1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Question Fashion...........

We all have enjoyed commenting on ''what we used to wear''..........and, I was reminded of this when I got an email from a gal, who is EVEN OLDER than me............her little email group has little future left to worry about, so they 'REMEMBER'.

I was amused at their thinking: If you are 80 and you maybe have 5 to 10 years left, (if yer lucky)....not much to worry about..when it comes to politics and fashions.....................but when you think, they have 80 years to remember....it really becomes an overwhelming thought..............80 YEARS. They were remembering what they wore during WWII.

I remember wishing I had a Poodle Skirt..........but I was a tad young for that...my Girlfriend's Sisters had poodle skirts cause they were older....oh, by about 3 years.............but that was an eternity when you were a teenager. At 13 I thought I was ''ancient''.

I wanted saddle shoes with socks barely showing, and a contour belt, and my sweater tucked into the full full skirt with petticoats making it stick way out. I wanted a scarf/kerchief, tied around my neck........and I wanted to wear lipstick...........but, I had to wait til I was at least 15. We had RULES.

So..............I looked like a little girl til I was 15....then, all hell broke loose and I could wear ''natural'' lipstick, and flats with petti/socks, and ............a ''slim'' skirt with a fully fashioned sweater that was/looked like cashmere. I also was old enough to starch my 7 petticoats so that I didn't fit in the front seat of my Dad's car,....the skirt popped up and covered the side glass, side view mirror, and part of the windshield on the passenger side..........Oh I hated to press them down under the dash, cause that took out some of their ''oomph'' after I got out of the car.

Then came the 60s and, the styles ''SHIFT'D''..............

And as young Mothers, we had no more fluffy petticoats and our skirts were much shorter, and with the loose shift lines, ...our 22 inch waistlines were hidden.

My Grandmother's wore flowered dresses and aprons, and tie shoes with square 2 inch heels, and nylon stockings, when they were my age...........they were mature and looked mature...now I wear jeans, man shirts, leather blazers, birkenstocks, and 10 bracelets and long swinging earrings.......long acrylic nails with rings on at least 6 fingers........ankle bracelets and red toenails,,,,,,,,,,done by a Vietnamese girl.

I think my Grandmother's would call me a ''floozie''...............

Do you have any thoughts on FASHION...any era?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Gabriella
Super Ultra Member

OMG!!!! I had that EXACT dress!!! It was one of my faves.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella View Post
OMG!!!! I had that EXACT dress!!! It was one of my faves.
Cheesecake, who are you trying to kid?
You had a poodle skirt, just like I did, 'cause we're the same age!

A few years ago Dh & I, along with some other friends,
sang at our Alma Mater 50's Reunion. We all dressed
as we did in the 50's. SO, I nonw have another poodle skirt,
blouse, scarf for my neck, plus a pr of saddle oxfords I've worn
that one time. Not to forget a super long blonde pony tail!
DH wore his jeans rolled up () white sox with black shoes,
(yep, that' show it was done) & a pkg of cigarettes rolled up in his
PINK T-shirt sleeve!

And YES, I wore thos 60's dresses also!
Whatever would I have done, changing a diaper with
huge petticoats under my poodle skirt!
.....AND we wore more than one petticoat!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
shis1
Str8fn

Don't know about you guys, but I always had a problem with the big petticoats! That binding around the bottom always got caught on something and would rip out/off or whatever! Anyone else have the problem?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
Don't know about you guys, but I always had a problem with the big petticoats! That binding around the bottom always got caught on something and would rip out/off or whatever! Anyone else have the problem?
My Mother was a Professional Seamtress, whatever got torn
or ripped or hem out, was repaired before I had time to notice!
I miss her sewing, for we sold all the machines a few years ago.
Rarely does hse ever ask about them now, we just tell her they're
in storage. Then she goes to another subject, maybe telling us
the same story 6 times within a 15 minute time frame!
So sad to get old and sick! I've grieved so much over how
she is now, that I dont think I can grieve more she she passes,
but I know this isn't true.
OK, that's off topic, back to fashion now!

I wear clothes that are a lot more comfortable now, don't ya'll?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

I remember white bucks and as I recall, white powder for them? Mom made gathered skirts from border prints. Tafeta dresses for special occasions. Can cans too (in older years returned to them for square dancing!). Later, Ben Casey and Dr. Kildare blouses.Fake pony tails for those of us who always had gum in their hair so mom kept it cut in a "boybob". Bobby pins for pin curling. Later - huge rollers for straight hair. Went from folded down bobby socks to knee socks.
Unexpected fun yesterday - We went to Ryan's Buffet for lunch. I was at the salad bar and moved out of the way for a guy and realized he looked familiar. Went away to find DH to see if he could remember who he was but then I remembered. My high school "Business I" teacher! Went to him to ask and sure enough. Found myself calling him Mr. Mackey - couldn't use his first name. So off and on through the meal he would stop at our table with another memory. He doesn't live in the area anymore but was with relatives. And we hardly ever go to Ryan's but I seemed to want to go there yesterday - so I appreciate it as a gift from God. And I was able to tell Mr. Mackey, after all these years, how much I enjoyed his class.

