1 Branson. com MO Forum
   

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Attractions

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,074
SDC and Flu Panic

So, I have a feeling we are all going to witness some massive LOW crowd turnouts at SDC this year due to the current Wuhan Flu panic being generated 24/7 by the media....
People will not doubt choose not to travel much at Spring Break, and I do not see people wanting to hang around with 20,000+ other people jammed together inside the park, in lines for rides and food. I have this really bad feeling we are going to see some difficult times for quite a few Branson business's to stay afloat financially this year. After all, lots of the "high risk" meaning 60+ aged people come to Branson, pack the theatres, restaurants and mosey around SDC....I don't think people are going to risk being exposed, with the media now clamoring non stop for "Social Distancing"....
leftsaidted is offline  
Old 03-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator
 
tortminder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: State of confusion
Posts: 2,337
Thumbs up Today's thought...

What you focus on expands.

If you indulge the fear in your life, it will only grow and consume you.

Fear is itself a virus that has plagued mankind for thousands of years.

Indulging in fear and allowing oneself to spiral into panic is part of what will lower your immune system. We must be vigilant to not allow ourselves to indulge our fear.

Do not let yourself be controlled by whatever media wants you to be afraid of this season.
__________________

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Laughter is the best medicine... unless you have diarrhea!

tortminder is offline  
Old 03-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
Baldwin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 175
Thumbs up

Do not let yourself be controlled by whatever media wants you to be afraid of this season
Baldwin is offline  
Old 03-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
OkieAnon
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 22,701
they say wash your hands for 20 seconds, so if you go to SDC just go ride that new water ride you'll probably get soaked for more than 20 seconds from the looks of it.
OkieAnon is offline  
Old 03-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
soxster
Super Ultra Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
Do not let yourself be controlled by whatever media wants you to be afraid of this season
Yeah totally ignoring everything, will make everything go away, if that makes one feel better. Ok. Maybe some of that questionable solution being hawked on another thread on here is great information. A good balance is required.
soxster is offline  
Old 03-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member
 
bransoncutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Branson, MO
Posts: 12,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxster View Post
Yeah totally ignoring everything, will make everything go away, if that makes one feel better. Ok. Maybe some of that questionable solution being hawked on another thread on here is great information. A good balance is required.
No one is saying to ignore everything. But the media is hyping things beyond reason.
bransoncutie is offline  
Old 03-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
soxster
Super Ultra Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,071
Sure glad all those states that have declared a state of emergency in their states of not going overboard......maybe. How about those 5 members of congress that are self-quarantine, should they go about their business.....maybe. My guess, is their is not enough information out there to see where this is going. It is affecting the economy, maybe they should ignore that too.....maybe. Again, there needs to be a balance. Getting mixed messages from the top. The president says it is Going to go away, yet Dr Vouci from the CDC ...... today....... says the worst is yet to come. What to believe.....what to believe......
soxster is offline  
Old 03-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
otterchaos
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 62
I think it will be ok. Maybe a little low during Spring Break, but probably back up by summer. The people that hate crowds will stay home, like they usually do, and the people who like to go places will continue to go places.
otterchaos is offline  
Old 03-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator
 
tortminder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: State of confusion
Posts: 2,337
Cool Mizzou cancels "in person" classes

A total of 9,351 laboratory-positive3 influenza cases (5,197influenza A, 4,095influenza B, and 59 untyped)were reported during Week9, (Feb 23-Feb 29, 2020) in Missouri.

A season-to-date total of 51influenza-associated deaths have been reported in Missouri as of that date, yet life went on as usual including classes, church, athletic contests, etc.

There are shortages of cleaning agents and toilet paper based on fear and little else.

Prudent actions to insure your own health make sense. Knee-jerk reaction to the media "Chicken Little" hysteria makes no sense.

