1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
kevinkirk51

Boat Recommendations

I am in the market for a new boat. Been looking at bass boats, both fiberglass and aluminum and also the newer center console mako boats.

Any input on this would be appreciated. What do you like? Why? I want to fish lower taneycomo, bull shoals and table rock mostly. Will set the center console up with trolling motor if i go that way just like a bass boat, etc.
THey are deeper and made for the ocean so thot maybe it would be a good choice on these lakes with the huge wakes and big boats. >

Not having been on the lakes here in season, I need some ideas. KK
Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
berliner

Boat

I enjoy the heck out of my 18 foot Baretta open bow I/O 140 Merc. I can fish and take friends and family out. I launch at Powersite here in Forsyth. Many shallow sections. I know the lake like the back of my hand. Go to the Landing for dinner with friends then come home in the dark. My boat is TOOOO small for some busy days on Tablerock unless I stay on the edges or find some coves. I enjoy the versitility of this fish and ski type. It does have a live well. So I really do enjoy fishing and playing. Some days I just cruise around and never drop a line. I took it out 28 times last season........if that gives you any clue as to my enjoyment of the local lakes. It is all about what YOU plan on doing with it. I find mine able to do all the things I like. No, I can not do 70 MPH like a bass boat. But I can go around 40 MPH and cruise for 4-6 hours for both days on the weekend and use less than 15-18 gallons. Good luck. I am personally looking at a new Tahoe Q7 I feel one of the best bang for the buck boats out there. I have been researching and shopping for about 6 months.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
kevinkirk51

Quote:
Originally Posted by berliner View Post
I enjoy the heck out of my 18 foot Baretta open bow I/O 140 Merc. I can fish and take friends and family out. I launch at Powersite here in Forsyth. Many shallow sections. I know the lake like the back of my hand. Go to the Landing for dinner with friends then come home in the dark. My boat is TOOOO small for some busy days on Tablerock unless I stay on the edges or find some coves. I enjoy the versitility of this fish and ski type. It does have a live well. So I really do enjoy fishing and playing. Some days I just cruise around and never drop a line. I took it out 28 times last season........if that gives you any clue as to my enjoyment of the local lakes. It is all about what YOU plan on doing with it. I find mine able to do all the things I like. No, I can not do 70 MPH like a bass boat. But I can go around 40 MPH and cruise for 4-6 hours for both days on the weekend and use less than 15-18 gallons. Good luck. I am personally looking at a new Tahoe Q7 I feel one of the best bang for the buck boats out there. I have been researching and shopping for about 6 months.

Have heard NOTHING good about the Tahoe. Do your homework. Even the bass pro guy told me they are not fans of the boat. There are lots of blogs about this and the construction of them. They are a GREAT buy however. I dont really understand how a huge Tahoe can be half what a bass boat is? There is less material in the bass boat, etc. And would love to have in inboard outboard bass boat or center console. So much easier to maintain, etc. I guess it does limit cold weather use.

Do you have to drain and winterize the newer inboard/outboards like we used to do? I know that was the selling point of an outboard. Can use and pull out and they drain/.

k
Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
berliner

well........

you sort of burst my bubble on the Tahoe line. However your statements WILL make me do my homework a little more.......I have been listening to the word of mouth line and each owner I have sought out for their opinion has gloated on their boats........I guess it would be frustrating to tell someone admiring your boat that they have had or are having issues with it. I appreciate your comments. Yes I have missed several nice days because mine is winterized........so that is a great selling point........frustrating seeing all the O/B's going by the house/
Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
JoseyWales

Outboard Motors

Just found your site and post here. Can you guys and gals explain 2 stroke and 4 stroke motors as far as the pros and cons of each?

I know how they work oil and no oil mix, etc. How about maintenance, upkeep, expense, working on them, life ....etc.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales View Post
Just found your site and post here. Can you guys and gals explain 2 stroke and 4 stroke motors as far as the pros and cons of each?

I know how they work oil and no oil mix, etc. How about maintenance, upkeep, expense, working on them, life ....etc.