Last edited by preacherman; 10-15-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
shis1
Str8fn

Thanks, Preacherman, for mentioning 'can-cans'! I knew there was another name we called the petticoats, but try as hard as I could, I couldn't come up with it. But when I read your thread, the light bulb came on again! I hate it when the word's on the 'tip of the tongue' but can't come up with it! And the Ben Casey shirts were 'all the go' at our high school! Ah, the memories we bring to life here! Come on, you 'male' members here. What are some of your 'fashion' memories? I'm sure you have them too!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Nope Blaze I never had a poodle skirt.

But, what I discovered by writing my girlfriends in MN when I was in Jr High.......what they were wearing at the time had already been popular in CA..........we were ahead of the times. So...I was too young for the poodle skirt...my girlfriends sisters had them...by the time I was ''wearing fads''...it was blaze', and the full circle skirts were made of cordroy and we wore the hip pleated wool plaids made by a famous wool shirt co...Pendleton........and we wore Lanz spaghetti strap waffle pique dresses...........(that was expensive dressing.) But...I sewed some pretty good facsimiles. (I used to sew amazing items, from 3 basic patterns...I wish I had the inclination to take this up again....I could make a living at it....I'm just too lazy)/

When I moved to MO in 1970, the women in Dent Co were wearing clothes that resembled the late 50s....I was way out of it..and they let me know by staring. I was so far into the future for them...but I never ever let it cramp my style...........

They were still in shift dresses with ankle socks............and I had ankle length coats, and man tailored pant suits............amazing the differences back then when each year the style changed,......from heels on shoes to the length of skirts...........I'm so happy that there are no ''trends'' now that make us buy or remodel our wardrobe each year.

*sidebar:

When I visit my girlfriends in CA who used to be the ''dressers'' at the country club,.........I'm sad that they don't dress up at all anymore...not even to go out to dinner........everything is so casual, there is no place where a Budweiser TShirt isnt sheik. Their Farmer Girlfriend from Missouri, (who they make fun of) out dresses them, in style and quality of duds, every time.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
Darbecca
Ultra Member

I was going to mention the Ben Casey blouses, and y'all beat me to it. Does anyone remember the Liz Taylor blouses, ruffles all down the front and on the sleeves? Then there was a hybrid - either called Liz Casey or Ben Taylor that had the ruffles down the side where the Ben Casey blouses had the buttons. And I remember the petticoats. Our local Famous had to hang them from the ceiling. I remember long tables with stools and mirrors and hats on little racks and the ladies would sit in front of a mirror and try on the hats.

When I was in high school it was knee boots and go-go boots and textured stockings of all kinds to go with our mini-skirts. And John Lennon hats and pale lipstick and lots of eye-liner and long straight hair (even had my Mom iron my hair a time or two...) Poor boy shirts - I think that's what they were called - they were ribbed. Navy pea coats. Culottes. There were shoulder purses that were reddish and we all had our initials in gold letters on them. I think clothes were just plain fun during the 60's.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
shis1
Str8fn

Oh No! Don't get started on purses!! The ONE I remember was a really soft black vinyl. Had a circular bamboo handle and the purse was attached to the handle thru 'rings' so that it had a perfect circle when open! Not a very good description, but I can see it in my mind! THen I went thru an era of purses that were 'handmade' vinyl/naugahyde. I was so hooked on these bags, and they were hard to find. One Christmas my Mom went to a neighboring town, walked up and down the town square and asked people if they knew the lady in that town that made the bags! And then the hand-tooled leather bags! My first one of those came from --- Branson! We bought it at the Dickens Gift Shop on 76. And at the time we bought it, that shop was out in the rural part of 76 --- seemed like it was a long way to it as there was not much retail around it.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Oh bags...lol.
When I was about 17 there was a faux leather :wink: ''bucket bag'', and it folded over (two flaps at the top)...geese EVERY girl in school was carrying one, and we were wearing flats, and had a pair for every color outfit and a bag to match.
These were not expensive ........ you know I think those flats cost $5.99 a pr.............of course minimum wage was $1.00.

I remember buying my first LONG coat when I turned 16...brown tweed with a brown velvet collar............I put it on layaway and paid 50 cents a week on it....I thought I'd never get it paid off.

I really didnt need a coat cause I wore a Letter Jacket from one boyfriend or another...........great jackets

My daughter wore frayed out levis, with bell bottoms to high school, and they dragged on the floor behind her platform sole brown boots that you couldnt even see under the jeans. She wore the jeans hip hugger with a brown wide leather belt with holes in it....and the end hung down past her pockets...............I hated mornings..she changed clothes 6 times and whined and moaned all the while, and went to school looking a bit tacky....TACKY was in I think. hehehehehe..............
Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

Cheesecake I'll loan you my poodle skirt so you'll know how
it feels to be "IN" in the 50's of Rock 'N Roll! I'm thinkin' you
were "IN" in your own way, poodle skirt or not!
I'm savin' it for who knows we may be invited to a Halloween Party!