__________________

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Laughter is the best medicine... unless you have diarrhea!

tortminder is offline  
Old 03-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #10
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,074
Ok, so I have been working on a 90 day contract since January, on the extreme Left coast, San Francisco Bay area at large, and Santa Clara county specifically, in the heart of Silicon Valley, at what is now Ground Zero for this Wuhan flu, in California. I can tell you it is "real" out here, but exactly "How Real" is difficult to determine.

As of early this morning, there were 45 active confirmed positive cases in this one county...since then 3 more have tested positive at the San Jose airport, those 3 being TSA workers. Now they, and every airport worker they have been around for the last several days, are being forcibly quarantined at their homes.

Google, Facebook, Apple have all shut down, and all employees except security are being told to stay at home, and do not travel out of, or back into, the county, if they leave.

Stanford University has closed. Numerous other colleges, high schools, and now some grade schools are closed.

The County has now banned ALL sporting events to the public, and ANY public gathering of 1000 or more people. They are reportedly, soon to lower that number to possibly 500, or maybe even 100, the "word" on the street is.

Is this proper reaction, or too little, or too much? I have not been able to determine that. And neither has anyone else. The Walmarts, Targets, Costco's, etc, have been completely out of any/all sanitizers and disinfectants for almost 2 weeks, toilet paper and bottled water shelves are completely empty. But, not without merit, as the County is now telling everyone to "stock up" on needed supplies, ie water, canned/boxed foodstuffs, medicines, both OTC and prescription, etc. So people are doing as the "officials" are instructing them...problem is too many people, not enough supplies in the chain, from producer to retailer.

I also, after this stint, will be, and have been, working on setting up/displaying at a large Exposition in Las Vegas, that I have been involved in for several years, to take place in May. We have seen reservations cancelled daily, and at present time, have only approximately 25% of the normal business's signed up for this trade show...any more cancellations, and I fully expect the PTB of the event will just simply cancel...unless Vegas decides to shut down large conventions, either on their own, or directed to by their local health department.

So, I can personally attest to the fact that, if not "real", the county and various city officials ARE making it very real, to everybody who either lives and/or works inside Santa Clara county. Again, too much-too soon, too little-too late, remains to be seen. But if you are living in an area hard hit, it is rather an eerie scenario to have no traffic on the normally bumper to bumper congested freeways, restaurants empty, and people who waited too long for their perceived needed supplies, desperately roaming the stores looking for SOMETHING they can possibly use, but not finding anything.
leftsaidted is offline  
Old 03-11-2020, 05:57 PM   #11
soxster
Super Ultra Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftsaidted View Post
Ok, so I have been working on a 90 day contract since January, on the extreme Left coast, San Francisco Bay area at large, and Santa Clara county specifically, in the heart of Silicon Valley, at what is now Ground Zero for this Wuhan flu, in California. I can tell you it is "real" out here, but exactly "How Real" is difficult to determine.

As of early this morning, there were 45 active confirmed positive cases in this one county...since then 3 more have tested positive at the San Jose airport, those 3 being TSA workers. Now they, and every airport worker they have been around for the last several days, are being forcibly quarantined at their homes.

Google, Facebook, Apple have all shut down, and all employees except security are being told to stay at home, and do not travel out of, or back into, the county, if they leave.

Stanford University has closed. Numerous other colleges, high schools, and now some grade schools are closed.

The County has now banned ALL sporting events to the public, and ANY public gathering of 1000 or more people. They are reportedly, soon to lower that number to possibly 500, or maybe even 100, the "word" on the street is.

Is this proper reaction, or too little, or too much? I have not been able to determine that. And neither has anyone else. The Walmarts, Targets, Costco's, etc, have been completely out of any/all sanitizers and disinfectants for almost 2 weeks, toilet paper and bottled water shelves are completely empty. But, not without merit, as the County is now telling everyone to "stock up" on needed supplies, ie water, canned/boxed foodstuffs, medicines, both OTC and prescription, etc. So people are doing as the "officials" are instructing them...problem is too many people, not enough supplies in the chain, from producer to retailer.

