1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Attractions

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 06:36 AM   #1
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Arrow Do The Ducks Have a Future?

I think they could have..
The NTSB released their findings yesterday as covered in this KY3 story.
https://www.ky3.com/content/news/NTS...570023101.html
I won't rehash the lengthy story, suffice to say the blame fell on the Coast Guard and Ripleys for reasons we have heard before.
Can they ever open again? I think it is doable, but is it worth it to the owners?? Personally, I hope so. A refreshed Duck tour would be a great addition to Branson, and properly done I don't think their past would not be a huge obstacle.
As they say, time will tell.

"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able to Tell the Difference."
Old 04-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

I see, DD, that you and I are on the same wavelength this morning. I started a thread about this in Chit Chat. And I have just deleted mine.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitcreek View Post
I see, DD, that you and I are on the same wavelength this morning. I started a thread about this in Chit Chat. And I have just deleted mine.
What's that they say about great minds??

"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able to Tell the Difference."
Old 04-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #4
justgohogs

JMHO, but I think that, if they do have a future, it won't be in Branson. At least not for anytime soon enough for them to be profitable.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
ggh
Super User

I cannot imagine them reopening in Branson and being successful after all that's happened.

Everyone knows someone who... so there is NO WAY my grandkids will ever get on one of those boats again, never.

It might have been different if the research had shown the weather was the problem, but to learn they had been told and they failed to do upgrades and follow the recommendations, - nope, not risking it.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member

Of course it can! What's the difference between Branson and Hot Springs, Ark? In 1999, a Duck boat sank in Lake Hamilton, killing 13 people. And the investigation by the Coadt Guard determined that the boats design was the contributing factor in why it sank, and why so many people drowned, exactly as Branson's Duck boat tragedy. But that tour operation is STILL running the Ducks, still cruising the town before splashing into Lake Hamilton. There us absolutely no reason someone cant re-open the Ducks in Branson. All they must do is secure insurance, either a commercial insurance company, join an insurance consortium of similar business's, or be self insured, jumping through each of their insurance choices hoops, possibly one of the olive branches they would need to offer both insurance and Coast Guard officials would be modifying the Ducks to CG recommendations.. And also have sufficient capital to start and run the business. I'm hoping it does reopen. It was a staple in Branson for many years, and should be again. Minimize the risks, maximize the insurance, fund it all, and let 'er rip! After all, people are killed
yearly on roller coasters, ferris wheels, and other amusement rides, but those thrill rides continue to operate successfully. No difference here. I personally cant wait to hear all those boatloads of people "quacking" with gusto each time the boat passes a car, or a pedestrian!

Last edited by leftsaidted; 04-29-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
WireRoad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftsaidted View Post
of course it can! What's the difference between branson and hot springs, ark? In 1999, a duck boat sank in lake hamilton, killing 13 people. And the investigation by the coadt guard determined that the boats design was the contributing factor in why it sank, and why so many people drowned, exactly as branson's duck boat tragedy. But that tour operation is still running the ducks, still cruising the town before splashing into lake hamilton. There us absolutely no reason someone cant re-open the ducks in branson. All they must do is secure insurance, either a commercial insurance company, join an insurance consortium of similar business's, or be self insured, jumping through each of their insurance choices hoops, possibly one of the olive branches they would need to offer both insurance and coast guard officials would be modifying the ducks to cg recommendations.. And also have sufficient capital to start and run the business. I'm hoping it does reopen. It was a staple in branson for many years, and should be again. Minimize the risks, maximize the insurance, fund it all, and let 'er rip! After all, people are killed
yearly on roller coasters, ferris wheels, and other amusement rides, but those thrill rides continue to operate successfully. No difference here. I personally cant wait to hear all those boatloads of people "quacking" with gusto each time the boat passes a car, or a pedestrian!
it.will.never.happen.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:43 AM   #8
ggh
Super User

The difference is exactly as you say

It's happened, where a large number of people have died - TWICE.

Are people stupid enough to get on them again??

I pray not.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #9
OkieAnon

last time we rode was 15 or so years ago and I decided then I would never get back on one, the accidents in Hot Springs and back east only made my feelings stronger about it.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member

The Ducks CAN BE modified,as per Coast Guard specifications, to make them safe and not be able to sink...its NOT that difficult for the Branson ones to be modified. But as with any business, does cost vs profit justify the work? I would say most definitely.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:15 AM   #11
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member

Case in point, the Hit Springs business modified their Duck boats, to improve safety...and i
their National Park Duck Tours has continues to remain the number one tourist attraction in Hot Springs! Also, remember that entering the water in defiance of that serious storm with extremely high wind is really what caused the boat to sink...and that was HUMAN error. How do you fix THAT? Education and training. Same type of training that is supposed to prevent commercial pilots from flying into certain types of weather. It's not that difficult, and the successful Hot Springs business model demonstrates that to be fact.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #12
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Was not suggestions made by the last tragedy not followed after other sinkings in other states? I suppose anything is insurable for a price. Question, can a business afford the price especially after a disaster payout. Then you have the public perception of safety on these things. I would say a big hurdle to jump.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #13
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Are people stupid enough to get on them again??
Absoultely! And thank you for your opinion of me! I would be first in line to get on the Ducks again.
Mistakes were made, lessons learned.
But unfortunately there are too many people who do have a diminished enough thought capacity to not get beyond one incident during many years of operation inBranson!
Never fly in an aeroplane because there have been many, many more deaths involving air travel. Never travel by automobile because there have been many many more deaths in vehicular accidents. Never ride a a boat of any kind because they are responsible for so many deaths. Motorcycles, and atvs, don't even get near o ne. For the death they cause is certain to jump right to you!
By theway, more people have been killed in amusement parks, Sporting events, and theater fires than all the duck incidents combined.
So bubble wrap yourself in the corner, hire a food taster to make sure you don 't get food poisoning (over 100 US deaths last year alone), and enjoy your life.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #14
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Talking

...and be sure to keep yourself quarantined, wear your face mask or bandana and rubber gloves while bathing in sanitizer and wrap yourself in enough toilet paper to stay 6 feet apart!

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Laughter is the best medicine... unless you have diarrhea!

Old 04-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #15
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortminder View Post
...and be sure to keep yourself quarantined, wear your face mask or bandana and rubber gloves while bathing in sanitizer and wrap yourself in enough toilet paper to stay 6 feet apart!

YEP!!! ^^^^ what he just said..!!

May as well make a great big bowl of punch and start serving!!

Closed Thread