1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

Best Route from Roaring River State Park to Branson

We're doing a picnic lunch/hiking at the hatchery at Roaring River on our way in. Leaving Roaring River, any ideas for best route on over to Branson? Looks to me as my choices are the very crooked 76, very crooked 86, or jogging some extra miles up to Monett-Aurora-Galena-Reeds Spring route. We love the last route mentioned, but seems like we'd be going the long way around if we did that.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
ggh
Super User

Dh and I did the 76 route a few months ago - I read this to him, and he said ....

Take 37 to Monett, take HWY 60 to 160 south into Branson West - it's probably 30 miles longer, and an hour shorter... and there are locations to stop and pee, or get a drink, you'll have cell phone reception and your riding partners won't be green when you arrive at your destination.

Don't trust me? Take 76 to Branson, and you'll find 160 to 60 to Monett, and 37 to Roaring River on the way back.

---- actually, Highway 76 really IS crooked and hilly and car sick prone, with minimal gas stations, convience stores and such, and it is a LONG drive, especially in the dark when you're unfamilar with the roads - BUT it was beautiful when the dogwood and redbud were in bloom, and we didn't have anything to do but time to burn. If you have someone with you who tends to get car sick, I would seriously consider taking 37 to 60 to 160, and get to Branson with everyone up to having a good time.

BTW - Roaring River is worth the trip!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

Thanks for the replies! I'm a veteran of many trips from Cassville to Branson via 76, but it's been a lot of years and I couldn't remember how long it took. Also did 86 once years ago, but that 'seemed' even more crooked.

I tried mapquest last night and put in the 3 routes mentioned. I did it from Seligman to Branson because I wasn't sure of the address for Roaring River. It gave me:

Seligman to Branson via 112, 76: 63.3 miles, 1 hr 26 min.
Seligman to Branson via 112, F, 86: 61.1 miles, 1 hr 17 min.
Seligman to Branson via 112, Monett, Aurora and down: 91 miles, 1 hr 59 min.

I don't have a map that lists miles for highway 76, but does it sound right that the trip to Monett and over would only be 30 miles longer? Looks like that jives with what your DH said, ggh. Sounds like he's spot on. I know it winds some after Crane, but not for as many miles as 76 & 86. Is my thinking off there?

All 3 routes are beautiful. We come from Oklahoma and used to go through Springfield. I know it's the quickest route but I like going through Aurora and Galena better. Those hills get me much more in the Branson spirit than the Springfield route, and the time cost isn't that much. This will be our first trip in a long time to go through Arkansas and Roaring River. Looking forward to it very much!

Last edited by Jalva2; 07-01-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
phillip3225
Branson Resident

I believe the 86 route is actually less crooked and faster than the 76 route. I had to go back and forth from Branson to Cassville about six times over the weekend, the first time we tried 76 then in the afternoon we came back via 86. We were able to come back on 86 in just a little over an hour.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip3225 View Post
I believe the 86 route is actually less crooked and faster than the 76 route. I had to go back and forth from Branson to Cassville about six times over the weekend, the first time we tried 76 then in the afternoon we came back via 86. We were able to come back on 86 in just a little over an hour.
Thanks! That helps a lot!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

Just a thank you to all who responded. When we left Roaring River, we ended up taking highway F to 86, then across to 65.

86 was a great road, I thought. A little crooked, but I could keep my speed at a decent level almost the entire route. Nice views of Table Rock as well. I'm glad we took the plunge and did that.

Roaring River was well worth the trip. We checked out the fishing pools, the kids loved the waterfalls and hatchery, and we did the hike up to the overlook. Spotted some longer trails that I'd like to hike in the future. Absolutely beautiful area.

Closed Thread