1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Old 11-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

What The What??

What the heck is with parents these days? I'm at work, and we keep getting calls - at least 5 so far - from one room. When we answer, it's a young child. My co-worker and I have each asked to speak to a parent. The child then hung up. My co-worker just called and spoke to the parent and explained that the child is doing this and tying up our phone lines. The dad's response? He's going to just unplug the phone so the little girl can keep playing with the phone but not bother anyone by making calls. Seriously? You can't just explain to the girl that she can't be on the phone? Maybe put up some consequences if she does? Nope. He's just gonna let her keep doing what she's doing. Some people!
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Lightbulb Twigs and trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransoncutie View Post
What the heck is with parents these days? I'm at work, and we keep getting calls - at least 5 so far - from one room. When we answer, it's a young child. My co-worker and I have each asked to speak to a parent. The child then hung up. My co-worker just called and spoke to the parent and explained that the child is doing this and tying up our phone lines. The dad's response? He's going to just unplug the phone so the little girl can keep playing with the phone but not bother anyone by making calls. Seriously? You can't just explain to the girl that she can't be on the phone? Maybe put up some consequences if she does? Nope. He's just gonna let her keep doing what she's doing. Some people!
In 1946 a book was written by pediatrician Benjamin Spock entitled "Common Sense Child Care". It enumerated five basic premises held by the doctor;
1)"Trust yourself,” he told new parents. “You know more than you think you do.”
2)"Routines are nice, but babies don’t need strict a regimen." Critics warned that Spock was too “permissive,” and that coddling babies and children could eventually make them self-indulgent and rebellious. (Nah, never gonna happen)
3) "Don’t fret if your baby acts funny; Freud can explain it". Sigmund Freud — the eminent early psychologist, who posited that human behavior is largely the product of unconscious sexual drives, determined in no small part by childhood experience. (I wonder if this could be considered the genesis of cross-dresser story hour at the library?)
4) "Ideas about good parenting should evolve." Spock embraced a more gender-neutral tone, expunging sexual stereotypes from the book. By the 1990s, he was taking on the fight against childhood obesity, and wanted to include information for gay and lesbian parents. (Hooray for non-binary gender acceptance.)
5) "Babies need love" Of the five, this one seems like a quote from Captain Obvious.

The other side of that coin is that children need structure. They look to the adults around them to provide that.

The structure is what seems to be missing in the example you cited. The job of a parent is to be a parent... not a buddy.

As the twig is bent, so grows the tree
(Author Unknown)

There are three mistakes that parents sometimes make when raising children: they love them without disciplining them; they discipline them without loving them or they neither love nor discipline them.

What happens to children who do not receive proper love and discipline? If we love our kids but fail to discipline them, they will grow up lacking self control and shame us.

If we discipline our children without loving them, they will often become bitter and resent us.

If we neither love nor discipline; young people will fill their lives with self-destructive tendencies. When parents neglect the proper instruction of their children, they seldom become a blessings. This carelessness of the parents leads to rebellion in their children.

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Laughter is the best medicine... unless you have diarrhea!

Last edited by tortminder; 11-30-2019 at 05:09 PM.
tortminder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortminder View Post
In 1946 a book was written by pediatrician Benjamin Spock entitled "Common Sense Child Care". It enumerated five basic premises held by the doctor;
1)"Trust yourself,” he told new parents. “You know more than you think you do.”
2)"Routines are nice, but babies don’t need strict a regimen." Critics warned that Spock was too “permissive,” and that coddling babies and children could eventually make them self-indulgent and rebellious. (Nah, never gonna happen)
3) "Don’t fret if your baby acts funny; Freud can explain it". Sigmund Freud — the eminent early psychologist, who posited that human behavior is largely the product of unconscious sexual drives, determined in no small part by childhood experience. (I wonder if this could be considered the genesis of cross-dresser story hour at the library?)
4) "Ideas about good parenting should evolve." Spock embraced a more gender-neutral tone, expunging sexual stereotypes from the book. By the 1990s, he was taking on the fight against childhood obesity, and wanted to include information for gay and lesbian parents. (Hooray for non-binary gender acceptance.)
5) "Babies need love" Of the five, this one seems like a quote from Captain Obvious.

The other side of that coin is that children need structure. They look to the adults around them to provide that.

The structure is what seems to be missing in the example you cited. The job of a parent is to be a parent... not a buddy.

As the twig is bent, so grows the tree
(Author Unknown)

There are three mistakes that parents sometimes make when raising children: they love them without disciplining them; they discipline them without loving them or they neither love nor discipline them.

What happens to children who do not receive proper love and discipline? If we love our kids but fail to discipline them, they will grow up lacking self control and shame us.

If we discipline our children without loving them, they will often become bitter and resent us.

If we neither love nor discipline; young people will fill their lives with self-destructive tendencies. When parents neglect the proper instruction of their children, they seldom become a blessings. This carelessness of the parents leads to rebellion in their children.
Could not be better said.
soxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

Awesome, Tortminder!
leftsaidted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Great stuff Tortminder!!
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote