1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
dfbitz

AVG antivirus free edition

I saw on this board some place about AVG antivirus a free edition. My Norton antivirus ran out. So does anyone have the website or what I need to do to download the AVG. It sounded like everyone was satisfied with it.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
JoLaLaLa

I think you can get it directly from the Grisoft website as well, but here is where I got mine. Same thing, just a different download server.
http://www.download.com/3000-2239_4-10761481.html
Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

http://www.grisoft.com/

I downloaded the Free ... about a week ago...it was so easy, and is working like a charm.

To get rid of Norton, I went to symantec.com and downloaded the NORTONS UNINSTALL TOOL...its fast............
My 2007 version could not be totally and effectively uninstalled by going to ''add/remove'' programs.

It downloaded in 1 minute and uninstalled NORTON CLEAN AS A WHISTLE in about ...guessing.....10 min or less.

I first downloaded AVG and saved to desktop...........(did not run)
Then I downloaded the Nortons Uninstall tool......

Then I unplugged from the internet..........so I wouldnt get a virus

Then I uninstalled Nortons by using the tool.
Then I CLICKED ON DESKTOP AVG ICON and ran/installed AVG

This was so easy, I nearly cried............I had dreaded doing it.
My laptop computer is flying without nortons, ............amazing.

Last edited by Cheesecake; 11-07-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
zalo9
Your message here, $5.

Sometimes it's hard to find the free version on the official AVG site grisoft.com. This link has the free version on the front page.

http://free.grisoft.com/
Old 11-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
dfbitz

I tried www.grisoft.com and I'd click on download. It then went to www.download.com and I clicked on download again. It was taking forever. Then a notice came up. Some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation. So what does that mean.
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

here is my fav place to find downloads... http://www.komando.com/downloads/

Now...lemme ask...
Did you disable Norton AntiVirus from that little icon by your clock?

You cannot do a clean download with Norton AutoLiveUpdate active...it has to be disabled for all downloads to be clean.....its a real snot.

Last edited by Cheesecake; 11-07-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

My 'puter guy likes AVG also. All these years spending $$ for
Norton, a horrible virus corrupted my hard drive a few weeks ago!
With Norton & AVG I thought my 'puter was safe! HA!
Thankfully the hard drive is under warranty, for a new one is being installed.
......and I was told none of that crap could get into a computer with Norton
installed! pffft!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
JoLaLaLa

yeah, the biggets problem with Norton is that it lets in the crap that it wan'ts to let in and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it. And it has so many stupid files of it's own running in the background that it bogs even the best of computers down to turtles pace. I got rid of my Norton 2 years ago and will never go back. Sad part about it is that in order to get rid of it entirely, you have to use other programs to get it off there, since it's "uninstall" feature still leaves half the norton crap on there. In fact, I am pretty sure the name of the software of Ccleaner (which stands for CRAP cleaner LOL)

As for the 'corrupted files'... They are probably just fine and as Cheesecake said, you just have to disable Norton first, because it doesn't want some other Anti-Virus software coming in and taking over it's place.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
dfbitz

I tried it again and I got the same response. The Norton icon by the clock is gone. I hope I can figure this out.
Norton always notified me when it was running out. This year it didn't. I looked it up and it expired in Sept. I was having trouble getting my emails. So I was checking things out. I contacted Symantec and they told me I should remove Norton. I did and I was able to get my emails.

Now just so I don't have a virus on here.
I hope I can get AVG antivirus on here soon.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfbitz View Post
I tried it again and I got the same response. The Norton icon by the clock is gone. I hope I can figure this out.
Norton always notified me when it was running out. This year it didn't. I looked it up and it expired in Sept. I was having trouble getting my emails. So I was checking things out. I contacted Symantec and they told me I should remove Norton. I did and I was able to get my emails.

Now just so I don't have a virus on here.
I hope I can get AVG antivirus on here soon.
So you still see Nortons or Symantec in ''add and remove programs''?

Unhook from the internet and run scan disk and defrag...and THEN RUN YOUR LAVASOFT AD AWARE....get the little ''thingys'' cleaned out.

[while unplugged from internet] Check your FIREWALL...DISABLE WHEN YOU GO TO DOWNLOAD THE SAVED FILE OF AVG. Then remember to turn it back on again...your computer should remind you.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
kbradleyar
Super Ultra Member

I have ALWAYS used Norton since 1990s when the first virus started hitting. I have used it and I am still using it ONLY because I already paid for it. I will NEVER SPEND A DIME ON NORTON AGAIN.