Thanks.
This article helps.....However, it doesn't do a good job of pointing out that 2 strokes with direct injection avoid the hassle of oil/gas mixing.

http://smalloutboards.com/4Stroke.htm

Never let yesterday use up too much of today..
Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
JoseyWales

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalmationDad View Post
This article helps.....However, it doesn't do a good job of pointing out that 2 strokes with direct injection avoid the hassle of oil/gas mixing.

http://smalloutboards.com/4Stroke.htm
Worried more about thenumbers of ppl whose injectors fail and ruin the engine. In bass pro and there was a guy in there with newer motor burned up. No warranty of course. There goes $10,000
Old 03-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
JackPurvis
Ultra Member

Your choice of power and style depends on your use. I have and I/O Ranger Bass Boat since 1982 New. It is fuel efficient and VERY quiet. I fish ALL year. It has a heat exchanger cooling system don't drain the block, just the heat exchanger. Takes only seconds to open the petcocks.
If....you are a serious LAKE fisherman you need a low profile boat to keep from being blown all over the place. Especially on our lakes.
Before you invest, rent or go fishing with someone who has a boat like you are considering. Center console is great for off shore but.....the wind will create a handling challenge for you while fishing the bank in the wind. Remember the electric trolling motor MUST be attended by someone in the boat. You will either fish or navigate but not do both in the wind with a high profile boat. Look at the pros.
Nothin at all against any othe style of boat , just decide what your primary use will be.
Also remember, there is a reason that some boats are CHEAPER than others.
My Ranger (1982) Has fished and pulled skiers from Texas to Canada and is still a fine boat for MY use.
Make it a great day!
Old 03-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
JackPurvis
Ultra Member

By the way if you fish for extended periods of time your troling motor batteries must be in top notch condition and fully charged. The more and harder you work the trolling motor I.E. wind the faster you drain the batteries.
Trust me....not good to lose your power when you find the fish.
If you prefer to anchor and still fish your choice of boat is not so critical.
Make it a great day!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPurvis View Post
My Ranger (1982) Has pulled skiers from Texas to Canada and is still a fine boat for MY use.
Make it a great day!
Texas to Canada!!!! My ski legs are killing me just thinking about it. About 1/2 mile across Stone county is plenty for me..

Never let yesterday use up too much of today..
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
JoseyWales

I have learned that I dont want an aluminum bass boat due to the wind. And that I dont trust the injection systems on the newer 2 strokes. AND

WHY are boat motors so touchy. Japanese been building motorcyle engines for years that last and last. I spose the water environment?>

Anyone have one of the Verado's or similar 150 hp four stroke japaneses models? I heard that Merc is a Yamaha inside anyway above a certain hp.?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
Flips
Ultra Member

We have always had a pontoon------I can't tell you what brand or what motor it had------we bought it used several years ago-----& used the heck out of it for ----fun & fishing-----& the kids & Gkids------when we sized down we sold the boat also---------decided we would fish from the bank from now on!!!!!
But we used the heck out of that pontoon for many years----I love to fish also----Hubby says I like to fish better than he does-----& that is saying something!!!!!!
Best wishes with what ever you buy & ENJOY!!!!!
Life is way too short to not spend time fishing!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #13
JoseyWales

How is this one

http://www.mako-boats.com/boat/gallery.cfm?boat=3090

After reading this, I am rethinking MY purchase too. Prob have a 84 lbs trolling motor on the front. How bout some comments. Anyone see one of these?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
JackPurvis
Ultra Member

I change my water pump impeller every year myself. Some say every 2 years. I would rather be safe than sorry.
The batteries(I have three, 1 for starting the motor and 2 for troling) should be fully charged after every use. I have a 1/2 amp maintenance charger to keep them up. Check the water level in all batteries EVERY time you go out, I use distilled water only. Check your battery terminals and clean then as needed.
The high torque trolling motors will serve you well. You can run them on a lower setting (conserving battery power) on calm days.
Check your lower unit lubricant level frequently. I change mine every year.
A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into. Your maintenance WILL save you a lot of frustration and money in the long run.
I also check out my live well pumps before each trip. Pleasure boating is a lot of fun when everything works.
Don't forget your trailer. The wheel bearings need attention. The constant imersion in the cold water after running down the road will take its toll on the wheel bearings. Repack every year or at least get bearing buddies and keep them full of grease. Check your winch line and tie downs that secure your boat to the trailer.
Make it a great day!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
JoseyWales

After watching the stock market today and reading the post about the depression, I think I will hold off for now. Cannot justify spending the money in light of what might occur.

The future looks very bleak.

Closed Thread