1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Attractions

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
bransonlover

Sammy Lane...So Sad!

I got an email from The Branson Courier today. One of the articles talks about a part of Branson's history (Sammy Lane cruise ship) being destroyed with a backhoe. So sad to see these pictures and read this story!!!

Here is the link: http://www.bransoncourier.com/issue-13/-705.html

Last edited by bransonlover; 03-28-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
kidfuture
Broker / Realtor

Thumbs down Senseless

Those pictures are awful. Why did they do this? I wonder what happened to the pirate ship? They should have at least tried to auction the boats off. I'm sure somebody would have paid for them.

Besides, there are several museums in town that could have housed it. The Branson Entertainment Hall of Fame is opening in May and actively looking for past Branson artifacts and memorabilia. The Sammy Lane would have been perfect!

Just wait until The Mat Maniac views this link. He's going to have a coronary.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidfuture View Post
Those pictures are awful. Why did they do this? I wonder what happened to the pirate ship? They should have at least tried to auction the boats off. I'm sure somebody would have paid for them.

Besides, there are several museums in town that could have housed it. The Branson Entertainment Hall of Fame is opening in May and actively looking for past Branson artifacts and memorabilia. The Sammy Lane would have been perfect!

Where will the Branson Entertainment Hall of Fame be? What great news!

Last edited by preacherman; 03-28-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
kidfuture
Broker / Realtor

The Branson Entertainment Hall of Fame will be located inside the Branson Mall on Highway 76, next to Wal-Mart. It will be geared more towards past performers.

The Sammy Lane would have been best suited for the Ralph Foster Museum at College of the Ozarks. That museum is full of displays from Branson's past. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
The Branson Entertainment Hall of Fame will be located inside the Branson Mall on Highway 76, next to Wal-Mart. It will be geared more towards past performers.

The Sammy Lane would have been best suited for the Ralph Foster Museum at College of the Ozarks. That museum is full of displays from Branson's past. I highly recommend it.
Thanks Charlie - hopefully we can check out the Ralph Foster when we are there next month too!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
The Mat Maniac

Quote:

Im not even in the mood to talk right now... wondering how a businessman can make money to purchase something..then to destroy it... why not let someone else have taken it or donate it to a museum...
Old 03-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
live4branson

HORRORS!!!
Imagine that. A property owner disposing of HIS possesions without clearing it with by-standers or an imperialistic government. This thing called freedom is so over-rated. By the way, when your car wears out in the future be sure to let us all know, and we'll tell you what to do with it. Oh, wait. We already know. Nothing new. It's old, but Just keep pouring money into it, because that's what we want.
Holy Cow
L4B
Old 03-29-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
The Mat Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4branson View Post
HORRORS!!!
Imagine that. A property owner disposing of HIS possesions without clearing it with by-standers or an imperialistic government. This thing called freedom is so over-rated. By the way, when your car wears out in the future be sure to let us all know, and we'll tell you what to do with it. Oh, wait. We already know. Nothing new. It's old, but Just keep pouring money into it, because that's what we want.
Holy Cow
L4B
Ok...how about this... would you just toss the car away...or use it for a trade in or something? What if you owned the batmobile? would you try to still make money off of it when you know it will attract...or destroy a historic vehicle. But wait...the area again doesnt like the old does it? THey tore down a historic landmark (Sammy Lane Resorts Pool)...to build the landing...and for the info...it was registered as a historic landmark...but if people dont stand up for things...nothing will get done. Its not about what we want....whether or not I was a fan of it or not... it was still an attraction still talked about and still made money. With the new Landing they could have upgraded or got new boats (mayyyybeee theres that chance)..and offered it to the new tourists flocking to the "precious landing"... how about this...lets build a new mall around a mcdonalds...the mcdonalds is making money...but the new mall will attract more people for business. Lets buy the mcdonalds ... and tear it down...who cares about the money wasted (question...was it tax payer money that helped to finance the landing? if so ....wasnt tax payer money just wasted?)...who cares about the kids who enjoyed the playplace and wanted to go there every time they were around... who cares about the parents that loved eating there too.. who cares if tourists came to see this place... when probally the mall will have some generic burger place with no thrills or excitement...just a plain burger.. and probally that same burger place wouldnt have the same attraction as the McDonalds that tore down... from a business stand point its a bad move. Wait...maybe someone would want it...or perhaps put the stuff from the mcdonalds in a museum... nah...torch the place...why sell it to someone who would have made use out of it. Keep in mind, I do know for a fact that the Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise property was inquired about being purchased for bringing back the attraction...from a business person that had the pitch brought to him by a major fan of it... and was turned down. Now ask..why? when it was a little more money than what it was purchased for originally.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mat Maniac View Post
Im not even in the mood to talk right now... wondering how a businessman can make money to purchase something..then to destroy it... why not let someone else have taken it or donate it to a museum...
Hey Matt...
Maybe you can go over by there with a shovel and scoop up some Sammy Lane ashes to scatter over Taneycomo?

Old 03-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
The Mat Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Bluesman View Post
Hey Matt...
Maybe you can go over by there with a shovel and scoop up some Sammy Lane ashes to scatter over Taneycomo?

I hope you are a decent singer..cause for comedy..you rank right up there with the people who made the movie "Ringer"
Old 03-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mat Maniac View Post
I hope you are a decent singer..cause for comedy..you rank right up there with the people who made the movie "Ringer"
WHAT? Not a Johnny Knoxville fan, eh?
That's ok, some folks just don't "get" what he does...
some folks didn't "get" Borat either...
whatever works for ya...
But I gotta tell you...that the memory I have of the Sammy Lane was of the pirate partaking in WAY too much Ozark Moonshine on the banks of ye olde Taneycomo...aye matey!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #12
DJax
I'm not afraid to use 'em

And you would never portray a pirate as being drunk. Even tho he always was

Closed Thread