The AVG was tested by Consumer Reports and another magazine and both found AVG caught more viruses than Norton. Norton also takes about 18% to 25% of your CPU to run. This is 24/7 every file you open, every program you run is slowing down. AVG showed 5% to 7% CPU usage for the same operation. I will NOT install another year on any of my machines.

I was told the FREE version will add a line to the bottom of your SENT emails saying scaned by the FREE AVG. This is ONLY if a user is using Outlook or Outlook Express. If a user uses Yahoo, Myspace, etc for sending mail that won't work.

Bad News: No virus software can catch everything. At one time most of the viruses were coming in by Email. Now very few are becaues your internet service provider and Yahoo, Hotmail, etc all have virus scanners on the email before it gets to you. You still need local scanning because I still get some.

Most virus are coming to YOUR computer off Web pages. NO software can catch all the viruses because the software can only catch what it knows. I could set down and write a virus in 30 minutes and then post HA go to X page and anyone that goes to that page would be infected. When someone finds MY virus file and then sends the file to the Antivirus company and they add my virus to their list and then my virus is blocked. I have the virus software also so I write a NEW virus and post on another page. There is no way to keep it from happening.

I keep a virus software and Lavasoft's Addware 2007. It is FREE also and it can be found at LAVASOFT.DE or LAVASOFT.COM (they are in Denmark for the DE). This software will not catch a web page virus but it will detect and remove. It seems to work better than Norton for removing Addware viruses which come off webpages and cause popups and a laundry list of problems. This is now what 98% of the virus problems are.

The user goes to a page and it loads a virus. I had one customer search for "fake fireplaces" for their new home. They got a virus off the fireplace page page. It turns out the fireplace's page had been hacked. I can tell you, a lot of pages can be hacked in minutes so more and more pages are being corrupted. I have seen a lot from "Funny Vidios". You try to view a video and it says "we need to download a codex to view this video". Guess what, it's a virus most of the time because most people use standard video formats if it needed a file, it is a virus.

Last edited by kbradleyar; 11-07-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #12
kbradleyar
Super Ultra Member

Norton Antivirus Uninstall

About 1/2 to 2/3 of the time, it will UNINSTALL fine. The other times Norton leaves about 1/2 of the program on the compute so if you have problems uninstalling or if you are just concerned that all MIGHT not be gone, Go to Symantec's website and search for Antivirus Removal Tool.

I keep that one a thumbdrive because even customers upgrade from one year to the next sometimes HAVE to do the removal tool.

What is sad is Norton used to be the BEST and they are getting crappy. Like I said, I used to PREACH Norton Antivirus's glory and I am changing to AVG soon.

Last edited by kbradleyar; 11-07-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #13
kbradleyar
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze2 View Post
My 'puter guy likes AVG also. All these years spending $$ for
Norton, a horrible virus corrupted my hard drive a few weeks ago!
With Norton & AVG I thought my 'puter was safe! HA!
Thankfully the hard drive is under warranty, for a new one is being installed.
......and I was told none of that crap could get into a computer with Norton
installed! pffft!
WOW! I didn't think you could put Norton and AVG on the same computer. I was told it won't let you!

Be careful. Dell does not cover Virus damage on their warranty. I know I have had to fix several because Dell would not cover it. Your computer guy might be doing it for you but I didn't want you to get a big bill.

A customer called BestBuy's GeekSquad to fix a under warrenty computer and they even bought the extra warrenty that was BEST Buy's own that was supposed to cover everything. The guy came out and fixed the virus on the computer and then handed them a bill for $280. They had both the computer and the Best Buy warrenty and the guy said "neither covers virus damage". They were shocked and MAD.

Last edited by kbradleyar; 11-07-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
HMK
Peek A Boo!

Something else to remember. NONE of them will do their jobs if you don't keep them updated. Also, you've got to stay on top of your computer. It's not something to install and forget about. Programs are TOOLS. Think of a virus checker like a Hoe. If will keep weeds down as long as you USE it.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #15
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

I really like the non intrusive nature of AVG....it scans the whole thing during the night/morning at 2AM....and auto updates....I keep checking to see if it's keeping it's promise...so far so good.

And it seems I have fewer ''thingys'' when I run Ad Aware and then Spy Bot Search and Destroy....I wonder if AVG has some spyware catchers?

I'm using Outlook Express, and I'd like to disable that little message down by the clock, each time it scans an incoming email...that is distracting.

Now I've got the McAfee suite on the desktop, its been reliable for more than 15 months....but, I think I might just not renew it either when its UP.

Now to get rid of old downloaded AOL crap..........boy that stuff really shared files.........it moved into every file way back when we were using it on dialup when we traveled............

Closed Thread