1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Chittlins

Disney Trip

Just got back in time for the storm from a week trip to Disneyworld.

We had a split stay at Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom. Weather was great but a bit cool in the mornings and evenings and we had an afternoon and early evening of light rain but that didn't slow us down.

Here's some thoughts:

The new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train coaster is nice but lacking. The theming is spectacular, the animatronics off the hook, the coaster was smooth and somewhat thrilling but much too short when compared to Big Thunder, Space and Everest. I got a serious issue with the restraints, no need for them to be that tight around a good sized persons legs, absolutely none. I guess this is to accommodate even smaller riders but that was ridiculously tight and considering you get more airtime in Tower of Terror with just a belt, bewildering tight.

Supposedly Big Thunder will get the visuals that was recently added to Disneyland's version.

Expedition Everest is still smooth as silk. My daughter hit the single rider line over and over. I gotta say Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, I love the mix of animals and while sparse, amazingly detailed theming. Well, except for the Dinoland, and I even like that for what it is. It needs more rides and they are adding a night time extravaganza that will extend the hours along with Avatar but I'm not a big fan of movie so I hope the rides speak for themselves. The Gorillas had small ones and they were putting on a show.

Disney Studios, it's a mess. They are cutting up the Big Hat, Backlot is closed, ToyStory is still a crowded mess. Cinderella's Carriage was on display. Tower of Terror was good as usual and Rock and Roller coaster was decent. Now on the ebays, this place is getting another name soon along with a Pixar land with themed rides and supposedly will be home to the Star Wars land. So, we'll see. I've have thought for some time, anything Indy should head to Animal Kingdom whether it's a newer stunt show or a new ride based off the original or a reboot. It just seems like it would "fit" seamlessly there. Still liked the stunt show.

My daughter did swim in the shark pool at Typhoon Lagoon with me and that was a highlight.

This was an all Disney affair with a only a couple of escapes out of the parks, spent an afternoon around Cocoa Beach and ate at Dixie Crossroads at Titusville and we went to Fun Spot near Universal to ride their woodie. We did so while Universal was doing it's firework's show so that was nice. I'll say this again, SDC could use a solid little coaster like that woodie that's just plain fun without gimmicks.

Last edited by Chittlins; 02-16-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

I think you mixed up the names of a couple of attractions... easy to do with so many attractions in Orlando.

The Haunted Mansion is at the Magic Kingdom... since you were talking about Disney Studios I think you were talking about Tower of Terror.

Rip Ride Rockit is an attraction at Universal Studios Orlando... I think in this case you meant the Rock and Roller Coaster.

The Studios park is a mess right now but hopefully it will all be worth it. Rumors are that the space being made available from all the closed attractions will be developed into a first class "Star Wars Land". Also (and this has been officially announced), they will be adding another track to Toy Story in space next to the existing building so that the capacity will be doubled... a very welcome addition.

Thanks for your report.

Good Times in Branson
Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
Chittlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I think you mixed up the names of a couple of attractions... easy to do with so many attractions in Orlando.

The Haunted Mansion is at the Magic Kingdom... since you were talking about Disney Studios I think you were talking about Tower of Terror.

Rip Ride Rockit is an attraction at Universal Studios Orlando... I think in this case you meant the Rock and Roller Coaster.

The Studios park is a mess right now but hopefully it will all be worth it. Rumors are that the space being made available from all the closed attractions will be developed into a first class "Star Wars Land". Also (and this has been officially announced), they will be adding another track to Toy Story in space next to the existing building so that the capacity will be doubled... a very welcome addition.

Thanks for your report.

Should have called it the Aerosmith ride. I wonder when that gets a makeover.

Not just Star Wars but more Pixar stuff from what i've read

While there, they announced the are closing the race track and Richard Petty will have to find some place else. Makes sense since they haven't had races there in a long time and supposedly no one test there anymore.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

I love the Arrowsmith Ride, especially the entertaining Que.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

Thanks for the report. We will be at WDW for 6 days in June+2 days at Universal. Was hoping to do Beach Club this year but they've pretty much priced us out of it. Got a good deal on Wilderness Lodge, which has been our favorite anyway so that's good. Was just wanting to be in walking distance to World Showcase this time, but an evening boat ride to the Magic Kingdom is something I'll never look down my nose at!