I also, after this stint, will be, and have been, working on setting up/displaying at a large Exposition in Las Vegas, that I have been involved in for several years, to take place in May. We have seen reservations cancelled daily, and at present time, have only approximately 25% of the normal business's signed up for this trade show...any more cancellations, and I fully expect the PTB of the event will just simply cancel...unless Vegas decides to shut down large conventions, either on their own, or directed to by their local health department.

So, I can personally attest to the fact that, if not "real", the county and various city officials ARE making it very real, to everybody who either lives and/or works inside Santa Clara county. Again, too much-too soon, too little-too late, remains to be seen. But if you are living in an area hard hit, it is rather an eerie scenario to have no traffic on the normally bumper to bumper congested freeways, restaurants empty, and people who waited too long for their perceived needed supplies, desperately roaming the stores looking for SOMETHING they can possibly use, but not finding anything.
That was somewhat sobering account. I guess for a lot of people, if it is not effecting you, it can not be real. As you say, time will tell.
soxster is offline  
Old 03-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #12
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the "Ridge" outside the Lou
Posts: 10,992
Interesting that I just read a post on a facebook group about Branson that says the opposite. Not exactly sure the connection, but someone said his "clients" are many businesses in Branson, and they are expecting an increase for Spring Break, and Summer because people are cancelling cross country, and international travel plans and staying diving distance from home instead.
__________________
Voted Branson's Best Trout Fisherman
rjw1991A1 is offline  
Old 03-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #13
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member
 
bransoncutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Branson, MO
Posts: 12,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Interesting that I just read a post on a facebook group about Branson that says the opposite. Not exactly sure the connection, but someone said his "clients" are many businesses in Branson, and they are expecting an increase for Spring Break, and Summer because people are cancelling cross country, and international travel plans and staying diving distance from home instead.
I had phone calls coming in today from folk who said they were “scrambling to change spring break plans in light of what’s going on”. So yeah, some people are certainly thinking BRANSON instead of other options they had planned. But I’m sure there will also be cases of the opposite. It remains to be seen what this does to the numbers.
bransoncutie is offline  
Old 03-12-2020, 05:52 AM   #14
craftemp
Ultra Member
 
craftemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortminder View Post
What you focus on expands.

If you indulge the fear in your life, it will only grow and consume you.

Fear is itself a virus that has plagued mankind for thousands of years.

Indulging in fear and allowing oneself to spiral into panic is part of what will lower your immune system. We must be vigilant to not allow ourselves to indulge our fear.

Do not let yourself be controlled by whatever media wants you to be afraid of this season.
Great advice. I am coming to Branson from NJ in October. Hopefully, the virus will just be a memory by thbe, but Lord willing, I WILL be there
__________________
Judy
craftemp is offline  
Old 03-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #15
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,074
Well, I guess the "word on the street" was accurate after all, as this morning the Governor has stopped all public gatherings of any type, of 250 or more people. Also SJ airport now trying to trace all passengers who came into contact with the 3 TSA agents, as health officials fear they too now may be infected. An impossible undertaking, IMO.
leftsaidted is offline  


 

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confirmed! Flu Vaccine INCREASES Risk of Serious Pandemic Flu Illness Zach7777 Just for Chit Chat 14 09-18-2012 10:36 PM
When will your area Health Dept begin giving Swine Flu & Reg Flu shots? Cheesecake Just for Chit Chat 12 09-30-2009 09:56 AM
FLU Season? NO, It's SWINE Flu!!! Blaze2 Just for Chit Chat 24 09-18-2009 07:35 AM
Silence In Syria, Panic In Iran ????? Cheesecake Just for Chit Chat 7 09-28-2007 01:37 PM
Crowds Panic As Flooding Hits Ireland Coach Man Just for Chit Chat 1 04-17-2006 10:45 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 PM.


--