1 Branson. com MO Forum
   

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Dining

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Ms_Terese
Local Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,076
REVIEW: Red Lobster

DS called me on Sunday night because he'd seen the Red Lobster commercial advertising a 4 course meal for $15, and asked if we could all meet there for supper on Monday (his rare evening off). He's currently working 2 full time jobs, trying to rebuild his savings account after a period of unemployment, so he's constantly watching his pennies while still enjoying life a bit.

So, 5 adults and 1 crib midget met there last night for supper. The $15 menu is limited, but varied.

Soup: Potato or Clam Chowder

Salad: Caesar or Garden

Entree: Shrimp and Scallops Alfredo, or Habanero Coconut Shrimp Bites plus Citrus grilled Shrimp, or Garlic Herb Shrimp and Chicken, or Wood Grilled Tilapia, or Coconut Shrimp, or hand breaded shrimp, or cajun chicken Linguine

Dessert: Brownie a la Mode, Cinnamon donut holes, or key lime pie.

All of our dishes were really good, and each one was easily enough for 2 meals for all the ladies. I had the clam chowder and garden salad (and of course one of those wonderful garlic cheese biscuits), and only sampled my habanero coconut / grilled shrimp entree before I was too full to finish. It came with wild rice and cole slaw. Same with dessert, I took a couple of bites of the key lime pie and boxed it up. DS and another friend chose the same entree and loved it.

DIL had the potato soup and the shrimp & scallops alfredo, and loved it.

DH had the grilled chicken and shrimp, and it came with mashed potatoes and veggies. Really enjoyed it! He and DS are the only ones who managed to eat their entire meal, but still had to take most of their desserts home.

I'm sure I'd seen the commercial also, but tend to tune those things out. Really glad DS saw it and made the suggestion! Not sure how much longer they're running it for, but it was well worth the price.

I can't wait for lunch today!
Ms_Terese is offline  
Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL
 
SHOW GAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LENEXA, KANSAS AND BRANSON, MISSOURI
Posts: 33,438
We go to Red Lobster quite frequently and have been several times since they have had their "$15 for a 4-course meal" promotion.

I agree with everything you said. The selection was very good, food was prepared properly and the service was good. Someone suggested it for a "gals night out" and they all enjoyed it also and many had previously tried it and not a negative remark from anybody.

Glad you enjoyed it as much as we did.
__________________

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
SHOW GAL is offline  
Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member
 
biscuitcreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Arkansas Ozarks
Posts: 15,369
It's been years since I've been to Red Lobster. May have to give it a try based on the 2 current, positive reviews.
biscuitcreek is offline  
Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
shis1
Str8fn
 
shis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 16,374
When we want a 'nice' dinner, we'll often head to Red Lobster. Have eaten at the one in Branson several times, as well as Red Lobster restaurants in several different cities, and I don't think we've ever been dissatisfied with a meal in any of them....... We especially like to order from their Lunch Menu What upsets me the most at Red Lobster is to see a server bring 'another' basket of the garlic biscuits to a table that is obviously finished with their dinner, and then see the diners ask for a 'sack, sack up the biscuits and head for the door! Have seen this happen more than once......it's okay to take home leftovers, but I don't think it's okay to 'ask for more' just to have some to take home!
shis1 is offline  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Ms_Terese
Local Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
What upsets me the most at Red Lobster is to see a server bring 'another' basket of the garlic biscuits to a table that is obviously finished with their dinner, and then see the diners ask for a 'sack, sack up the biscuits and head for the door! Have seen this happen more than once......it's okay to take home leftovers, but I don't think it's okay to 'ask for more' just to have some to take home!
It's funny you said that....we had asked for several "to go" boxes for our meals, and were discussing who was going to take the 1 biscuit that was left, and our server overheard and brought 2 more so there would be 1 for each take out box! (Did I mention that she got a really good tip?)
Ms_Terese is offline  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
shis1
Str8fn
 
shis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 16,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Terese View Post
It's funny you said that....we had asked for several "to go" boxes for our meals, and were discussing who was going to take the 1 biscuit that was left, and our server overheard and brought 2 more so there would be 1 for each take out box! (Did I mention that she got a really good tip?)
It's 'one thing' when the biscuits are 'offered'; an entirely different thing when the customer asks for some to take home!

(Not too long ago at Ruby Tuesday's, I saw an 'adult' lady return to her table with a plate FULL of grapes from the salad bar. She never ate one of them, but rather asked for a takeout box and filled it with the grapes.)
shis1 is offline  
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
TJefferson
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitcreek View Post
It's been years since I've been to Red Lobster. May have to give it a try based on the 2 current, positive reviews.
I was thinking the same thing. I used to love the place and couldn't eat there enough but a few years back just got to thinking they were slipping. The tables seemed to be getting smaller and closer together. Meals kept going up in price and amount of food just kept getting less. The "all you can eat crab leg" specials stopped altogether and the price of beverages went through the roof. Perhaps they've learned a lesson or two in the past few years. Hope so.
I still think the Olive Garden has the best lunch deal hands down. All you can eat soup, salad and breadsticks for $6.95 and it goes til 4pm. Can't beat it. I do wonder though how the salad bowl always comes back with 2 olives in it. Never 1. Never 3. Always 2. Perplexing.
TJefferson is offline  
Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nixa, Missouri
Posts: 12,715
I may have to try Red Lobster again. I last went there about 15 years ago and didn't go back because there were so few options that did not involve breaded and/or fried fish or seafood. It seems like they may be offering more baked or broiled stuff now so I will give it another try. If I want breaded and fried fish I'll buy fish-sticks at WalMart!!