Glad to hear from another Animal Kingdom fan!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
Chittlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalva2 View Post
Thanks for the report. We will be at WDW for 6 days in June+2 days at Universal. Was hoping to do Beach Club this year but they've pretty much priced us out of it. Got a good deal on Wilderness Lodge, which has been our favorite anyway so that's good. Was just wanting to be in walking distance to World Showcase this time, but an evening boat ride to the Magic Kingdom is something I'll never look down my nose at!

The pool just got refurbed. They added a kids play structure instead of a kiddie pool. Really loved the newer tables that fold down to a twin in the studio we had. First thing the wife moaned about was the lack of this feature at the AK studio felt like she downgraded in rooms. The AK studio had a double sink and the mini fridge had a little freezer section that the Wilderness Lodge ones lacked. I still laugh at the Disney Vacation Club channel. Pitching them 24/7.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #7
Chittlins

Quote:

wife just calls Epcot the eating place. I'm a gardening buff and I hated not being there for garden thingy, It depressed me more seeing them working on the grounds getting it ready for it.

We only ate at three Disney full serves this trip, Ohana, Whispering Springs, and Tusker House for a breakfast. I get bent paying adult prices for a 10 and 11 year old and the 11 year old is very picky. The 10 year will eat anything but not 30 bucks worth.

We are going to wait til 2017 to go back to Orlando for Universal and Sea World. My girl loved the Shark Reef at Typhoon so much, we are convinced she would love Discovery Cove. She's up for it big time. My kids love water parks too. My son just as soon have goon to Typhoon Lagoon every day done there. For some reason, the wife wants go with my Sis in Law, which is fine with me cause her husband and I get along splendidly. Figure we'll rent a four or five bedroom condo/house with a screened pool and search the NotJBL sources. Reason for that is Spring 17 is when most are saying the Uni Waterpark opens and Avatar at AK should be done and maybe the Pixar additions at Studio. Themed up carnie rides shouldn't take the Disney 2 to 3 years should it? I really want to give Cabana Bay a try if the condo thing doesn't work out. Something about having an on site bowling ally that appeals to me.

In the meantime, I plan of flying the kids out to Disneyland for a three to four day trip sans the wife, it's cool, we've talked about it. I usually do that once a year to make up for kidless duck hunting trips

The other things in the next two to three years is a Disney Cruise, Grand Canyon(thinking a couple of days in Sedona just chilling and golf and then the three day package on the Grand Canyon Railroad with a middle night stay at the south rim. We are trying to get this done together with my Brother's family. I had mentioned Vegas and Hoover and she wants nothing to do with it Not even Hoover. And she is stuck on DC, I will get to Busch Gardens for a day if I'm that close.

The problem with the Disney cruise is that they cut Galveston way back, for what they want to sail out of there, we can fly back to FLA and leave from Canaveral for the same money or less and lose the 11 hr. drive each way.

Last edited by Chittlins; 02-21-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chittlins View Post
wife just calls Epcot the eating place. I'm a gardening buff and I hated not being there for garden thingy, It depressed me more seeing them working on the grounds getting it ready for it.

We only ate at three Disney full serves this trip, Ohana, Whispering Springs, and Tusker House for a breakfast. I get bent paying adult prices for a 10 and 11 year old and the 11 year old is very picky. The 10 year will eat anything but not 30 bucks worth.

We are going to wait til 2017 to go back to Orlando for Universal and Sea World. My girl loved the Shark Reef at Typhoon so much, we are convinced she would love Discovery Cove. She's up for it big time. My kids love water parks too. My son just as soon have goon to Typhoon Lagoon every day done there. For some reason, the wife wants go with my Sis in Law, which is fine with me cause her husband and I get along splendidly. Figure we'll rent a four or five bedroom condo/house with a screened pool and search the NotJBL sources. Reason for that is Spring 17 is when most are saying the Uni Waterpark opens and Avatar at AK should be done and maybe the Pixar additions at Studio. Themed up carnie rides shouldn't take the Disney 2 to 3 years should it? I really want to give Cabana Bay a try if the condo thing doesn't work out. Something about having an on site bowling ally that appeals to me.

