1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Big Fish Story New State Record!

A big fish story for a Rockaway Beach resident.
http://fox2now.com/2015/05/26/fisher...s-in-missouri/
Old 05-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

How old would a fish of that size/breed be?

Would the meat be salvaged/edible before having it mounted ?

Orrrrrr.... when you catch a trophy you don't even consider eating it....?

Just wondering....

Last edited by Crazy4Branson; 05-27-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

They are said to live to around 30 years. The average length is between 24 and 36 inches with a weight of 10 to 30 pounds. So this guy was probably getting near the end. They are not native to inland lakes, but we're actually salt water fish that adapt to fresh water. They are stocked in fresh water lakes around the country. Norfolk, Bull Shoals, and Beaver are three of the best known striper fisheries in the Midwest.
When getting a fish mounted the meat is usually not saved. It might possibly be recovered by the taxidermist, but it would be difficult, and time consuming so they usually don't do it.
I personally don't like the mounting route if the fish has not expired during, or soon after being caught. But in this case, like the State record Brown Trout caught a few years ago on Taneycomo, the fish may have been so stressed as to not being able to recover.
If I want a fish mounted, I would preferr to take lots of pictures, and measurements of length, and girth. With this information a good taxidermist can make a replica mount amazingly accurate to the fish you caught. After photos, and measurements a healthy fish can be released to give someone else the opportunity to catch a "trophy".
As aside, I do keep trout for the table, but only those in the 12 to 15 inch range. Anything larger I photograph and release. Especially any trophies over 20". To remember those great fish from Taneycomo I either carefully transport them to Lilley's Landing to be photographed before releasing, or just show them the pictures I take, and measurements. They give you a pin, and certificate from Trout Unlimited for a trophies catch and release. Got a few of the pins on my hat.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

Thanks for the info rjw..... I did wonder why the guy didn't take a few pix then release the fish back into the water....
Old 05-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
Kalt
The Cold One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Branson View Post
Thanks for the info rjw..... I did wonder why the guy didn't take a few pix then release the fish back into the water....
It has to be weighed and measured by the Missouri Department of Conservation for it to qualify in the record books - this requires transporting it to them.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalt View Post
It has to be weighed and measured by the Missouri Department of Conservation for it to qualify in the record books - this requires transporting it to them.
Or if you can get the fish, and a Conservation Agent from the MDC together at a willing location with a scale certified by the Missouri Department of Agriculture,Weights and Measures Division they official weight can be determined then. But in that part of the state it's a lot easier just to take it to SOTH Hatchery.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:18 AM   #7
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

I've never run into that problem. When I went fishing in Minnesota, I usually released fishes because the little fellers weren't worth cleaning and eating... I figured I would let them grow up and hopefully catch them when they were bigger. For some reason they never returned the favor. They just kept sending more little fellers my way.

Good Times in Branson
Old 05-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I've never run into that problem. When I went fishing in Minnesota, I usually released fishes because the little fellers weren't worth cleaning and eating... I figured I would let them grow up and hopefully catch them when they were bigger. For some reason they never returned the favor. They just kept sending more little fellers my way.

Kinder pends on species. A one pound Bluegill is a pretty good fish. A one pound Largemouth Bass is a little feller, and a one pound Musky is a minnow!

Closed Thread