1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
ggh
Super User

Who's been fishing?

Don't exceed your limit!

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...ory/784744001/
Old 10-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Why does their story start with a picture of the record paddlefish caught out of Table Rock?
Oh well, good job MDC. There is no reason other than greed to have so many fish over your limit. On a good day I might catch 40 or 50. If I want some fish for the table I will keep my limit of four decent sized trout. 12-15 inches. Any under, or over are returned to the lake. All after I have a limit in the boat are released.
Taneycomo is not supposed to be an "all you can eat" Branson buffet!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
billj598

A measly $1000 fine is just peanuts.

It's time to put some serious monetary penalties and even jail consequences on meat-hog violators like these two. Maybe it's time to start confiscating their boats and tow vehicles like the State of Minnesota does with game and fish regulation violators ?

Rescinding their "fishing privileges" is going to last until maybe next week when they'll be back at it again. They were in full knowledge of what they were trying to get away with when way over both the daily catch and possession limits.

It's not just Trout that are affected by these meat-hogs but our Deer population gets hit hard by Poachers using early and illegal methods too. We're currently hearing the usual high-powered, single rifle shots and know of one particular Archery hunter that is staying on their stand in the woods way after dark.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
and know of one particular Archery hunter that is staying on their stand in the woods way after dark.
You can do your part.
https://mdc.mo.gov/contact-engage/re...ion-game-thief
Old 10-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

Hmmm...well there are several points to consider...up until 2014, it WAS LEGAL to take an UNLIMITED number of anterless/young bucks/does in Missouri! So, if you had neighbors "bragging" about having 6 (or for that matter, 600!!) deer in their freezer(s) in the years preceding and up to, 2014, they were doing NOTHING illegal!

As for a truck sitting beside a road, after dark, with hunting decals all over it..well, it just depends HOW FAR that hunter had to walk in to get into his tree stand! If he is several miles deep into the woods (yes, it IS possible to be "there") and stays on the stand until sundown/dark, then carefully walks out, going up and down the rugged canyons, hollers, skirting rock bluffs, and streams, it can take a LONG TIME to get back to your truck!! And again, he is doing NOTHING illegal!

There are areas in Missouri with SEVERE deer overpopulations! As an example, take the tiny little burg of Town and Country. They have been spending $100K, that's correct, ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS, every year to fund the killing of thousands of deer, in a desperate attempt to gain control of the whitetail OVERPOPULATION in their area! But to no avail, as the more they spend, the more deer they kill, the FASTER the deer reproduce, and the LARGER the OVERPOPULATION of white tails becomes! Last I heard, they were looking to either attempt a vast STERILIZATION of the deer herds....there seems to be conflicting debate within the scientific community as to whether that is a viable option, that is more effective than hunting and shooting them.

My personal opinion, is that I am tired of being on edge anytime I am driving at dark on any Missouri highway, straining my eyes and ready to slam on my brakes or take drastic evasive action, for any deer that jump out in front of me! So, IMO, please harvest all the deer you wish! I have had multiple collisons with deer, in Missouri, and Arkansas, traveling back and forth at times, and I don't wish for any more! Of course, do all your "harvesting" legally..yep, yep.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
it just depends HOW FAR that hunter had to walk in to get into his tree stand! If he is several miles deep into the woods (yes, it IS possible to be "there") and stays on the stand until sundown/dark, then carefully walks out,
Yes, I thought that could be a viable reason. However, even though legal by MDC regulations I think it is unethical to stay on your stand until the legal 1/2 hour after sunset. Especially during an archery hunt where having to track a deer in the dark is a very high possibility. Making losing the deer a much larger possibility than if you had an hour or more of good light.
Back to the original point of this thread, I find it interesting these guys were caught. In over 25 years of fishing on Taneycomo I have never been checked by an agent. A few years ago, and now again recently I have been approached by MDC employees, not agents, surveying fishermen. But they haven't even asked to see a permit, and only went by what I told them I had in the livewell. They did however want to measure one nice fish while I was fishing a tournament....and almost dropped it in the lake!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
I used to be on the state Operation Game Thief board here in Louisiana. It was interesting and, I believed, worthwhile. I got off because it was a long drive for meetings, but it was a good experience.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #8
billj598