In the meantime, I plan of flying the kids out to Disneyland for a three to four day trip sans the wife, it's cool, we've talked about it. I usually do that once a year to make up for kidless duck hunting trips

The other things in the next two to three years is a Disney Cruise, Grand Canyon(thinking a couple of days in Sedona just chilling and golf and then the three day package on the Grand Canyon Railroad with a middle night stay at the south rim. We are trying to get this done together with my Brother's family. I had mentioned Vegas and Hoover and she wants nothing to do with it Not even Hoover. And she is stuck on DC, I will get to Busch Gardens for a day if I'm that close.

The problem with the Disney cruise is that they cut Galveston way back, for what they want to sail out of there, we can fly back to FLA and leave from Canaveral for the same money or less and lose the 11 hr. drive each way.
Sounds awesome! We're not Disney dining people. I haven't had anything that wow'd me and just can't bring myself to pay the table service prices when there is so much good food for much less outside the parks. It was fun when the kids were young enough to love the character dining, though. We usually do breakfast in the room, snack for lunch, then do a big late afternoon meal offsite to get out of the heat (we're both in education, so stuck with summer visits).

Future plans sound like fun! This will be our first trip to Orlando in several years. We've done a few international things and have also been on a Colorado hiking and skiing binge now that the kids are old enough to really put in some days on the trail or slopes. Really looking forward to getting back to Orlando this year!

Thanks again for all the information!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
jap114

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
For Florida residents, 3-day passes are $139, 4-day are $159.

4-Day passes were $99 in 2010.
On the front page ticker of MSN.com today:
"A one-day ticket to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando jumped on Sunday to $105 from $99, an increase that likely makes the Florida family attraction the first in the industry to breach the $100 psychological barrier."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dis...ark/ar-BBhR9Sm
Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
rcgnok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap114 View Post
On the front page ticker of MSN.com today:
"A one-day ticket to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando jumped on Sunday to $105 from $99, an increase that likely makes the Florida family attraction the first in the industry to breach the $100 psychological barrier."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dis...ark/ar-BBhR9Sm
But note that the Florida Resident 3 and 4 day prices that NotJLB referenced did NOT increase (yet)!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

I bought our park tickets for this summer almost two years ago. Knew we would be going, so locked in our prices.

Took a little edge off the room rate increases!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Chittlins

Quote:
I bought our park tickets for this summer almost two years ago. Knew we would be going, so locked in our prices.

Took a little edge off the room rate increases!
We wanted to stay on resort but I would not ever consider Disney's prices so I struck a middle ground and rented point's Dave's. We wanted to stay at two different resorts, Wilderness and Animal Kingdom. 5 nights ran me about 210 per and that was with a savannah view at AK. This was for studio. in the vacation villas. We were pleased. I know there were other ways to get DVC cheaper but not with the flexibility that we got thru Daves, especially the split stay. I giggle when people claim that they got a dining plan free, no you didn't, it's costs are just distributed thru other methods. With the magic bands, we uploaded a credit card that's currently rewarding 5% cash back on travel and dining, That's after we bought Disney and restaurant chains gift cards at Sams on a discount with that card for the discount a month in advance so it would be back to zero. We did it in stages, buy the plane tickets to get the cash back, paid it off, discounted tickets via Undercover Tourist for the cash back, paid it off, then the gift cards for the cash back reward, paid it off, finally the expenses on the trip for the cash back and the wife made the payment last night. Getting Disney gift cards at Sams's is about a 7% discount as well as the gift cards for Darden restuarants and the chains owned by Outback's parent and Chick Fil A. on and on. We even had a discounted gift card for the AMC at DTD. Doing all that paid for nearly half of our air fare in the end and we would have gone cheaper on Allegiant if my elderly Yorkie could handle being kenneled but instead we drove to my Mother's in Memphis for loving doggie care and flew Southwest which wasn't bad considering the legacy's prices that included a plane change out of XNA.

