1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > The Marketplace

Old 05-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
soxster
Super Ultra Member

More phone stuff

For all those in the tri-lakes area that have crappy reception, verizon has a new all you can consume prepay plan for just 40 bucks a month. Unlimited call, text and unlimited data (however data speed is limited to 5 mgbs ......which should be more than adequate for most uses including video streaming on your phone or tether to a lap top, GPS directions etc). Plus you can tether to 1 device, say a laptop as part of the plan. The new service is called Visible which is owned and operated by Verizon and if you have an I phone you can probably bring it on board as long it is not bound by a contract. You are limited to a few android phones but more is coming and if you have any old clunker android phone that will power up, you can trade in for a free R2 phone ( which is a ZTE android phone made for the Visible service......otherwise it is 99 bucks if you do not have a clunker to trade in for the freebee. Definately worth a look if you already have verizon and not locked in their contract or if you need better reception in these hills and tmobile or sprint is not cutting it and want to go to verizon on the cheaps. No multiple lines or family plans needed for these cheap rates of 40 bucks a month for all you can use. Cancel anytime, no contracts. Sounds like a bargain to me based on Verizons history of high prices.....and yes that includes taxes and etc.

https://www.visible.com

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/visible...view-6036.html

Last edited by soxster; 05-10-2019 at 09:31 PM.
soxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxster View Post
For all those in the tri-lakes area that have crappy reception, verizon has a new all you can consume prepay plan for just 40 bucks a month. Unlimited call, text and unlimited data (however data speed is limited to 5 mgbs ......which should be more than adequate for most uses including video streaming on your phone or tether to a lap top, GPS directions etc). Plus you can tether to 1 device, say a laptop as part of the plan. The new service is called Visible which is owned and operated by Verizon and if you have an I phone you can probably bring it on board as long it is not bound by a contract. You are limited to a few android phones but more is coming and if you have any old clunker android phone that will power up, you can trade in for a free R2 phone ( which is a ZTE android phone made for the Visible service......otherwise it is 99 bucks if you do not have a clunker to trade in for the freebee. Definately worth a look if you already have verizon and not locked in their contract or if you need better reception in these hills and tmobile or sprint is not cutting it and want to go to verizon on the cheaps. No multiple lines or family plans needed for these cheap rates of 40 bucks a month for all you can use. Cancel anytime, no contracts. Sounds like a bargain to me based on Verizons history of high prices.....and yes that includes taxes and etc.

https://www.visible.com

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/visible...view-6036.html
All signed up and up and running. Seems to be as advertised. Much better tower reception here in the hills than sprint and T-mo. No longer will have to watch the data meter. If you want a referal code, ( Here's your code https://visible.com/referral/vJgPM, ) you will get 20 bucks off your first 40 buck bill and you can trade in any junky android for a new one for.... free......that seems to work well.

Last edited by soxster; 05-31-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Just tried an experiment to see how well this Visible/verizon phone would work with streaming to a big screen HD TV. It worked quite well without buffering. I hot spotted my visible r2 phone to my chrome tablet (Acer), then used a HDMI cable from chrome book to Vizio 55 inch hd tv. No buffering and picture was suprisingly very clear. So an option for cord cutters that has a good verizon signal but crappy internet service, for unlimited tv streaming. I use Sling. More options I guess to get better internet out to rural areas without breaking the bank until better options available. The down side, if any, is that you probably need to leave your phone plugged in to charger since the hotspot chews through a battery a lot faster.

Last edited by soxster; 06-02-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
soxster
Super Ultra Member

So far, so good for the price point. I wonder as 5G rolls out nationwide on verizons network, whether their cheaper market strategy through Visible will get a piece of the 5G pie? Of course you would need a 5G phone and whether they would again subsidize it for current users. Since they currently throttle 4G lte speeds to 5mgs, I would not be to optimistic anytime soon. Time will tell. Not asking for much for those looking to curtail their phone/cord cutting expenses in horrible coverage areas of the country.

