1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Old 04-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
LynndaofNJ
Proud American Mom

Question Brake Fluid / Power Steering Fluid

I know nothing about cars and would appreciate clarification as to whether or not brake fluid can also be used as power steering fluid. (I was told that it can, but the person isn't particularly knowledgeable on the subject.) Thank you for your help!
LynndaofNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Some fluids are interchangeable, but if they are they probably are noted in your manual. I've never heard of the one you mention. I would not try it as there is little to be gained even if it does work, but when in doubt check your dealer.
When you think how vital brakes are, it is best to be very careful.

Buffalo could fly if we would just stop eating their wings.

Last edited by DalmatianDad; 04-17-2019 at 04:30 PM.
DalmatianDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #3
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynndaofNJ View Post
I know nothing about cars and would appreciate clarification as to whether or not brake fluid can also be used as power steering fluid. (I was told that it can, but the person isn't particularly knowledgeable on the subject.) Thank you for your help!

NO, Never should brake fluid be used in any other hydarulic system on the car, including the PS system. It will take the seals out of the PS pump, and may also damage the internal seals on your rack and pinions IF you one on your vehicle.

Used to be you could use tans fluid in the PS system without any problems, But that was years ago.. ! Now with newer cars and all the new fluid/oils specs, I would very strongly suggest you buy fluid intended for the correct use..... Brake fluid for Master cylinder, PS fluid for PS and so on....