1 Branson. com MO Forum
   

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2020, 04:58 AM   #1
Diane1611
Missing Branson
 
Diane1611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 837
Unhappy Moon River Theater to be auctioned off next week

Moon River is a very nice theater. Hopefully, the new owner will save the building and retrofit it to make it easier for physically challenged customers to enter rather than tear it down for future development.

Moon River Theatre to go up for auction next week

by: Chris Six

Posted: Jul 22, 2020 / 12:06 PM CDT / Updated: Jul 22, 2020 / 06:25 PM CDT

BRANSON, Mo- An auction to purchase the Moon River Theatre in Branson is scheduled to begin next Monday.

The theatre went up for sale in November of 2019, with a price of $6 million. Now, it is moving to an auction with the starting bid at $1.5 million.

The historic Branson theatre was once home to shows by Andy Williams. Williams died of cancer in 2012, and his theater was later bought by his friend Jimmy Osmond of the Osmond Brothers.

More at the link: https://www.ozarksfirst.com/top-stor...9QZfBm.M9ekTHp
Diane1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:44 AM   #2
Coach Man
Super Ultra Member
 
Coach Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane1611 View Post
Moon River is a very nice theater. Hopefully, the new owner will save the building and retrofit it to make it easier for physically challenged customers to enter rather than tear it down for future development.

Moon River Theatre to go up for auction next week

by: Chris Six

Posted: Jul 22, 2020 / 12:06 PM CDT / Updated: Jul 22, 2020 / 06:25 PM CDT

BRANSON, Mo- An auction to purchase the Moon River Theatre in Branson is scheduled to begin next Monday.

The theatre went up for sale in November of 2019, with a price of $6 million. Now, it is moving to an auction with the starting bid at $1.5 million.

The historic Branson theatre was once home to shows by Andy Williams. Williams died of cancer in 2012, and his theater was later bought by his friend Jimmy Osmond of the Osmond Brothers.

More at the link: https://www.ozarksfirst.com/top-stor...9QZfBm.M9ekTHp
The latter would be the best option. However, in these times, that is unlikely to happen, either.

Coach Man.
__________________
"We Don't Need No Thought Control!"
Coach Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:30 AM   #3
OkieAnon
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 22,795
Beautiful theater on the outside horribly designed theater on the inside, who I wonder was the idiot that said a lot of steps would be great for older folks.

Some of the nicest people in Branson was the folks working there that helped us get a relative out a back door.
OkieAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
Branson Friend
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane1611 View Post
Moon River is a very nice theater. Hopefully, the new owner will save the building and retrofit it to make it easier for physically challenged customers to enter rather than tear it down for future development
The cost to make the architectural changes would probably be more expensive than buying another theater in town. Unless someone comes to town and wants to purchase the building as a hobby because they have money to burn the venue cannot survive.

In addition to all of the other factors previously discussed, the simple operational costs to heat and cool the building and maintaining the grounds are astronomical. Andy Williams built it that way because he wanted an architecturally beautiful facility, even at the expense of it being user-friendly. The current owner was delusional in thinking he could make the venue profitable, and now most likely it will be another monument to Branson‘s declining theater industry.
Branson Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Coach Man
Super Ultra Member
 
Coach Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Friend View Post
The cost to make the architectural changes would probably be more expensive than buying another theater in town. Unless someone comes to town and wants to purchase the building as a hobby because they have money to burn the venue cannot survive.

In addition to all of the other factors previously discussed, the simple operational costs to heat and cool the building and maintaining the grounds are astronomical. Andy Williams built it that way because he wanted an architecturally beautiful facility, even at the expense of it being user-friendly. The current owner was delusional in thinking he could make the venue profitable, and now most likely it will be another monument to Branson‘s declining theater industry.
Even the outside doesn't cut it. In the Winter, Motorcoaches can slide on ice/snow in the lot.....even when parked.

Coach Man.
__________________
"We Don't Need No Thought Control!"
Coach Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member
 
biscuitcreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Arkansas Ozarks
Posts: 15,329
Article from Branson Tri-Lakes News:

https://bransontrilakesnews.com/news...91bbbd5fe.html
biscuitcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #7
Branson Friend
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 191
Springfield News-Leader story

Thank you to the Springfield News-Leader for asking me to comment on the sale.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...Atl-NNGU7opEdM
Branson Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #8
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member
 
bransoncutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Branson, MO
Posts: 12,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Friend View Post
The cost to make the architectural changes would probably be more expensive than buying another theater in town. Unless someone comes to town and wants to purchase the building as a hobby because they have money to burn the venue cannot survive.

