Weird Guys" something like that, I can't remember exactly what it is. Think about that one for a bit
Old 08-12-2002, 06:19 PM   #15
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

No, I've never been. But, I guess, I have to now....just to see what it's all about.

Suselit

Closed Thread