1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Sons of Britches - What Took Me So Long?

Okay...okay. I've sold many tickets to Sons of Britches while I worked for a ticket seller. I've had myriad people tell me how fun the show was. I am good friends with one of the guys in the show, and have been for most of the nearly 19 years I have been in this town. I know how talented one of the other guys in the show is. So why on earth did it take me this long to check this show out for myself? I haven't a clue! But I can see that I have seriously been missing out on a fun show! Big mistake on my part.

First of all, the talent the three men in this cast bring to the table is quite impressive. First off there is Louis Darby, who can play that fiddle like no one's business, and is a very capable vocalist. Then you have his friend and business partner, Earl Vaughan does the lion's share of lead vocals and picks a mean guitar. And then there's long-time Branson staple, Randy Plummer, whose family had the 3rd show in town, The Plummer Family. Randy throws in some more great vocals and slaps a mean upright bass! (He even broke a string last night, which is very rare for an upright bass player!)

Then there's the format. Without a doubt the most unique show format in town. Of course, for some continuity, they open with several songs of their own choosing, showing the audience just what they are capable of. But from then on, the show's content is up to those folk sitting in the audience as it is strictly audience requests. The set list last night was quite eclectic, from "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo" to "One Piece at a Time", to "Paper Roses", which was a substitute for the requested song, "Crazy Horses", which was an Osmond song they didn't know. So they subbed with Marie Osmond's big hit of "Paper Roses". And of course, what show in Branson that features a fiddle player is going to be complete without the requisite "Orange Blossom Special"? I tell you what, there was not a sour note nor a bad song choice to be found. Every song was done with ease, as if they'd been doing them all every night for years. Yes, I'm sure they get a lot of repeat requests. But I'm equally sure they get a lot of odd requests from folk wanting to "stump the band". All in all, it makes for an absolutely delightful show which is obviously never going to be exactly the same show twice! Which explains why there were folk there last night who have been to the show more times than most anyone could count! I believe there were some, as I recall, who were there for over 100 times!!!

Yup...took me far too long to get there for the first time. But it won't take nearly as long for me to get back there for the 2nd...and 3rd...and who knows!!
Old 08-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
KJN
Super Ultra Member

Bransoncutie, what a great review! We saw them for the first time this summer and had a blast! Amazing talent and such a different format. This will definitely be a repeat show for us on our trips to Branson!
Old 08-28-2019, 12:32 AM   #3
TimHaygood

Britches!

I love those guys! Louis Darby has been my idol since I was a kid. A true fiddle master!!
Old 08-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

I’ve seen this show several times, and I’m always ready to go back again! Those three guys have an amazing amount of talent!
Old 08-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

I saw them right after they began the show. When they were taking a lot of criticism from some people because of the catchy, funny name.
Great entertainment, and different every show.
Plus that small theater is the perfect venue for such an up clear se, and personal show.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
Daytimer
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransoncutie View Post
Okay...okay. I've sold many tickets to Sons of Britches while I worked for a ticket seller. I've had myriad people tell me how fun the show was. I am good friends with one of the guys in the show, and have been for most of the nearly 19 years I have been in this town. I know how talented one of the other guys in the show is. So why on earth did it take me this long to check this show out for myself? I haven't a clue! But I can see that I have seriously been missing out on a fun show! Big mistake on my part.

First of all, the talent the three men in this cast bring to the table is quite impressive. First off there is Louis Darby, who can play that fiddle like no one's business, and is a very capable vocalist. Then you have his friend and business partner, Earl Vaughan does the lion's share of lead vocals and picks a mean guitar. And then there's long-time Branson staple, Randy Plummer, whose family had the 3rd show in town, The Plummer Family. Randy throws in some more great vocals and slaps a mean upright bass! (He even broke a string last night, which is very rare for an upright bass player!)

Then there's the format. Without a doubt the most unique show format in town. Of course, for some continuity, they open with several songs of their own choosing, showing the audience just what they are capable of. But from then on, the show's content is up to those folk sitting in the audience as it is strictly audience requests. The set list last night was quite eclectic, from "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo" to "One Piece at a Time", to "Paper Roses", which was a substitute for the requested song, "Crazy Horses", which was an Osmond song they didn't know. So they subbed with Marie Osmond's big hit of "Paper Roses". And of course, what show in Branson that features a fiddle player is going to be complete without the requisite "Orange Blossom Special"? I tell you what, there was not a sour note nor a bad song choice to be found. Every song was done with ease, as if they'd been doing them all every night for years. Yes, I'm sure they get a lot of repeat requests. But I'm equally sure they get a lot of odd requests from folk wanting to "stump the band". All in all, it makes for an absolutely delightful show which is obviously never going to be exactly the same show twice! Which explains why there were folk there last night who have been to the show more times than most anyone could count! I believe there were some, as I recall, who were there for over 100 times!!!

Yup...took me far too long to get there for the first time. But it won't take nearly as long for me to get back there for the 2nd...and 3rd...and who knows!!
My brother just got back from Branson and saw this show for the first time. He said the same things you are, how good it was, a lot of fun. We both have been coming to Branson for a long time, and he likes to try a show he hasn't seen. He loved it. Guess I will need to try to see it soon!
Old 08-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #7
jhnwia

I've seen it 3 times, all were outstanding, and since it's all requests each show is different. A must see when in Branson.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

I told y’all.😃
Old 09-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

I really need to go to their show again. But their schedule doesn't work well for me.

Closed Thread