Last edited by soxster; 06-06-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
soxster
Super Ultra Member

I paid 20 bucks for a ultra fast top tier memory micro sd card from amazon (128GB) which helped shore up the pitiful 16GB internal memory in the R2 phone. This should be good for the life of the phone as far as needing more memory for apps, music, pics etc. This seems to work well with not a lot of lag on apps and etc since external memory is not as fast as internal memory. It can hold up to a 2 TB card. Really, for an entry level phone? If anyone jumps on this deal, be sure to grab a decent memory card because at 16 gb, you will run out of memory quickly.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
soxster
Super Ultra Member

I took a Long road trip with pandora jamming or tune-in app. for talk radio, gps maps and google internet inquiries all going at once and not have to watch the data cap brick wall. No glitches multitasking. Battery kind of took a hit as expected. Charged as needed. There were small areas of no coverage which I was surprised since we were not on an exactly a low traveled road in southern Al (hwy 98 just north of Mobile) where it first dropped coverage, heading toward OB. But I had much better coverage than sprint and t-mobile provided on earlier trips. Ha, I guess it is to much to ask Verizon for wall to wall coverage in this vast square mileage of the good old USA. Common satellite coverage. Not really sure why this got turfed to this thread area, but I am going with it.

Last edited by soxster; 06-21-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Just got an email from Visible saying at least for early adopters that the 5 meg download speed is going away and it will be full unlimited speed......otherwords full verizon speeds. Just turned off phone and rebooted and yep my speed went from 5 megs download to 20 megs download. Yikes that is sweet for no speed caps and no data caps. Not sure if this is available for new sign ups or just for early adopters. They may still be in the early adopter phase of their startup, not sure.

Just re-read the email from visible. I guess for a limited time they are offering the unlimited speed and data caps for 40 bucks a month, all in (taxes and etc.). Hot spot still limited to 5 megs download, so no change there. So if anyone is interested, not sure how long that window will be available. Maybe when 5G speeds are available, they will kick that in also (of course you would need a compatible 5G phone).

Last edited by soxster; 06-26-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:41 PM   #8
soxster
Super Ultra Member

A lot of views on here but has anybody else given this service a try?
Old 06-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

I have read all your posts but no company has cell service where I live -- I have to drive down the road 2 - 5 miles to get a signal.
biscuitcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #10
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitcreek View Post
I have read all your posts but no company has cell service where I live -- I have to drive down the road 2 - 5 miles to get a signal.
Wow and I thought branson west hills and valleys was bad.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:58 AM   #11
soxster
Super Ultra Member

I understand another tower is going up somewhere in the Branson West area near Stonebridge, anybody know where?. I emailed Branson West and got no response. Wonder what carrier it will have?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #12
soxster
Super Ultra Member

One of the complaints I have been been giving friends and family about this new R2 free phone was lack of phone covers anywhere in the market place. I want/need protection for a phone since I tend to have the "dropsies." I let Visible know in their feed back loop about this issue and loan and behold a free case and glass protector showed up by fedex this am on their own initiative. Man, I guess they do listen to feedback.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Sounds like sprint and T mobile will be allowed to combine/merge. But this might take years to get up to snuff. Maybe with their combined tower/spectrum they can compete with the verizon coverage. Maybe they will come in with a really competitive plan like offered by their pre-payed Visible. Some say it will cause less competition in the wireless arena but face it sprint was/has been just holding on. Dish is suppose to enter the arena of wireless as well as part of the merger approval. Maybe satellite communication will be common/cheap by then and this crappy coverage in the ozarks and other parts of the country will be a moot point.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #14
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Verizons introducing 4 new plans but still looks quite expensive compared to the same thing that the prepaid visible/verizon at 40 bucks a month . Makes no sense to me. You do not need multilines to save and not sure if you need a contract with those rates in the below chart.

https://www.droid-life.com/wp-conten...-Unlimited.jpg

Last edited by soxster; 08-02-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #15
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Looks like a few more android phones being added to compatability for bringing your own phone or buying. The moto 7 g looks like a good alternative. I think they are still offering some bank card rebates (visa, I think) depending on what you buy, which might take some sting out, if you have to purchase. I have a relative that actually got a $100 card rebate from switching from a prepaid verizon plan through walmart, they bought a moto 7. Switching from one pre plan verizon plan to a better pre paid verizon plan without the limitations of wallys verizon plans (speed, data limits etc).

Last edited by soxster; 08-14-2019 at 06:17 PM.