Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Old 09-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #31
CastStephen

Exactly. Well said, MLM!
CastStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #32
MLM

Unless they’re just trying to be obnoxious by deliberately using the word in a derogatory manner.
MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #33
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Talking tracks...laugh and otherwise

I can understand performers being sensitive to folks looking down on shows that use tracks but using that logic would it make sense for the comedy folks to "sweeten" their performances with the use of those obnoxious laugh tracks used on TV sitcoms? After all, the performers are working just as hard on stage even if their audience reaction is electronically augmented.

There was a member here who is a performer, (producer?). who was putting forth the idea that audiences should be made aware of what shows are live bands vs tracks. That may or may not sit well with the performers but it would seem more honest in dealing with the folks who buy the tickets, (you know, the brokers and time-share folks).

Just my two-cents and worth what you paid for it.

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Laughter is the best medicine... unless you have diarrhea!

tortminder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #34
MLM

Okay... we know each other tortminder— we had breakfast together one time. I have no vested interest in tracks vs live... my show has a great band—- we won 2019 show of the year the other day. But... I don’t think your analogy makes sense here. A laugh track is an audience reaction. The equivalent for shows is audience applause, not tracked elements. It’s apples and oranges. And if you want full disclosure in advertising, good luck... full disclosure is every show letting consumers know when there show is not in am actual theater, when they track vocals, when they track instrumental solos, when they give away tickets to look good... sorry but none of that will happen... fixating on “instrumental tracks” is the tip of the iceberg if you really wanna be honest. The bottom line is audience experience... if they feel they got what they paid for, whatever that may be, it’s all good.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #35
Branson Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM View Post
Okay... we know each other tortminder— we had breakfast together one time. I have no vested interest in tracks vs live... my show has a great band—- we won 2019 show of the year the other day. But... I don’t think your analogy makes sense here. A laugh track is an audience reaction. The equivalent for shows is audience applause, not tracked elements. It’s apples and oranges. And if you want full disclosure in advertising, good luck... full disclosure is every show letting consumers know when there show is not in am actual theater, when they track vocals, when they track instrumental solos, when they give away tickets to look good... sorry but none of that will happen... fixating on “instrumental tracks” is the tip of the iceberg if you really wanna be honest. The bottom line is audience experience... if they feel they got what they paid for, whatever that may be, it’s all good.
Is it safe to say that you will also not disclose the ridiculousness of the awards show you reference? Or any of the other awards shows in Branson? That is a much bigger problem than track shows. It’s such an embarrassment when we bring guests to town and they see every show claiming to be the best something or other. My company won the 2019 “We Are Better Than Anyone At Anything In Any City Since The Beginning Of Time Award.” The prestigious organization which gave us that honor is not important, what’s important is that we find a way to fit all of that on our literature.

Seriously, I have not seen your show and it may be fantastic and your band may be excellent. But anyone who references a Branson award as proof of their quality has lost my business. Tell people how they can see video clips of your show, or let them know about the people in the band who make it so fantastic, but please, anyone with any sense of decency, do not participate in these stupid Branson awards.
Branson Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #36
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Okay... The bottom line is audience experience... if they feel they got what they paid for, whatever that may be, it’s all good.
YES! That really is the bottom line. Whether you are entertaining people or feeding people, if they go away happy with a desire to return, you have won the game, and it really does not matter how you did it.

Of course there's the small matter of getting them in the door so you can dazzle them with whatever you are serving, but that's another thread..

Good Better Best, Never let it Rest Until Your Good Is Better and Your Better is BEST..

Last edited by DalmatianDad; 09-24-2019 at 09:01 PM.
DalmatianDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:08 AM   #37
MLM

Helloooo Branson Friend.... l mention awards only because they matter to some people... we do what we do because we love it, not for awards. I’d love to know who gave you the award you mentioned. I’ll say again... if people leave your show thrilled, you’ve done your job, however you got it done. Everyone can have their opinion of how that’s done. As for getting people in the door... that’s about doing good business—- hitting the demographic, having plenty of capital and spending it wisely.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #38
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastStephen View Post
Just thought I would jump in here ..

Preferring to hear a live band is absolutely fine. Honestly, I prefer it as well. However, the terms "karaoke" or "glorified karaoke" being used to describe track shows are honestly just insulting.

Karaoke means you stand on a stage with a microphone in your hand and read the words off of a screen.

I am a part of two "track shows" that are full production shows. Custom musical arrangements, intense choreography, numerous costume changes, custom videos, dialogue, lighting, etc. Our cast rarely even leaves the stage.

We go out there, give it our all every single show. Yet, sometimes we get reviews that say basically: "no band = karaoke." That mindset is just baffling to me. Maybe we should turn off the lighting, cut all the choreography, dialogue, videos, put on some T-shirts and jeans and just stand center stage and sing to a bunch of cheap karaoke track. Sometimes I seriously wonder if anyone could tell the difference ...

