1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #136
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
It's confusing that when we had that last heavy rain, the lake levels were not affected, and now that we've had a period with no rain, the lake levels are also not affected as much as you would think.
The Memorial Day weekend flash flood?
Very isolated heavy rain below the Table Rock watershed. Hit Taneycomo hard with a 4' raise very quickly. Danna's, andFall Creek resort among other properties flooded. A van with five people washed off of Fall Creek Rd. Into Cooper Creek with three lives lost. Numerous cars washed away from the used car lot on Fall Creek Rd. Five of them still in Taneycomo just below the mouth of Fall Creek.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #137
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

The entire White river is a system. If the river below Bull Shoals, and even the Mississippi where the White dumps in are high, and not able to take a lot of water, they will hold back on releases. I haven't checked to see what the White river below Bull Shoals is doing, but my guess based on a lot of other rivers in the area is that it is high.
As I mentioned in a previous post they need to get Bull Shoals down to make repairs to Powersite. I'm sure if they could drop it quicker they would.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #138
NotJLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
The entire White river is a system. If the river below Bull Shoals, and even the Mississippi where the White dumps in are high, and not able to take a lot of water, they will hold back on releases. I haven't checked to see what the White river below Bull Shoals is doing, but my guess based on a lot of other rivers in the area is that it is high.
As I mentioned in a previous post they need to get Bull Shoals down to make repairs to Powersite. I'm sure if they could drop it quicker they would.
Just guessing? Should we go find a White River gauge? . . . .

Here's the gauge at Calico Rock, which takes into account Norfork, too:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?07060500

Flood Stage is 19 feet, and it's been run 6-8 feet, m/l.

Here's is the official statement on release policy:

http://www.swl-wc.usace.army.mil/pag...WR_FAQ.htm#WR8

Anyway, my conclusion is I don't why more isn't being released from "our" lakes.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #139
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Anyway, my conclusion is I don't why more isn't being released from "our" lakes.
Maybe because the lower White river is still above, or just now getting to flood stage. With the remnants of the tropical storm, it might be some time before the White is down enough to take a significant increase of flow from "up North"
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...lzk&gage=clda4
That cluster of yellow, orange, and red dots in the Mississippi delta makes me think they don't want a bunch of extra water down there either.
http://www.weather.gov/lmrfc/obsfcst...ppi_riverwatch
When you release a bunch of water from the upper White river, where do it go? South to the Missisdippi, and the delta.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #140
NotJLB

Quote:
Amazing! Every few years a flood control reservoir is used to actually
control flooding on the White River!
Actually, that is said so often that the belief has generally been that the lakes are exclusively for flood control.

Even though I have been guilty of saying that occasionally, that is not the case.

In the USACE's release of the draft for the Shoreline Management Plan, it was stated that the lakes are not just for flood control. They are for five purposes, the other four being hydroelectric power, recreational use, wildlife and fishing, and a water supply for the Shepherd of the Hills Hatchery.

No particular preference was given for any of the five purposes. So, decisions made for any of the purposes would be made with consideration of the impact on the others.

In reality, flood control is a prominent purpose only when there is a cause for concern about flood control, whereas the other purposes are every-day, year-round concerns.

Last edited by NotJLB; 07-06-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #141
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Well, kinda sorta lake levels. Generation is supposed to be shut off completely at Table Rock today until Noon, and again tomorrow morning. With 1/2 of the baffles down at Powersite Taneycomo will get very low. The reason? To aid in removing 5 vehicles that washed into lake Taneycomo from Fall Creek.
A pick up truck, minivan, and three cars. Although after tumbling, and crashing into things all the way from the used car lot on 165 they really don't look much like cars. Just twisted, rolled up pieces of metal. The one I drifted over back in June is supposedly the minivan. But hard to tell. The roof must be gone because we could see the seats, and steering wheel. They have been there, right below the mouth of Fall Creek since the Memorial Day weekend flash flood. With Taneycomo returning to a more normal le el rhey are becoming a navigation hazzard.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #142
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Well, kinda sorta lake levels. Generation is supposed to be shut off completely at Table Rock today until Noon, and again tomorrow morning. With 1/2 of the baffles down at Powersite Taneycomo will get very low. The reason? To aid in removing 5 vehicles that washed into lake Taneycomo from Fall Creek.
A pick up truck, minivan, and three cars. Although after tumbling, and crashing into things all the way from the used car lot on 165 they really don't look much like cars. Just twisted, rolled up pieces of metal. The one I drifted over back in June is supposedly the minivan. But hard to tell. The roof must be gone because we could see the seats, and steering wheel. They have been there, right below the mouth of Fall Creek since the Memorial Day weekend flash flood. With Taneycomo returning to a more normal level they are becoming a navigation hazard.

Last edited by rjw1991A1; 07-15-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #143
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Even without the cars, trees, and logs, Upper Taneycomo doesn't allow much time for "electronic navigational aids" to be helpful.
You either learn the channel, or in my case where I can run out of the channel, or you don't. Plus you need to relearn after every flood because the gravel shoals, trees, stumps, and various debris gets added, and relocated.
Although still considered a lake, Taneycomo gets very river like above Fall Creek.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:27 AM   #144
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

With the hot weather they want to use up some of that water in Table Rock to generate power. However they shut down all generation for four hours Friday, and Saturday. presumably so the cars can be removed from lake Taneycomo.
I guess whoever was supposed to remove them didn't get the memo...They're still there!
PicsV
http://forums.ozarkanglers.com/topic...comment-506742

Last edited by rjw1991A1; 07-16-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #145
zalo9
Your message here, $5.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #146
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

I really kind of wonder how they are going to get the deepest one that are half way across the lake out. Do they have dock repair boats big enough on Taneycomo. I guess maybe a boat recovery company can air bag them up.
Would be interesting to see. Hope somebody gets a drone up to video it.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:09 PM   #147
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
water temp is 92° in the shade
92°???
You sure? How deep was the water where you checked? I checked the surface temp in about ten feet of water in the hot water discharge canal of a powerhouse in August, and it wasn't but a couple degrees warmer. Thinking you were in inches of water, or had trapped water somewhere.

Quote:
Table Rock Lake current water temperature is: 85°F
This water temperature is warm enough for water sports
https://www.watertemperature.net/uni...mperature.html

Last edited by rjw1991A1; 07-19-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #148
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Taneycomo: Looked late this morning. The cars are still there. Looked like maybe 2-3 units running. The white one in the pile of three is clearly out of the water. The deeper ones further out have been marked with bouys.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #149
NotJLB

Quote:
Amazing! Every few years a flood control reservoir is used to actually
control flooding on the White River!
The first line on Beaver Lake's home page:

With some 487 miles of natural shoreline and 31,700 surface acres at top of flood-control pool, Beaver Lake offers the best in recreational opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts of all ages.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #150
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Taneycomo: Looked late this morning. The cars are still there. Looked like maybe 2-3 units running. The white one in the pile of three is clearly out of the water. The deeper ones further out have been marked with bouys.
Are you catching any fish around them?

Closed Thread