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Yes, I thought that could be a viable reason. However, even though legal by MDC regulations I think it is unethical to stay on your stand until the legal 1/2 hour after sunset. Especially during an archery hunt where having to track a deer in the dark is a very high possibility. Making losing the deer a much larger possibility than if you had an hour or more of good light.
Back to the original point of this thread, I find it interesting these guys were caught. In over 25 years of fishing on Taneycomo I have never been checked by an agent. A few years ago, and now again recently I have been approached by MDC employees, not agents, surveying fishermen. But they haven't even asked to see a permit, and only went by what I told them I had in the livewell. They did however want to measure one nice fish while I was fishing a tournament....and almost dropped it in the lake!
We used to get checked by a Creel Census MDC guy regularly on TR but he became ill and passed away. That was years ago and they never replaced him.

Kinda' welcomed his "checks" cause he was always ready to pass on some info from others about what they were biting on
Old 10-24-2017, 04:46 AM   #9
flyfishinggolfer

who's been fishing

To answer the original question, "who's been fishing", I have. The water was way down last weekend and I started out by being dropped off at the dam and waded/fished my way back to Pointe Royale. The boss went shopping. I did very well, but only on one fly, the Tiger Tail. It was overcast, but did not rain. In low light conditions I find my amber lens sun glasses worked the best.
I once ran off some people fishing at the Rebar Hole from the bank using Powerbait and keeping every fish. They were over the limit even if they could keep them. I chewed them out and told them they were going to jail because I had called the conversation agent. They skedaddled!

Fly
Old 10-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishinggolfer View Post
To answer the original question, "who's been fishing", I have. The water was way down last weekend and I started out by being dropped off at the dam and waded/fished my way back to Pointe Royale. The boss went shopping. I did very well, but only on one fly, the Tiger Tail. It was overcast, but did not rain. In low light conditions I find my amber lens sun glasses worked the best.
I once ran off some people fishing at the Rebar Hole from the bank using Powerbait and keeping every fish. They were over the limit even if they could keep them. I chewed them out and told them they were going to jail because I had called the conversation agent. They skedaddled!

Fly
Good job Fly. Although I usually try to handle such situation with a bit more finesse. I will start by pointing out the special regulations, and daily limit. If that leads to a more comfrontational response, it's Operation Game Theft phone call time.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
Gilligan
Ultra Member

There has been a male and female viewed multiple times in the dry fly area fishing with live bait and tossing caught fish in the bushes. Many fisherman have commented on fishing sites, and it has been reported to authorities many times. Perhaps that's why the agents were on the lake - looking for this couple.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:18 AM   #12
flyfishinggolfer

who's been fishing

I'll be looking for them! And I'll call them out if I see them! Fly fishing is the quiet sport except when someone is ruining it for us!

Fly
Old 10-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #13
Ms_Terese
Local Member

I wonder why the News Leader story doesn't mention the names of the offenders. They don't hesitate identifying other law breakers (DUI, burglary, etc.)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #14
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishinggolfer View Post
I'll be looking for them! And I'll call them out if I see them! Fly fishing is the quiet sport except when someone is ruining it for us!

Fly
While there is no such thing on Taneycomo as "the dry fly area", from Table Rock dam to Fall Creek is a special regulation trophy area. With bait restrictions on live bait, scented bait, or soft plastic baits. Lures other than flys are completely legal. Jigs, spinners, spoons, crank baits, jerk baits. As long as they are not made of soft plastic. Also there is a slot length limit. Where rainbow trout between 12 and 20 inches must be released unharmed. There is a lake wide minimum length of 20 inches for brown trout. Requiring the safe release of any brown under the 20" minimum.
If these people are using illegal methods, and "stashing" fish either in the slot or not they need to be arrested by a MDC agent.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #15
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Fly fishing is the quiet sport except when someone is ruining it for us!
Or when I go by.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
I do however have a self imposed restriction of where I run when the water is down, and there are wading fishermen in the lake. I won't go above the MDC ramp even though I could, and usually not above Lookout by Andy William's house.

Closed Thread