Anyway, preferring a band is fine ...but next time you throw around words like "karaoke" or "glorified karaoke" just take a second to think about all the hard-working entertainers who perform in full-blown production shows that just happen to use tracks. - some of which are THE hardest working people in this town.
Quote:
Actually th main distinction between karaoke and tracked shows is that one is AMATEUR and the other is PROFESSIONAL. People pay to see the shows. Karaoke performers actually pay for the right to stand up and sing by buying drinks, etc. Anyone using the term “karaoke” for shows doesn’t really understand the meaning of the word.
I could not agree with you all more!! You are spot on!
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #39
Branson Friend

Quote:
... I’d love to know who gave you the award you mentioned...
It is a made up award, just like the ones they give out in Branson. Did you really think we touted having such an award? Geez, in Branson I guess you can’t even joke about those things.

In reality the numerous Branson awards shows are self congratulatory gatherings where people get “participation” trophies. That’s pretty much what they are, the same thing they hand out to little kids who just show up for T-ball games. Doesn’t matter how good they truly are. It really is an embarrassment for the town, and I wish more folks would choose not to participate. Someone tried to include one of our national artists on a nomination ballot years ago to make it seem like they were a legitimate organization and we made them delete that immediately.

Again MLM, not familiar with your show and it may indeed be excellent. Almost everyone with whom I have spoken says the only reason they participate in the awards shows is because they don’t want to be one of the only people in town who don’t have an award attached to their name. Do a great show and make people happy, that’s the best award you could ever receive.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #40
MLM

Apparently you didn’t see my latest post where I mentioned that we don’t do what we do for awards, we do it because we love what we do—-make audiences happy by doing our job right. And my comment to your “award” was given with the exact level of humor in which you touted your “award.” Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #41
Branson Friend

Quote:
Apparently you didn’t see my latest post where I mentioned that we don’t do what we do for awards, we do it because we love what we do—-make audiences happy by doing our job right. And my comment to your “award” was given with the exact level of humor in which you touted your “award.” Nothing more, nothing less.
Then I probably should mention we also won the “2019 Triangle Player of The Year” award. And our triangle player performs live, no backing track.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #42
MLM

No show ever needs a triangle.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #43
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

As far as the Branson Music Awards ceremonies, I do not see any difference between them and the various Hollywood Movie Industry and various music awards ceremonies...all are composed of people within the industry, patting themselves and each other on the back, and then giving out awards to those they nominate and choose. I simply see it as good sport for the industry, be that Hollywood Movie, Nashville or LA music, or Branson!

As far as tracked/recorded music...I decided, while I was working in my shop, that I wanted to listen to a variety of people last night and this morning, some of who were Lefty Frizzell, the Beatles, Hank Williams Sr, Hank Thompson, the Ramones, early Beach Boys, Wayne Hancock, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins and Jerry Reed...Lo and behold, I had to use TRACKED music to hear them! Since they are all dead and/or the bands are only composed of one or two living members....

I am SO THANKFUL for TRACKED MUSIC! Also listen to that stuff continuously on my truck's stereo..yea, TRACKED music, either via cd, USB drive, or radio stations. I guess the purist who only like LIVE music do not listen to any of these formats...oh well, to each their own! I fully enjoy QUALITY Live AND Tracked music, personally.
leftsaidted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #44
live4branson

[
Brandson Friend says,
"In reality the numerous Branson awards shows are self congratulatory gatherings where people get “participation” trophies. That’s pretty much what they are, the same thing they hand out to little kids who just show up for T-ball games. Doesn’t matter how good they truly are. It really is an embarrassment for the town, and I wish more folks would choose not to participate. Someone tried to include one of our national artists on a nomination ballot years ago to make it seem like they were a legitimate organization and we made them delete that immediately."

So, I suppose the national acts you bring in has never won a Grammy, a Dove award, or ACM, or CMA award. I mean, after all, they're just made up awards to make sure people get a participation trophy. Maybe climb off your high horse and mingle with some of the "little people/ performers" in town who are just trying to make a living and have a little fun and be recognized a little bit. Hypocrisy doesn't look good on anybody.
live4branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #45
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I am SO THANKFUL for TRACKED MUSIC! Also listen to that stuff continuously on my truck's stereo..yea, TRACKED music, either via cd, USB drive, or radio stations. I guess the purist who only like LIVE music do not listen to any of these formats...oh well,
Bet you don't pay $30+ every time you listen to those tracks!
Yes, there are some talented people in shows with canned music instead of a live band. But why? Are they so tight on budget that they have to present half of a performance? A live band is a major part of a live show. Just seems some promoters are just pinching pennies by not paying musicians, and providing paying customers with less than they pay for.