1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 11:30 AM   #1
Jerm
Super Ultra Member

I am back from a three day/two night stay in Branson!!

On this trip I took my grandma for our annual trip to Branson. My grandma is in her 80's and she enjoys, just like the rest of us do, getting out of the house and doing something different once in a while. I enjoy it because I enjoy spending time with her and she is a lot of fun!! I will put an ( * ) next to things that I have never done before. This trip was filled with lots of new experiences. She has never been in a hot tub in her life so when I made our reservations for the Blue Bayou (*) I noticed that they had a couple of hot tubs. I told her about this and to make sure and pack proper clothes to get into the hot tub. It took me a while to explain to her why she could NOT wear white clothes when getting into hot tub, ROFL! So she packed some red colored clothes for this reason. Anytime we had some free time where we could get into the hot tub she always said she was tired or something so needless to say we DIDN'T get in the hot tub, LOL. On the way home she said that she sure wished she could have tried that hot tub out! Oh well you can't win for losing! Next time I will fool her and get one in our room that way she has no excuse not to get in it. Oh Well! For the lodging and all of the shows that I saw on this trip I used vouchers from Missouri Bargains. We arrived on Monday morning (the 2nd) and checked into the Blue Bayou. Since I was using vochers from Missouri Bargains there was no need in me telling Kelly that I was coming. I also didn't get to meet her while I was there. I was very pleased with the staff there from the gentleman that took my reservation to the lady that cleaned our room. They were very nice and considerate. The motel contains two pools, one outside the other indoors. We did not go to see the indoor pool just the outdoor one. It looked very nice. There is a sitting area on the bottom level as well as on the top level in building two that we stayed in. My grandma and I would sit underneath the second level deck in the shade and watch the people going down the strip. We took our own coffee pot, fixings for iced tea, and my grandma made a cake with dates and chocolate chips that was yummy that we could enjoy while we were there. We had enough stuff to stay for a LONG time but were only there for two nights, LOL. As for the actual room itself, Jakwi has said something to the effect that a shack to one is a palace to another and that is so true. I am a VERY picky individual. I felt what I paid for the room( $30.00 a night from Missouri Bargains) was ok but I am not sure I would have paid more to stay there. The Blue Bayou is an old motel, it is showing its age. I think a major remodel is needed. I think Kelly is doing the best she can with what she has to work with. After checking in and getting settled we went to the new Ruby Tuesday's in the Branson Mall (*) for lunch. The food there was as good as always and I am SO glad they have some of my favorite salad bar items back! YAY!!! The facility is very roomy and very nice. After lunch we went to Ride the Ducks for a tour around town. I have been on this tour many times and I really enjoy it. They not only take you on a tour of Branson but they also show you some old war vehicles which was kind of neat and they also take you on a tour of the lake. My grandma kept trying to lean over the duck and stick her hand in the water. I was afraid she was going to fall in, LOL. After our duck ride we went to Tanger Mall for some shopping. Then it was back to the room for a rest and to get ready for dinner. I told my grandma to pick where she would like to go for dinner. She wanted to go to Fall Creek Steakhouse. Rudy the roll guy was there tossing rolls and playing his guitar and singing for guests. When he tosses the rolls he REALLY tosses them, which is fun! We both enjoyed our dinner very much. We both had steak tips with peppers and onions which was very good. In one of the magazines that you find around town we found a coupon for a free onion blossom or free potato skins. We ended up with the potato skins which was yummy as well. After dinner and after we went back to our room to brush our teeth, LOL we were on our way to see one of my favorite shows in Branson, Stuck on the 70's. I was disappointed that one of my favorite female performers was sick the night we were there but the show was just as great as always. The show is a little different than last years show with some news songs included in the show. Also another noticeable difference was the fact that there are now only 3 couples and last year they had four couples. There seems to be some cast changes all of the time in this show. If you have looked at the Branson Critic's review of this show from this season and seen the pictures and you actually go and see the show you will notice there have been some cast changes since that reveiw. I thought the group that we saw was very good and talented! If you haven't seen this show go and see it! Also there was a pretty big crowd there for a Monday night. After the show we went back to the motel and sat outside in the pool area and drank a glass of iced tea and watched the people go by. The next day (Tuesday the 3rd) after "attempting" to sleep in ( my grandma loves to get up at the crackle of dawn, LOL) we went shopping at the Factory Merchants Mall. We then came back to the room only to find it hadn't been cleaned yet so we walked over to Starvin Marvin's (*) to have some lunch. We both had the Cashew Chicken which was VERY good!! After lunch we sat out by the pool enjoying the day and then we left to go to our afternoon show which was Darren Romeo (*). The show was SO GOOD!! Not only does he do magic but he also sings as well. The magic is being performed while he is singing, pretty impressive!! This show is a well polished Vegas production in every since of the word. The music he performs is a mix of songs he wrote himself as well as popular songs you may hear on the radio to music from broadway musicals. I was sitting there trying to think how he did some of the things that he did and I still don't have a clue. Some parts that I loved included the "tiger tales" that are in a bottle (this is a cute segment), to the part when he makes a white piano appear out of no where( we were sitting kind of on the side and we only could see the piano when he pulled the cloth away, AMAZING!), to the famous Blackstone's floating light bulb routine. He actually makes the light blub float out into the audience, to the Phantom of the Opera segment at the end. He is a very talented performer!!! The show contains props as well as some backdrops. This show was well attended for an afternoon show on a Tuesday. After the show we went back to our room for a rest before our evening show Cirque (*). Cirque what can I say but OH MY GOODNESS! This show is unlike anything else you will see in Branson. It was OUTSTANDING!! It is an adventure into a magical jungle led by a "spirit" (the woman that does this particular part has an amazing voice but only sings a few songs in english, when she does if you listen to what she is saying she is telling you the story). The money that is spent on this show is incredible. While one of the main acts is performing if you watch what all is going on in different parts of the stage you will see what I am talking about. Lavish costumed "creatures" that only make a brief appearance on stage and then are gone. For those that have seen it what did you think about the "worm" that comes out at the beginning? There has not been a lot said about this show here and I was completely surprised so I will give you all that same oppourtunity and not tell you a lot about it so you have the same experience that I did. You will see some amazing things on stage and in the air at this show. I can't wait to go and see this again!!! Again the show had a nice sized crowd. Also this show will let out a little before 10:00 so that way you are able to get out on the strip a little before everyone else. After the show grandma and I went for a late dinner at Applebees. It was good as always! We asked one of the workers there if they had head the election results yet and he said he hadn't but would ask others to see if they knew and he came back to tell us that no one really knew an election was going on, LOL! After dinner it was time to go to bed! The next morning(Wednesday 4th) we got up and got everything rounded up and checked out and went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I had a chef salad like I usually do when I go there, LOL. After lunch we drove around town taking in things maybe we hadn't seen yet this trip. Then we headed to the Branson Meadows Mall to see the movie, "The Notebook" (*). If you haven't seen this movie you need to, it is so good! I have never really teared up in a movie but this one did it to me. There was not a dry eye leaving the theatre. It is based on Nicholas Spark's novel, The Notebook. I am a big fan of his now and want to read one of his books. I was told from a friend that has read this book that the ending in the movie is not the same as the book. It is the love story between two people from when they were young to when they were old. I knew this would be a movie my grandma would enjoy and I was right, she didn't nod off once during the whole thing, LOL. Excellent, go and see it!! Then it was time to come home to start planning my next Branson outing, ROFL!

