1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Eureka Springs Arkansas

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 08:01 AM   #1
LBColorado

Short Visit?

Hi. We want to come to ESprings for a couple of days while we're in the neighborhood. What, in addition to the Passion Play (I've seen it several times - a long time ago - and enjoyed it), would you recommend as tops to see? We have at least one wood-worker who is coming from our group of about 4 families. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2003, 09:17 AM   #2
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

Thorncrown Chapel & Worship Center is one.

There are some other places -- The Castle (I think it is called), There is an artist community there, there are 2-3 different shows down there, plus there are lots of antique/specialty shops. Do plan a trip to downtown Eureka Springs and walk around the shops. Go to EurekaSprings.Com and get more information as far as what is going on and things to do. I even belong to a message board there, don't post as much as I do here, but I do go there for information about what is going on.

There are lots of great places to eat down there.

The one I mentioned in the subject line-- Thorncrown Chapel is a Glass Chapel set in the trees just west of Eureka Springs on 62 Highway. They also have a worship center at that location that is fabulous. You walk in and the entire back of it is glass and you look over the valley below.

You are also close to Beaver Dam and there are some attractions that way. Including Dinosaur World. You can walk through or drive through. It was originally built by Actor George Montgomery many many years ago. It is a hoot to go through and see, don't know if it would be anything your group would want to do, but we had fun doing it.

There is a church by the Crescent Hotel that you actually enter the church through the Bell Tower and go down to the church. It is very unique.

There is a visitors guide that you can order through the Chamber and I think you can get to that site through the EurekaSprings.Com site.

Good luck in your search. Also, I did send you another private message on the lodging in Branson.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
Eureka Spgs Mag

If your coming with families, you don't want to miss "The Mysteries of Magic" This will be their third year, and from what I hear, this year they will have even more new illusions and comedy. They are listed on EurekaSprings.com
Also, when you first get to town, go on the Tram Tour led by the City. You ride around town with about 100 people and get a narrarated tour of Eureka. They even take you to the Haunted Hotel and let you wander around inside.
I highly recogmend "Quigley's Castle" for something you will never forget. Also, there are two animal parks, and a wonderful fish hatchery at Roaring River, about 25 minutes away.
For the woodworker, there is a really nice man who owned a wood scrolling sign shop over at Pine Mountain Village. Great wood conversations.
If you want to know where to eat-Forest Hill, Myrtie Mae's, Sparkies, Ermilio's, Bubba's, Sidewalk Cafe.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:01 PM   #4
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

Quigley's Castle -- that's it! Thanks.

I could not for the life of me remember that title. I've been there but several years ago we were there with friends over Memorial Day Weekend and it was closed. Couldn't remember the name of it and didn't have my visitor's guide handy.

LBColorado -- You might check the dining suggestions in this forum for other places to eat as well.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:09 PM   #5
Eureka Spgs Mag

The people that live at the Castle right now are actually the Grandaughter (of Elise Quigley who created the house) and her family. They are really nice people who go out of their way to help anyone they can. I like to go there about 6-8 times a year to show all of my visiting guests how wonderful of an imagination Mr. Quigley had.
VBeason, thank you for all your suggestions you offer to people wanting Eurka info. All of us folks down here appreciate it.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:31 PM   #6
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

I've always thought of Eureka as my other "home away from home".

Even though we mainly get down there as Day Trips from Branson, it is still one of our favorite places. We try to get down there at least 1 to 2 times year and see what has changed and what hasn't. It is good to see the interest.

For a while I had a second reason for going down because I knew Mike Nickols here in KC when he was with a group up here many, many years ago (and I won't elaborate any more on that one). I had the chance to suprise him one night at the theatre shortly after he had bought it. I'm glad to hear that he is still doing well and now in Branson. I'll have to make it a point to catch him there.

Thanks for helping me out on the name of Quigley's Castle.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:50 PM   #7
LBColorado

Thank you for all your suggestions. It sounds like Eureka Springs is going to be a great place to visit!

Closed Thread