OH, the styles through the decades, I've had 'em all!
Remember the long satin skirt with a sequined sleeveless sweater?
I had one of those, wore it to a Christmas Party, very sharp outfit!
.....loaned it to my Cousin, a singer, who wore it when she sang a
Tammy Wynette song!

Did any of you have a wooden handbag? The kind you make yourself?
i made one for me, Mother & my Daughter. Each store on them was
different & from our hometown. We still have them.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
linron
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
Oh bags...lol.

I really didnt need a coat cause I wore a Letter Jacket from one boyfriend or another...........great jackets

OMG Cheesecake, you made me remember wearing the "Letter" Jacket! (AND his letter sweater!) I wore my ex-husbands because we went together in high school and he was a jock. (too bad he ended up being a jerk as well as a jock, but that's another subject)
And speaking of going together, in high school we called it "going steady" and we wore our guys class ring around our neck on a chain OR on our finger with the big guy's ring wrapped in agora yarn (color changed each day to match our outfits) to make the ring fit our fingers.

The poodle skirts were before my time (I graduated in 1966) and pony tails were out for me, but we had "ratted"/"teased" hair (what a gross expression when you think now, but then it was "cool")...these BIG Bouffant hairdos that required jumbo rollers and tons of time and hair spray to "back-comb tease" into perfection.

And speaking of Jumbo rollers, remember when it was not only acceptable to go to town shopping on a Saturday afternoon with those big rollers in your hair, it was "COOL", like a sign that you had plans to go out that night and you were preparing. Some girls wrapped a scarf around the rollers, others just let the rollers do their own statement!

Then I remember we'd go out at night wearing those skin tight stretch pants that had the stirrups that went under the foot to hold them down. Sometimes those tight stretch pants would be worn with knee high boots, other times not but were often matched up with our tight angora sweaters to match the angora of our rings! (or visa-versa)

And the guys would "peg" their pants to make them skin tight. In school (where we weren't allowed to wear pants) us girls would roll our skirts up at the waist (and make sure they were unrolled by the time we went home so our parents didn't see how short we wore them. But everyday either some guy got sent to the office for pants "pegged" too tight or some girl for having her skirt too short.

Then later as Cheesecake says, the "twiggy" /"hippy" fashion came into being (where if you were a size 16 you were considered FAT) and the "bell bottom" /"hip-hugger" pant suits came along (in those gaudy 60's prints) and our stretch pants were a thing of the past.

And then later remember those long, loose flowing, culotte, one piece hostess type pajama-gowns that were considered ideal outfit for entertaining. And polyester, everything was polyester.

Oh boy, what a fun and funny walk down memory lane.

Last edited by linron; 10-16-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 PM   #14
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Hehehe..yeah I remember what those boys were wearing in 58-59...those LEVIS that were stiff from not being washed, no belt...waist band rolled in half, and one hem rolled up for that teeny teeny cuff. Black shoes with an extended sole, and the shoe strings were replaced by a snap/hinged tongue/closer.
Then the CLOROX'D White T Shirt under a short sleeved ''open'' sport shirt....but secretly hidden in the rolled sleeve of the white t-shirt was a pack of cigarettes and a book of matches.

Their Duck Tail was slick and stiff, and their ever ready handy dandy comb, would never have made it through that Dixie Peach hairdressing.

(my fellas wore crew cuts tho............I wasn't allowed to date a greaser...or pachoooooooooko)..........my father wasn't politically correct.

I dated the first hubby the last year of high school with the ring on the chain...............I only did this to insure that I had a date for the prom and the ball and all graduation parties...........that was a ''sure thing'' .... and he was like a panting puppy dog anyway...........he thought he had died and gone to heaven, cause I was his girl..............roflol.

Then I married him.........and I wont say it was wrong, cause, I have the best 3 kids...........

Did anyone ever wear a white fir collar on their sweater?

I was already married and a mother, when those SHORT SKIRTS came into style...........but I had the legs and the brave heart........I wore em short...including short shorts in shiny colors.............hehehehe.

I was a real cute chick.........but just as conniving as I am now.

Last edited by Cheesecake; 10-16-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #15
shis1
Str8fn

Don't remember ever having a white fur collar on a sweater. My collars were 'beaded' or crocheted. I think I even had some Battenburg lace ones. And now I see those collars laying around in antique shops demanding high $$. And to think, I just threw them away! And talking about sweaters, did anyone else turn their cardigans around and wear them backwards? In other words, button them in the back? That was a big fad in our school for a while. 2 'looks' from one garment!

Last edited by shis1; 10-17-2007 at 01:24 AM.

Closed Thread