Things I learned while on my trip:

1. "Swing, Swing, Swing" will be in the Americana Theater in 2005.

2. I struck up a conversation with an older gentleman that works at the Welk Theater. He said that Darren Romeo will be back in 2005 and he thought it would be for a longer period of time. He also said that Darren is here in Branson for two reasons, the first to perform his show, the second Seigfried and Roy have an interest in Branson and Darren is here to kind of scout it out for them. He also said that he thinks the owner (Larry Welk ?) of the Welk Theater will keep the theater for as long as he can. He said he thinks the Welk show will come back for a few weeks here and there. He said the theater was completely paid for the day they opened the doors.

PS--I wanted to tell you that if you happen to ask me a question about something or want more information on something and I dont' get right back to you, I am getting ready to go on a family weekend outing and won't be back until sometime on Sunday. I will answer you then

Last edited by Jerm; 08-06-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:31 PM   #2
Branson Mom
Just me

My goodness! I haven't read your whole post, but I'm sure it's wonderful!!! Thanks for posting!! Can't wait to finish reading it!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:45 PM   #3
Branson Mom
Just me

Ok, I finished reading now! Thanks again for sharing!! I'm so glad you had a good time! I couldn't agree with you more about Darren Romeo and Cirque, they are both marvelous shows! I'm so glad to hear Darren will be comming back. Thanks again!!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

I read every word...twice!

Fabulous Review!!!
I positively loved reading it.
Thank you!!!

Thanks for the news on Darren Romeo. Have you joined his Fan Club yet?
Old 08-06-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
Double Mom
Packer Fan

Wow, what a great review! I'm glad that you and your grandma had a good trip. That's so neat that you take your grandma to Branson on an annual trip!
Old 08-06-2004, 09:36 PM   #6

AWESOME review!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:34 PM   #7
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

10:00pm Friday KY3 Springfield TV interview confirms what Jerm told us here first.

KY3's feature story was on Darren Romeo tonight and they reported that Darren will return to Branson next year for a longer run.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Jerm, I'm glad to know that Swing, Swing, Swing will return next year and that it will move to the larger Americana Theatre.

Thanks again for all the info.

Closed Thread