1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
engel
Super Ultra Member

Thumbs down Prescription drug plan

I was told I was paying the highest anyone had ever seen! My amazing daughter called the pharmacy and found out my prescriptions would cost a little over $19/month RETAIL. I've been paying $128/month for years for the insurance "plan" ! Maybe, for some people it's good but for me, obviously, it was a ripoff.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engel View Post
I was told I was paying the highest anyone had ever seen! My amazing daughter called the pharmacy and found out my prescriptions would cost a little over $19/month RETAIL. I've been paying $128/month for years for the insurance "plan" ! Maybe, for some people it's good but for me, obviously, it was a ripoff.
Yes it pays to shop around. I have for years not submitting my rx through my insurance, it was cheaper to pay cash at wal-mart. But mine is a cheap generic. If your rx is generic, check on cash prices at different retailers. Many people assume you have to use your insurance for rx's and you do not.....go with what ever is the cheaper route.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #3
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by engel View Post
A plan called GoodRX is supposed to be quite good as far as digging up the discounts. I don't personally use it (don't need it,) but I know several folks who swear by it. Worth checking out.

"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able to Tell the Difference."
Old 12-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
RACN22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalmatianDad View Post
A plan called GoodRX is supposed to be quite good as far as digging up the discounts. I don't personally use it (don't need it,) but I know several folks who swear by it. Worth checking out.
GoodRx is great! We use it all the time and have told many about it. Just download the GoodRx app and it explains everything. Type in the name of your script, # of doses and # of mg and the app will pop up the prices of the medicine at several places near your location (Walmart, Walgreens etc.). We have saved 100s using it this year.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
KJN
Super Ultra Member

Hubby just started Medicare on Dec. 1. So his drug plan is only good for this one month. In January he is going with a different company for his Plan D drug plan. It's 20.00 a month premium and all 3 of his drugs are free. There is one drug he fills about once a year and the lady told me it was Tier 2 so would cost $3.00. We were told to check every year during the open enrollment time frame to see if we can get a better drug deal, as every year companies may change what they cover and the costs associated with the drugs.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
k-2
Ultra Member

You also have to check each year to make sure your pharmacy takes your plan and if they are a Preferred Pharmacy. I have to change pharmacies next year because my current pharmacy will not be a Preferred Pharmacy for my plan. They were this year, but not next year.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
ggh
Super User

always check - every year to see what plan is best for you! It DOES vary from year to year.

Always ask if the insurance price is cheaper than the cash price - and always use the preferred pharmacy for the best price.

if you have a medication that is $$, ask your doctor if there is a cheaper option.

Sometimes meds are expensive because they are extended release, so you can take it once a day - HOWEVER I'd gladly take a pill 3 times a day on the cheap vs. $$$ once a day, wouldn't you?? ASK! Seriously, ask!!! Many times people are paying $$$ for a medication that is available in a slightly different form, but equally effective for less. You do not know if you do not ask.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh View Post
always check - every year to see what plan is best for you! It DOES vary from year to year.

Always ask if the insurance price is cheaper than the cash price - and always use the preferred pharmacy for the best price.

if you have a medication that is $$, ask your doctor if there is a cheaper option.

Sometimes meds are expensive because they are extended release, so you can take it once a day - HOWEVER I'd gladly take a pill 3 times a day on the cheap vs. $$$ once a day, wouldn't you?? ASK! Seriously, ask!!! Many times people are paying $$$ for a medication that is available in a slightly different form, but equally effective for less. You do not know if you do not ask.
Yes, I had my doc change my rx that was an extended form of a bp med. It changed me from 1 pill a day to 2 but this drug is a generic that has been around for a very long time. It Saved me some serious cash and I save even more by not submitting it through my insurance. It went from $85 for 30 day supply (extended release med, once a day) through my insurance to $9 for a 90 day (not extended release, taking twice a day) supply for a cash price. Go figure on how these drug companies get away with that. Because they can.

Last edited by soxster; 12-10-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Closed Thread