Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
PatiCake101
Super Ultra Member

Thumbs up Opened A Shelter Today

Hi gang,

Just wanted to report that the Community Center where I work was turned into a Red Cross Shelter today. I started at 8:00 this morning, and only got home about 11:00 tonight. Folks....you cannot believe the goodness in people when it comes to this!! I have taken in donations today from early this morning until I left tonight.

We had over 300 storm refugees in our local hotel/motels....had them filled and we decided that we had to do something. These folks are running out of money, they've been paying for lodging and meals since Sunday. The Ministereal Alliance contacted us late yesterday aftenoon, there was a meeting last night, and in a flash...it was happening. About half of those have moved on to try to get to relatives, or have turned back, trying to get back as close to home as possible, but we still have about 140, and are expecting more. It is SOOO sad y'all....we have one little boy who only has one leg, and they left in a hurry and forgot his prostheic leg...we are buying crutches for him tomorrow. There are three newborns, one born two days before they left. Most of these people know that they have nothing left, and two were hired on the spot at one of our local companies, while standing in our Community Center today! The goodness of the people in our community is just wonderful. I finally had to tell people that we just couldn't take anymore food, clothes, personal items, honestly....we look like a Super Walmart! I had calls offering eveything under the sun....it was amazing. The churches are feeding them hot cooked meals for lunch and supper (dinner some places!) and we have anything else thay could possibly want at our center. The schools have already today enrolled most of the kids.

These people are so, so grateful. They come in crying, and confused, and in shock, they can't seem to take their eyes off the TV, but when they see that we are offering every service from emergency Social Security funding, to food stamps, to unemployment benefits, to jobs....they seem so relieved.

There are still lots of good, good folks in this country. If I doubted how many....the last 24 hours has proved it to me. This is going to be a long, hard struggle, we just have to keep at it.

Just wanted to share...I am so excited that I am getting to be involved in helping. I was envious of NascarDuck when he said that he may take time off and go down and help. Now I am getting to help from here.

I am also completely exhausted....so with that....I think I will hit the shower and the bed!
Old 09-02-2005, 05:08 AM   #2
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Patty,
I'm hugging you through the Board. What a terrific thing you and your Center and your town are doing!
Old 09-02-2005, 05:38 AM   #3
Don Baker Sr
Super Ultra Member

Wat to Go PatiCake..........db
________
Discuss vaporizers

Last edited by Don Baker Sr; 02-10-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:31 AM   #4
jakwi
Super Ultra Member

I imagine the rest of us in the U.S.A. can't imagine the scope of this disaster. It's wonderful that you can help like you have.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:42 AM   #5
engel
Super Ultra Member

You're simply the best!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:48 AM   #6
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

How wonderful.........

I dont know if anyone has posted in here the generosity of Branson as well.

I saw on the TV the interview of a man who came this far north with his family.
They were discussing how the HOTEL owners were going to offer rooms to the homeless. The Restaurants were offering meals. And the schools would be accepting their children, and feeding them while they were in school.

I know there was many more things said........but,........AMERICANS are alot better than the NEWS MEDIA is showing.........

Again the bad news far out weighs the good news.........but WE KNOW THE LOVE AND CARING AND MONEY IS THERE........it just isnt making the front pages of our nations newspapers............and help isnt as quick as instant coffee...........response takes a few more minutes.

Blaming others for what isnt getting done is what is happening, but like Patti has described here..........THE GOOD NEWS IS WHAT IS GETTING DONE.

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR COMMUNITY PATTI.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:03 AM   #7
fours
Catch Cyclone Fever!

That is just wonderful that your helping to provide the basic needs. Just breaks my heart watching it all on tv.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:27 AM   #8
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

Bless you Pati! You are one in a million. Hugs through the internet your way and pass it on to those who are working with you!

Our Children's Mercy Hospital is also taking in some of the kids that need attention. Our hospital ranks right up there with St. Jude's so they are getting ready for more patients. Hugs to them as well!

Vickie
Old 09-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #9
Branson Mom
Just me

That's great Patticake!

Cheesecake, Branson has open arms.
The principal told the kids at the High School yesterday that they were going to let anyone in that needed to be there and take care of everything. lunches, waive proof of residency, etc. They're not sure how many to expect, but they're preparing for them. The kids are also collecting money and canned goods for the victims. I sent off a big bag of groceries and change with Branson Son this morning.

As for the rest of Branson, Hotels are offering available rooms, Restuarants are offering free meals, Schools are open for the kids, for some emotional relief, shows are offering complimentary tickets and they're even hoping to be able to find some of these folks jobs.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:13 AM   #10
labpup89
IL Roots Planted in IA

Patti - God Bless You and your community! I am so glad to hear your story of help and hope, especially after watching all the mayhem on the TV. Same to everyone else, like Branson Mom, VBeason, and Cheesecake, who have indicated that their communities are helping too. I think we all knew good things had to be happening somewhere.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:59 AM   #11
PUMPKIN
pumpkin

Cool

PATTY I'M SENDING A RED ROSE, TO MAKE YOUR DAY BETTER.

Last edited by PUMPKIN; 10-05-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #12
CLUCKINGHEN
Ultra Member

This type of crisis always brings out the best and worst in people. Unfortunaly, it is usually the worst that gets reported in the media. I think for the most part America is full of wonderful caring people, who dont always get along, but always pull together when there is a need. God Bless All
Old 09-02-2005, 10:07 AM   #13
NascarDuck3
Beer Bucket Regular

FANTASTIC PatiCake !!!!! I tried to take off from work but my boss said we had to many big studies coming up and that I'm needed here I think what YOU and the people of Arkansas and all over are doing to help is GREAT ! I know that even us here in Nebraska are getting refuges from La. also.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #14
ggh
Super User

Paticake - I sent you a pm, if you don't get it, let me know.

Our local school has already absorbed a couple of families, and I'm sure there are more coming this way.

I am planning to find an outlet, where I can volunteer locally, to fix meals, or help with the free clinic - to lessen the burden on the folks who do this everyday, and to help fill a gap that has been left by somone who is going to the rescue closer to the hurricaines.

As individuals, and as a nation, we should all be doing something to help - $$, time, prayers, goods, services, hospitality... eveyone has something they can do to be of assistance ~ I challenge you to find your niche and be blessed.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #15
libraria
Super Ultra Member

You go, girl. This is fantastic...

Closed Thread