1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Old 09-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #46
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM View Post
Apparently you didn’t see my latest post where I mentioned that we don’t do what we do for awards, we do it because we love what we do—-make audiences happy by doing our job right. And my comment to your “award” was given with the exact level of humor in which you touted your “award.” Nothing more, nothing less.
And if I am correct in my thinking, and you are who I believe you are, your show is always one of the best in town!! And your audiences do love your shows!!!
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #47
MLM

I do think shows are not priced properly. There are shows actually underpriced from a national standpoint as well as overpriced ones... you should be able to charge more for bigger production values, but given that every show looks the same in brochure racks, you have to be careful.
And yes... for many shows a live band all comes down to budget. As I said earlier, if you want to really do things right, you need plenty of capital (just like any business.)
MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #48
Branson Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4branson View Post
[
Brandson Friend says,
"In reality the numerous Branson awards shows are self congratulatory gatherings where people get “participation” trophies. That’s pretty much what they are, the same thing they hand out to little kids who just show up for T-ball games. Doesn’t matter how good they truly are. It really is an embarrassment for the town, and I wish more folks would choose not to participate. Someone tried to include one of our national artists on a nomination ballot years ago to make it seem like they were a legitimate organization and we made them delete that immediately."

So, I suppose the national acts you bring in has never won a Grammy, a Dove award, or ACM, or CMA award. I mean, after all, they're just made up awards to make sure people get a participation trophy. Maybe climb off your high horse and mingle with some of the "little people/ performers" in town who are just trying to make a living and have a little fun and be recognized a little bit. Hypocrisy doesn't look good on anybody.
Hypocrisy - “the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.” Please try to learn the definition of words before you use them. You either do not own a dictionary or you do not pay close attention to our advertising and promotion. Unless it is a contractual requirement by the artist (very rare), we do not mention Grammys, Emmys, etc. If you are saying I should refuse to book any artist who has won any such award, that is just moronic. That would be like me saying anybody who has won a Branson award is a terrible performer. Certainly not the case. I just believe the good performers in town do not need to use the crutch of a fake award. But even so, those national awards organizations are made up of numerous industry professionals who have achieved great things, usually, in their careers. And even still I never watch any of the shows nor think they mean anything. The Emmy awards a few nights ago received the lowest TV ratings in their history, which means more and more folks are agreeing with me.

I support more shows in this town that just about anybody because I do something unique - I purchase my tickets. I have never once asked for a comp to any show, yet after 13 years in this town I still have to field phone calls from people who believe that because they are in a “show” in town they are entitled to a free ticket to see a major artist. I support the many fine Branson shows by paying to see them, and the ones I am not interested in seeing I do not attend. It’s that simple. It’s a shame you didn’t do any research before criticizing my business.

There are a few shows each year in town which are simply “package” shows to highlight the many different performers in town with no awards attached to them. I think that is great, and it proves you don’t need meaningless trophies to highlight good entertainment.
Branson Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #49
MLM

Thanks Bransoncutie!
MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #50
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM View Post
Okay... we know each other tortminder— we had breakfast together one time. I have no vested interest in tracks vs live... my show has a great band—- we won 2019 show of the year the other day. But... I don’t think your analogy makes sense here. A laugh track is an audience reaction. The equivalent for shows is audience applause, not tracked elements. It’s apples and oranges. And if you want full disclosure in advertising, good luck... full disclosure is every show letting consumers know when there show is not in am actual theater, when they track vocals, when they track instrumental solos, when they give away tickets to look good... sorry but none of that will happen... fixating on “instrumental tracks” is the tip of the iceberg if you really wanna be honest. The bottom line is audience experience... if they feel they got what they paid for, whatever that may be, it’s all good.
I agree with probably 95% of what you have said. I have seen your show and you put out a quality product that appeals to the nostalgia this old fart has for his younger days. Unfortunately, there are some, (some would say many), "shows" that do not come up to the standard your show has, (there are other shows that I believe are equal to the quality of your show and they provide the excellent audience experience that yours does.) There is also a venue in town that puts out great products at an unbelievably low price. I sometimes wonder how they manage to stay afloat.

"Live" vs "canned" can be a personal preference. Some can tell the difference, some can't. I tend to prefer "live" but that's me, (although since my early exposure standing next to a Kustom amp tended to wreak havoc on my hearing I find myself relying on hearing aids and finding more and more difficult to discern the difference)

I moved here drawn by the culture of the Ozarks and the "vibe" of Branson. I remain enamored with the culture but am a bit concerned that the "vibe" is changing in ways that I find discomfiting.

There again, I am a self-confessed curmudgeon, ("Get off my lawn"), and I realize that the entertainment must evolve because us "Boomers" are dying off.

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Laughter is the best medicine... unless you have diarrhea!

tortminder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #51
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Unhappy Branson losing a long-time promoter

After 13 seasons hosting “big name” shows in Branson, Up Close Concerts Owner and Promoter Bob Cannella has announced 2020 will be his final year booking in the “Live Show Capital of the Universe.”

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_...adcd10ab8.html

Cannella laid out several reasons for pulling out of the area.

“The people of Branson have been extraordinarily supportive of our events, yet unfortunately, the people who make the decisions about the way Branson is marketed and managed have put the town in a position from which it will be difficult to recover,” he said. “It would be foolish for us to continue to invest in the city when the tax dollars we generate are regularly misspent and frequently wasted."

Sad

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Laughter is the best medicine... unless you have diarrhea!

tortminder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #52
WireRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortminder View Post
After 13 seasons hosting “big name” shows in Branson, Up Close Concerts Owner and Promoter Bob Cannella has announced 2020 will be his final year booking in the “Live Show Capital of the Universe.”

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_...adcd10ab8.html

Cannella laid out several reasons for pulling out of the area.

“The people of Branson have been extraordinarily supportive of our events, yet unfortunately, the people who make the decisions about the way Branson is marketed and managed have put the town in a position from which it will be difficult to recover,” he said. “It would be foolish for us to continue to invest in the city when the tax dollars we generate are regularly misspent and frequently wasted."

Sad
Well, that's not great news. Where does that leave Branson as far as regular "name" entertainers? Jim Stafford?
WireRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #53
OkieAnon

the fall lineup at the Mansion theater is decent but not jaw dropping, if you like country acts, people like the Oak Ridge Boys, Neal McCoy, Gatlin Brothers, Ronnie Milsap.
OkieAnon is offline   Reply With Quote