1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Local Branson / Tri-Lakes Area Issues

Old 09-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Lightbulb ‘Yakov Towers’ could replace theater

The site of a landmark Branson theater could become a new home for some Branson residents.

A planned development, dubbed “Yakov Towers,” looks to replace the 35,000-square-foot Yakov Smirnoff theater with a hotel, townhomes and various independent and assisted living units, according to a staff report from the city of Branson.

“The modifications being proposed reflect the property owner’s new vision, Yakov Towers,” the staff report reads.

The request to amend the planned development is on the agenda for Tuesday’s Branson Planning Commission.

With the new medical center going up right across the street this project makes sense from a financial standpoint for Yakov. Maybe this one will happen.

Tri-Lakes News Article

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Laughter is the best medicine... unless you have diarrhea!

tortminder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

One thing I noticed in the article was that Joel Hornickel, the director of planning and development for the city of Branson, said the city has a goal of getting all entertainment venues located on 76.

Guess that means they would like to have Pierce Arrow, Shoji, Welk, the Mansion, and other theaters move to 76.
biscuitcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitcreek View Post
One thing I noticed in the article was that Joel Hornickel, the director of planning and development for the city of Branson, said the city has a goal of getting all entertainment venues located on 76.

Guess that means they would like to have Pierce Arrow, Shoji, Welk, the Mansion, and other theaters move to 76.
If that happens some road work will be in order, and don't forget to save space for the businesses that follow along.

A sign on the lawn at a drug rehab center said:
'Keep off the Grass.'

DalmatianDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalmatianDad View Post
If that happens some road work will be in order, and don't forget to save space for the businesses that follow along.
Yes, I am thinking about the multi-lane highway that goes through Pigeon Forge...
Old 09-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortminder View Post
The site of a landmark Branson theater could become a new home for some Branson residents.

A planned development, dubbed “Yakov Towers,” looks to replace the 35,000-square-foot Yakov Smirnoff theater with a hotel, townhomes and various independent and assisted living units, according to a staff report from the city of Branson.

“The modifications being proposed reflect the property owner’s new vision, Yakov Towers,” the staff report reads.

The request to amend the planned development is on the agenda for Tuesday’s Branson Planning Commission.

With the new medical center going up right across the street this project makes sense from a financial standpoint for Yakov. Maybe this one will happen.

Tri-Lakes News Article
This sounds a lot like the Margaritaville Jimmy Buffet Retirement Communities. I guess Baby Boomers will continue to change the world.
Suselit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

They gonna make IMAX move? ?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Old 09-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #8
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJoe View Post
They gonna make IMAX move? ?
Funny, but seriously, Vegas Entertainment is not all on that one main strip. Plus Downtown Branson is a viable active area.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
mikee

Thumbs down Joel Hornickel and 76

Yes, smart comment from Joel. In addition to the theaters mentioned, also Baldknobbers and Hamner Theaters. May be a good time for him to consider a job change out of the area. I don't live in Branson and do not know Joel, but his comment about moving all theaters to 76 shows poor judgement on his part.
mikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #10
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitcreek View Post

Yeah?/...
I dont see that happening, I can think of at least 10-12 operating theatres, NOT on the strip, , at least 1/2 are very large, Nice, "newer" buildings, and are not going to be left behind and empty.

If the city is indeed going to do this, They should have started by buying The Mansion and renovating it, instead of building the ALL new visitor's center and office building on Gretna, OR if not that building, one of the other many vacant buildings on main streets in town..

The current admin for sure should be questioned about how they are (or are not) supporting the shows in town..
Old 09-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #11
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Right after the total completion of the Spirit 76 project, and the gondola is running!
Old 09-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
I don't think they have forgotten; I think they are being realistic, studying/recognizing tourist desires, and diversifying to meet those needs.

There's still plenty of shows to go around, even with all the vacant theaters.

Showgoers still have shows. Is shows all you do?
I could not agree with you more!!! I know for a fact that they haven't forgotten the shows. But in order for Branson to survive in this day and age, we have to diversify. I seem to recall a great deal of discussion about that very thing on this site in the past. Yes, there needs to be some diversification, not just with types of shows here but also things to offer beyond just shows. The younger families aren't nearly as keen on shows as their parents and grandparents. Some may do one show and then look for things which are more active and appeal more to their kids. In order to keep Branson a viable vacation spot, we need to be able to offer things which will entice families to come check things out and drop some of their disposable cash here and not in other vacation/tourism areas of the country.
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:08 AM   #13
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Lightbulb Update on Yakov Towers

“The requested additions from the applicant are to now include residential housing, short-term rentals, continuing-care retirement community facilities, personal-service establishments, full-service hotel facilities, eating establishments, conference and meeting centers, retail sales operations, professional and general offices and indoor recreational entertainment,” Hornickel said. “I will say, out of this list, it’s a very common list for properties zoned commercial. There’s nothing on this list that staff feels is out of the ordinary in a commercial-zoned property.”

The planning commission voted to recommend the proposed changes.

SOURCE: http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_...9bcf1daff.html

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Old 09-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #14
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

And more on the issue of the city wanting the entertainment venues on 76, free article in Branson Tri-Lakes News:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_...d0d5d9b76.html
Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM   #15
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Lightbulb Yakov Towers project moves forward

"When asked by an audience member if the theater constructed in 1992 would be torn down for the new development, the Russian-born comedian responded the way he knows best, with humor.

“Not while a show is going on,” Smirnoff said. “You don’t know how long these kind of things take but the city has been very supportive of us and we’ll come back for next season, 2019, and see where things are, but it’s a good start.”

For the record, the plan is to raze the current theater."
SOURCE:Branson TriLakes News article

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond