1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Lexx

Sammy Lane Lookout location

Does anyone know the exact location from the SOTH book where Sammy Lane lookout is? There is a photo of it below.

http://gchudleigh.com/images/lookoutpayne.jpg
Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx View Post
Does anyone know the exact location from the SOTH book where Sammy Lane lookout is? There is a photo of it below.

http://gchudleigh.com/images/lookoutpayne.jpg
I was thinking it was on the edge of Dewey Bald and that it is all overgrown now and not visible. And the map in the book you can get here in town "The History" (Those who walked with Wright) shows Sammy's Lookout near the Signal Tree on Dewey Bald.

Last edited by preacherman; 09-06-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

So-o-o where is Dewey Bald & the Signal Tree?
(I'm thinking that the Signal Tree is no longer around?)
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Branson View Post
So-o-o where is Dewey Bald & the Signal Tree?
(I'm thinking that the Signal Tree is no longer around?)
It's out on west 76 at Ruth and Paul Henning area. There's a paved path to walk to the top and a sightseeing tower at top. And you are correct, the book says the tree crumbled around 1947. "At the turn of the century, the U. S. Geological Survey team selected a number of hilltops in the Ozark hills for survey markers. They cleared away everything in a large radius atop the hills, leaving the tallest tree. They became known as Pilot Knobs" It was difficult to find many of these knobs because most didn't have much vegetation on them, let alone a tree tall enough to be seen from a distance.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
Darbecca
Ultra Member

I wish someone would publish a map or brochure with all the places mentioned in the book and that the locations would have markers or plaques. It could be a Shepherd of the Hills trail. I can't believe Sammy's Lookout was allowed to be overgrown with weeds.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

Interesting stuff. I love the history of the area.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbecca View Post
I wish someone would publish a map or brochure with all the places mentioned in the book and that the locations would have markers or plaques. It could be a Shepherd of the Hills trail. I can't believe Sammy's Lookout was allowed to be overgrown with weeds.
The book that I mentioned has a map and it only costs $5.95. There are several pictures including the signal tree. The list includes: Old Matt's cabin, Truman Powell homestead (said to be who the Old Shepherd was patterned after), sheep ranch, first location of the mill, Will Powell homestead (Preachin' Bill), deer lick, signal tree, Sammy's lookout, Jim Lane cabin, ledges where Sammy hid from Baldknobbers, post office, Fiddlin' Jake's homestead, the cove school, the Forks, Wash Gibb's cabin.

I think some of you are already aware of this book but others may not be. Just a map would be helpful but the book helps people to understand more of the history, especially for those who haven't read the book.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Darbecca
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
The book that I mentioned has a map and it only costs $5.95. There are several pictures including the signal tree. The list includes: Old Matt's cabin, Truman Powell homestead (said to be who the Old Shepherd was patterned after), sheep ranch, first location of the mill, Will Powell homestead (Preachin' Bill), deer lick, signal tree, Sammy's lookout, Jim Lane cabin, ledges where Sammy hid from Baldknobbers, post office, Fiddlin' Jake's homestead, the cove school, the Forks, Wash Gibb's cabin.

I think some of you are already aware of this book but others may not be. Just a map would be helpful but the book helps people to understand more of the history, especially for those who haven't read the book.
I think I have that book. I was thinking more of something that you could hold in your hand and follow the "trail." Maybe I could just copy the map out of the book.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbecca View Post
I think I have that book. I was thinking more of something that you could hold in your hand and follow the "trail." Maybe I could just copy the map out of the book.
I was thinking that you had that book too. I agree, a brochure would be nice. I remember when we were trying to find the town of Gretna and its church (researching the book "Walking Preacher of the Ozarks") could have helped but a waitress at Farmhouse helped us there.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
shis1
Str8fn

Where would you suggest I go to purchase that book, Mrs. Preacherman? Since we are leaving town tomorrow, I don't have a lot of time to 'shop around' and 2 shows today, so need to 'just run in and pick up a copy'! But I think I'd really enjoy it.

(Yesterday we took a 'long drive', wanted to find the Sycamore Road Log Church again! Read an article in a newspaper about it this week, didn't realize that the church has a 'pastor' and that services are still held there. We did find the church, stopped and went inside. It's a neat old building.)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
Where would you suggest I go to purchase that book, Mrs. Preacherman? Since we are leaving town tomorrow, I don't have a lot of time to 'shop around' and 2 shows today, so need to 'just run in and pick up a copy'! But I think I'd really enjoy it.

(Yesterday we took a 'long drive', wanted to find the Sycamore Road Log Church again! Read an article in a newspaper about it this week, didn't realize that the church has a 'pastor' and that services are still held there. We did find the church, stopped and went inside. It's a neat old building.)
We always see it at Dick's. They also have one called "Branson, A Timeline History" that is interesting. Yes, the church still offers worship services. (did you go clear through on the road?) We had found that while researching the "Walking Preacher" because he was asked to serve them as well as the Gretna church and walked from one to the other. They have a picture of his book at Sycamore.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
shis1
Str8fn

Quote:
We always see it at Dick's. They also have one called "Branson, A Timeline History" that is interesting. Yes, the church still offers worship services. (did you go clear through on the road?) We had found that while researching the "Walking Preacher" because he was asked to serve them as well as the Gretna church and walked from one to the other. They have a picture of his book at Sycamore.
Will make a stop at Dick's today! Thanks! And yes, we 'went clear through' on the road. We 'reversed' the route, and drove the opposite direction of when you all were our tour directors! We weren't 'sure' of where we were going, but once we found Sycamore Road, we just kept going!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
Will make a stop at Dick's today! Thanks! And yes, we 'went clear through' on the road. We 'reversed' the route, and drove the opposite direction of when you all were our tour directors! We weren't 'sure' of where we were going, but once we found Sycamore Road, we just kept going!
Good job ~ and safe trip home. By the way, I have seen those books elsewhere but can't remember where
Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
shis1
Str8fn

Quote:
Good job ~ and safe trip home. By the way, I have seen those books elsewhere but can't remember where
I'll find them! If not today, they'll be on the 'bucket list' for the next trip!
I've got Shepherd of the Hills loaded on my Kindle, so am 'enthused' to read it again...has been a long time since I read it.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Lexx

Quote:
I was thinking it was on the edge of Dewey Bald and that it is all overgrown now and not visible. And the map in the book you can get here in town "The History" (Those who walked with Wright) shows Sammy's Lookout near the Signal Tree on Dewey Bald.
Thanks for the info, Preacherman. I really appreciate it. I figured it was around that area. I have walked over there quite a bit but never ran across anything that looked like the photo.

Closed Thread