Only Now, after the trip, does Allegiant move into Memphis offering 50 buck each way tickets to Sanford

Last edited by Chittlins; 02-26-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #13
Lindsey
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chittlins View Post
We wanted to stay on resort but I would not ever consider Disney's prices so I struck a middle ground and rented point's Dave's. We wanted to stay at two different resorts, Wilderness and Animal Kingdom. 5 nights ran me about 210 per and that was with a savannah view at AK. This was for studio. in the vacation villas. We were pleased. I know there were other ways to get DVC cheaper but not with the flexibility that we got thru Daves, especially the split stay. I giggle when people claim that they got a dining plan free, no you didn't, it's costs are just distributed thru other methods. With the magic bands, we uploaded a credit card that's currently rewarding 5% cash back on travel and dining, That's after we bought Disney and restaurant chains gift cards at Sams on a discount with that card for the discount a month in advance so it would be back to zero. We did it in stages, buy the plane tickets and got the cash back, paid it off, tickets via Undercover Tourist for the cash back, paid it off, then the gift cards for the cash back, paid it off, finally the expenses on the trip for the cash back and the wife made the payment last night. Getting Disney gift cards at Sams's is about a 7% discount as well as the gift cards for Darden restuarants and the chains owned by Outback's parent and Chick Fil A. on and on. We even had a discounted gift card for the AMC at DTD. Doing all that paid for nearly half of our air fare in the end and we would have gone cheaper on Allegiant if my elderly Yorkie could handle being kenneled but instead we drove to my Mother's in Memphis for loving doggie care and flew Southwest which wasn't bad considering the legacy's prices that included a plane change out of XNA.

Only Now, after the trip, does Allegiant move into Memphis offering 50 buck each way tickets to Sanford
Your hard work is IMPRESSIVE!!!! I was proud for you just reading what all you have accomplished for this big vacation!! So, all in all, how much do you think it will cost you for this vacation (per person)?
Old 02-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #14
Chittlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
Your hard work is IMPRESSIVE!!!! I was proud for you just reading what all you have accomplished for this big vacation!! So, all in all, how much do you think it will cost you for this vacation (per person)?
It was, once we get the cash back reward, about 4,000 for 4. Mind you, that's at Deluxe Disney resorts.

Like I said, if we had used Allegiant without the dog issue, it would have been 3,500 for six nights. It could have been cheaper if we had rented points directly from a DVC owner for a stay at one resort. The kitchenette afforded us the chance to save by doing breakfast in the room as well as snacks at night and beverages, the adult kind all from the closest Superwallymart. My wife isn't a big ride person so she did a bag with some snacks as she skipped most coasters and only rode some once, but most rides there have a place to put loose items. I think ,in the end, I got hit for a couple of Mickey Pretzles, Ice Cream sandwiches and a couple of 20oz sodas that were 2.75 and some souvenirs that were resort specific, like a Disney character totem pole at Wilderness.

Southwest allows for two checked bags free so we took an empty one just to bring back leftovers, no perishable foods like the cereal and popcorn, poptarts.

A perk of the resorts is baggage checkin right there. the day we left, we ditched carryons and just checked everything right there and they printed of the boarding passes which was the only thing we showed up with at MCO besides a backpack with all the tablets, Ipods, and charging cords. Got there two hours early, Alamo was painless and extremely effiecient in giving the car back to them, security was a breeze, and we had over an hour to kill at the gate.

None of my doing compares to what a friend did in about the same timeframe that we went. But he did it from Dallas for a 4 day, 3 night visit to Universal. Via a Spirit fare sale, he scored on less than two months notice, Airfare for 4 to Tampa, insanely cheap car rental via Spirit, Family suite for two nights with the third free at Universal's Cabana Bay. He complained that the Two day park to park with a 3rd day free tickets for the parks were more expensive than the rest. He's figured out Spirit, Costco has a carryon that's small enough to count as an under the seat, personal item. They have four of them and as long as they pack the bare essentials, aren't opposed to doing a load of laundry, and just buy some travel size stuff at Walmart that's not included in the room, those are good enough for a trip that long. Sonce it was the slow season, express passes were not needed, said the longest wait was the Potter stuff and not over 20 minutes. HE did that for under 2,000. Here's the bag at Costco

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/10009...rt=helpfulness

They'll get them back, they always do, most stores even have them when not available online.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #15
StaceySue

Thanks for the review. I love Disney, so I love to hear about people's trips. We probably won't get back until 2017 either. We will probably stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani again. I'd like to try Bay Lake Tower, but it's hard to beat the price at Kidani. We got a one-bedroom last time, but not the savannah view. Renting points is the way to go. We use the DVC Rental store. Thinking about Disney makes me want to plan a trip. Sigh.

Closed Thread