1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Unhappy Not looking like fun!

Vince Elfrink Memorial Trout Tournament on Saturday.
Quote:
Friday Night:
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 49. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Saturday:
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before noon, then a chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 65
Anybody want to sit in the middle of a lake, in an aluminum boat, with a graphite rod in your hand DURING A THUNDER STORM?
Old 02-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post

Anybody want to sit in the middle of a lake, in an aluminum boat, with a graphite rod in your hand DURING A THUNDER STORM?
Hope your on Taneycomo.... Paddlewheel should be open..

Good Luck!!
Old 02-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunerider View Post

Good Luck!!
Thanks. It wasn't open three weeks ago when we were fishing down there on the Friday before the last tournament.
On tournament day I don't stop foe anything. Maybe grab a chunk of jerky. I sometimes don't even stop for a drink of water, which I should.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
bottomdweller

Quote:
Thanks. It wasn't open three weeks ago when we were fishing down there on the Friday before the last tournament.
On tournament day I don't stop foe anything. Maybe grab a chunk of jerky. I sometimes don't even stop for a drink of water, which I should.
That is dedicated, and I know how you feel.
A group of 5 of us went scuba diving on 02/10/18 at Bennett Springs State Park. It was 20 degrees and freezing rain when we went in the water that day.
Not the best of days to be diving.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

Quote:

Nope. Be safe!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #6
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomdweller View Post
That is dedicated, and I know how you feel.
A group of 5 of us went scuba diving on 02/10/18 at Bennett Springs State Park. It was 20 degrees and freezing rain when we went in the water that day.
Not the best of days to be diving.
I want to hear more about this! I grew up going to Bennett Springs frequently, it was a favorite place for our family to fish, camp, picnic, hike, have family reunions, and it's still a favorite place to go, now I take my grandchildren.

Did you dive into the spring or downstream? Do you have pictures? I bet the water felt warm if it was 20 degrees out when you were diving.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Ummm? I was thinking more about bad weather, lightning, rain...
go to Paddlewheel.....
you know, to get out of the weather
Old 02-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Yeah, might be looking for somewhere to pull in if it starts getting bad. Not even sure where I will be fishing. I do have a lightning strike app with alarm on my phone, so if it starts getting close I will head somewhere.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #9
bottomdweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh View Post
I want to hear more about this! I grew up going to Bennett Springs frequently, it was a favorite place for our family to fish, camp, picnic, hike, have family reunions, and it's still a favorite place to go, now I take my grandchildren.

Did you dive into the spring or downstream? Do you have pictures? I bet the water felt warm if it was 20 degrees out when you were diving.
I started a new thread in the Other Destinations section about this as to not hijack this thread.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
VictoriasMom
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunerider View Post

Good Luck!!
Just FYI: Paddlewheel is still on Winter hours and does not open till 4pm each day.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriasMom View Post
Just FYI: Paddlewheel is still on Winter hours and does not open till 4pm each day.
OH? well just park the boat, get in car and go to Cheeky Monkey, They are open and always glad to see ya!!
Old 02-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #12
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Yup. Last night's downpour really did us in. Taneycomo looks like chocolate Milk. Maybe the Trophy area will be clearer. Several boats chose to fish up there. We'll see at weigh in. Problem in a tournament is you have to declare at the start if you will be fishing in the trophy area, and then can only weigh in fish that are legal to keep there regardless where you catch them. Rainbow under 12" or over 20". If you declare below the trophy atea you can weigh all rainbows, but you can't fish above Fall Creek.
Lots of teams still out, but after all morning with only two very small fish my partner was ready to give up. Rain suits were keeping us dry, but it was still miserable after the rain start coming down hard. Gave up early, and went to the Farmhouse with the girls for lunch.
The weigh in this afternoon is going to be interesting.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:20 AM   #13
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Well, I could say we tied for 13th place out of 50 boats.........along with the 37 other teams that didn't weigh in any fish.
One team was lucky enough (that's exactly how they described it) to catch a Brown Trout just over 8 pounds. Would have won with just one fish, but did add three small rainbows for a total just over ten pounds. The rest of the winning team's weights were in the five and a half to just under seven pound range. With the seven pound bag including the big Rainbow of the day at 2.34 pounds.
Everybody agreed, the toughest tournament ever on Taneycomo.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #14
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

I think besides the conditions, both rain, and lake, only two very small fish all morning, those being the only bites we had, breaking one of his best rods was the last straw for my son.

Closed Thread