In addition to all of the other factors previously discussed, the simple operational costs to heat and cool the building and maintaining the grounds are astronomical. Andy Williams built it that way because he wanted an architecturally beautiful facility, even at the expense of it being user-friendly. The current owner was delusional in thinking he could make the venue profitable, and now most likely it will be another monument to Branson‘s declining theater industry.
I do NOT take kindly to ANYONE calling my personal friends delusional!!! So you might want to back off with that one!!! Jimmy never made it a secret that he really was not wanting to get back in to the Branson theatre game. But Andy Williams was insistent that he wanted Jimmy to buy the theatre. He reluctantly did so out of his love and respect for “The Boss” as the Osmonds always referred to Andy. He poured a goo deal of money to do what he could to make it more accessible.
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
otterchaos
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 69
That is quite an attractive price for that property. I've never been inside, so I can't speak to the practicality of the building, but I am all for bringing something to that location! Whether a refurb or a rebuild... we'll just have to see!
otterchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Branson Friend
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bransoncutie View Post
I do NOT take kindly to ANYONE calling my personal friends delusional!!! So you might want to back off with that one!!! Jimmy never made it a secret that he really was not wanting to get back in to the Branson theatre game. But Andy Williams was insistent that he wanted Jimmy to buy the theatre. He reluctantly did so out of his love and respect for “The Boss” as the Osmonds always referred to Andy. He poured a goo deal of money to do what he could to make it more accessible.
That is not a personal attack, it is a discussion of business. In Branson it is very difficult to discuss issues such as this. That is why the Springfield newspaper did the best job in reporting the story. A thread about another venue operating in town is continually deleted because the only way to answer questions honestly does not produce a “puppy dogs and rainbows” response.

Many of us made business decisions based on the information we were given there, and much information turned out to be incorrect. Please do not be confused by the public relations explanation you were given for ownership of the venue and the reality of what happened. I was simply responding based on what I was personally told by the owner. He told me he had no interest in operating it as a venue, it was not going to be an ongoing tribute to the man who built the structure. It was designed to be a real estate flip as quickly as possible. It was not a Hallmark movie, it was a business transaction. If he could have sold the theater to anyone the day he purchased it and they bulldozed it, that would’ve happened.

We wish your friend improved health and much happiness, and we wish the very best for all who are/were employed or impacted by the auction of the venue. All of us who have ever set foot in the building are saddened by what is happening. Andy was the definition of “class” in the entertainment industry, and that is why he invested so heavily in the construction of the theater. It was beautiful architecturally, but had some operating issues. Nonetheless, he operated it very successfully for many years.
Branson Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #11
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member
 
bransoncutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Branson, MO
Posts: 12,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Friend View Post
That is not a personal attack, it is a discussion of business. In Branson it is very difficult to discuss issues such as this. That is why the Springfield newspaper did the best job in reporting the story. A thread about another venue operating in town is continually deleted because the only way to answer questions honestly does not produce a “puppy dogs and rainbows” response.

Many of us made business decisions based on the information we were given there, and much information turned out to be incorrect. Please do not be confused by the public relations explanation you were given for ownership of the venue and the reality of what happened. I was simply responding based on what I was personally told by the owner. He told me he had no interest in operating it as a venue, it was not going to be an ongoing tribute to the man who built the structure. It was designed to be a real estate flip as quickly as possible. It was not a Hallmark movie, it was a business transaction. If he could have sold the theater to anyone the day he purchased it and they bulldozed it, that would’ve happened.

We wish your friend improved health and much happiness, and we wish the very best for all who are/were employed or impacted by the auction of the venue. All of us who have ever set foot in the building are saddened by what is happening. Andy was the definition of “class” in the entertainment industry, and that is why he invested so heavily in the construction of the theater. It was beautiful architecturally, but had some operating issues. Nonetheless, he operated it very successfully for many years.
Trust me, I know a lot more inside Info as well. And not just on Jimmy. I know he has already had the place on the market before his stroke. That stroke was devastating for him, not just physically and personally, but professionally as well.
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
DalmatianDad
aka - DD
 
DalmatianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 13,298
Like a lot of other folks here, I've gone to many shows over the years at Andy's place including his last.. Every one of them was first class and very well attended. Going there was a pleasure thanks to the decor and architecture.
After Andy passed the art went away and management came up with some nutty ideas to save the place I assume.
We also have to factor in the slow steady decline in Branson show biz. Go back 15 years. Not nearly the competition for the tourist dollars as there is now.
Does it make you think maybe it really isn't the hilly parking lot or the interior stairs that lead to this? Oh, then we have to covid 19 to deal with.
__________________
.

"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able to Tell the Difference."
DalmatianDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #13
MLM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 200
Actually.... going on a soapbox now—— sorry! Time for everyone to stop saying “declining” shows. The fact is—- 100 shows. When I moved here in 1995.... 40 shows. Many many people... more than 1995... coming here. Good high quality shows = profit. The other 65 shows... you can fill in the blank. The state of tourism here has little to do with popularity as a destination and everything to do with the weird balance between ticket sellers and shows and the number of shows artificially supported in town.
MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #14
Coach Man
Super Ultra Member
 
Coach Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,419
"It's The Most Wonderful Site.........For A Church!"

Coach Man.
__________________
"We Don't Need No Thought Control!"
Coach Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #15
bransonaudio
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Man View Post
"It's The Most Wonderful Site.........For A Church!"

Coach Man.
As a former employee of Andy's, nothing would sicken me more than that
superb venue being converted to a church. I'd rather bulldoze it myself.
bransonaudio is offline   Reply With Quote


 

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Hits at Moon River Theater biscuitcreek Branson Shows 5 04-22-2015 05:46 PM
The Lettermen at Moon River Theater biscuitcreek Branson Shows 2 04-08-2015 10:24 AM
Moon River Theater 2015 biscuitcreek Branson Shows 3 01-11-2015 08:52 PM
Moon River Theater update biscuitcreek Branson Shows 8 10-31-2012 08:21 AM
Moon River Theater 2009 biscuitcreek Branson Shows 7 11-08-2008 08:14 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 AM.


--