1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Old 11-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #16
acampingfan

Gee with all this talk about Branson's economy, my tentative next summer trip(month long ) may have to be reconsidered. I don't post a lot here but try to keep up with what's happening but we did do 20 some odd shows in 30 days a few years back...LOVED every minute of it. I hope the doom and gloom I'm perceiving from this topic is misplaced.

Now as to Moon River....last time in town we went to see the Righteous Brothers(I think, or was it Righteous Brother?)...anyways, whoever it was, the theater was practically empty. It's shameful because it is such a beautiful property.
acampingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:57 PM   #17
mikee

Smile Moon River

I think the best use for the building is a church for young people that can handle the hiils in the parking lot and all the steps in the theater. Maybe a combined effort by Paula White, Benny Hinn and Jim Bakker and a couple of other big names in the church business. Lots of meetings every week and concerts by Christian music artists. Jimmy can sell it for a loss and take a tax write off. James River Church in Ozark might even be a possibility. I think they already have at least 2 or 3 locations in addition the the main location on Hwy 65. I am out of ideas now. Have to go to bed and see what else I can dream up.
mikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #18
Daytimer
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransoncutie View Post
I have to admit, I'm more than a little saddened by this news. But also, I'm not at all surprised. In fact, I had anticipated it happening sooner, given Jimmy Osmond suffered a pretty serious stroke back in late December and is recuperating and working on his full recovery back home in Utah.

Also, because it IS Jimmy Osmond, and because I know he has so much respect for Andy Williams and his legacy, I suspect that he will be quite picky about any prospective buyer and their intentions for the facility.
It makes me sad too. I grew up going to Branson and seeing Andy Williams with my parents, then now grown and still going back to see shows there. Lot of good memories.
Daytimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #19
bmschoen

Rick Thomas....paging Rick Thomas....
bmschoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #20
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

As much as we all have had so much fun there, and have seen so many great shows, including Andy Williams in person, and thus many fond memories....the theatre itself is NOT a good design! Plus, it is MUCH too large for the crowds that are now, and in the foreseeable future, coming to Branson to watch live performances.

Which then begs the questions:
1. Can the theatre be completely remodeled:
a. to make it EASY for older and/or handicapped people to access?
b. to DECREASE it's seating capacity while still using the "emptied"
space for some other, albeit separate/partitioned area, to generate
needed cash flow?

Lacking these two changes, maybe the best thing would for it to be razed, and something ELSE put in its place...what that would/could be, I guess is pretty much open for some aspiring entrepreneur with VERY DEEP pockets...
leftsaidted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #21
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Lacking these two changes, maybe the best thing would for it to be razed, and something ELSE put in its place...what that would/could be, I guess is pretty much open for some aspiring entrepreneur with VERY DEEP pockets...
But why when there are already several vacant lots in Branson?
Old 11-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #22
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
But why when there are already several vacant lots in Branson?
Location, Location, Location.....
Old 11-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #23
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunerider View Post
Location, Location, Location.....
Right down the strip...America's (not so) Fun Park.
Big vacant lot next to the Americana. Vacant lot next to Ruby Tuesday. Not to mention the ill fated Dream Theater and Steampunk Bar & Grill.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #24
Branson Friend

The theater has been for sale for many years, only now it is public in an attempt to expedite a sale. There are many theaters and parcels of land available at a far lower price in better locations, so unless someone is absolutely delusional or has romanticized the thought of owning a theater with the Andy Williams name attached, no one will ever come close to paying that kind of money. No one with any sense would be looking to purchase a theater in Branson as an investment.

When was the last time someone built/purchased a theater in Branson and was successful? Probably Sight and Sound, and that’s a completely different type of production. Name the last music show to come to town and build/purchase a theater that has been successful? And by successful I mean financially successful. Well, that might be an unfair question to ask because if people post certain shows it would be unfair to point out shows with decent sized crowds that are bleeding money. So maybe it’s more of a rhetorical question to illustrate the Branson theater market is dead, and if anyone does want to enter the market they will certainly do it at a greatly reduced price than what is currently offered.

Something to note, Andy Williams Theater has incredibly insufficient parking. It’s a 2057 seat theater with 550 (maybe) parking spots. At an average of two persons per car, on a sellout crowd that means about 900 people/450 cars don’t have anywhere to park. Trust me, I learned that the hard way when I was misled (putting it kindly) about the parking situation there. Our customers were parking at other venues where we reached an agreement to allow parking, and we paid for shuttle buses to take them to the theater. A big extra expense and a big headache. We were told this and many other issues such as handicap access would be improved and they never were. So we took our business elsewhere.
Branson Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #25
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quite honest in your assessment of the problems with that theater Branson Friend.
Probably the only reason it lasted for so many years was Andy himself.