__________________

Good Times in Branson
MNtraveler is offline  
Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Ms_Terese
Local Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I may have to try Red Lobster again. I last went there about 15 years ago and didn't go back because there were so few options that did not involve breaded and/or fried fish or seafood. It seems like they may be offering more baked or broiled stuff now so I will give it another try. If I want breaded and fried fish I'll buy fish-sticks at WalMart!!

MNT, their menu is listed on their website. You should check it out and see if there are things there that you'd like. However, I do know they have a selection of fresh fish everyday that you can get broiled, grilled, or blackened.
Ms_Terese is offline  
Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL
 
SHOW GAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LENEXA, KANSAS AND BRANSON, MISSOURI
Posts: 33,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJefferson View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I used to love the place and couldn't eat there enough but a few years back just got to thinking they were slipping. The tables seemed to be getting smaller and closer together. Meals kept going up in price and amount of food just kept getting less. The "all you can eat crab leg" specials stopped altogether and the price of beverages went through the roof. Perhaps they've learned a lesson or two in the past few years. Hope so.
I still think the Olive Garden has the best lunch deal hands down. All you can eat soup, salad and breadsticks for $6.95 and it goes til 4pm. Can't beat it. I do wonder though how the salad bowl always comes back with 2 olives in it. Never 1. Never 3. Always 2. Perplexing.
I heard from one of the managers of Red Lobster that some "heads rolled" over their last "all-you-can-eat crab leg special". Seems as if they lost a good deal of money on that promotion as crab legs had jumped so high in the price they had to pay for them. We both love crab legs and certainly enjoyed that promotion.

Can't remember what I paid for my diet Coke the last time I was there but I know it was expensive, but seems like most restaurants now are really high on their soft drink prices.

Their lunch deal is a good deal, especially if you enjoy their salad. I think they have a great salad dressing and their lunch combo is just the right amount of food for lunch time. Applebee's has started a lunch special featuring the same items for lunch but I am not sure of the price.
__________________

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
SHOW GAL is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 04:57 AM   #11
TJefferson
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I may have to try Red Lobster again. I last went there about 15 years ago and didn't go back because there were so few options that did not involve breaded and/or fried fish or seafood. It seems like they may be offering more baked or broiled stuff now so I will give it another try. If I want breaded and fried fish I'll buy fish-sticks at WalMart!!

Being the MNTravel guy that you are I was wondering if you happened to be at the one on 55 in Plymouth 15 years ago? I might have seen you. That's the location that really cracked me up, about that many years ago. We went in, sat down and noticed a table tent that said " In our efforts to save the environment we will no longer be bringing water to our patrons unless specifically requested to do so". We all thought this was a joke at first since it was just down the road from Curt Carlson's World Headquarters with it's 5000 gal per minute water fountain in it's front yard. I don't know if his Co even owns RL anymore but it sure was funny at the time. That's right about the time everything in the place started shrinking.
TJefferson is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member
 
Blaze2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 20,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
When we want a 'nice' dinner, we'll often head to Red Lobster. Have eaten at the one in Branson several times, as well as Red Lobster restaurants in several different cities, and I don't think we've ever been dissatisfied with a meal in any of them....... We especially like to order from their Lunch Menu What upsets me the most at Red Lobster is to see a server bring 'another' basket of the garlic biscuits to a table that is obviously finished with their dinner, and then see the diners ask for a 'sack, sack up the biscuits and head for the door! Have seen this happen more than once......it's okay to take home leftovers, but I don't think it's okay to 'ask for more' just to have some to take home!
We thoroughly enjoy Red Lobster! We don't go as often because
of their over salted foods. Now that I need to watch my salt intake
I can taste it in foods & instead of tasting the item I taste the salt.
We both love the biscuits. When we do make RL the restaurant of
choice for the evening I have 2 added pounds on the scale the next morning. Why? SALT!

When all restaurants lower their salt addition it will be as great as
all the grilled foods now on their menus.
Blaze2 is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
kstater1997
Ultra Member
 
kstater1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
Sorry, but:

New England Clam Chowder: 230 Calories, 17 grams of fat
Caesar Salad: 270 Calories, 21 grams of fat
Shrimp Linguini Alfredo: 1100 Calories, 58 grams of fat
Brownie (Chocolate Wave): 1490 Calories, 81 grams of fat

3090 Calories
177 grams of fat



Recommended daily intake:

Calories: 2000
Fat: 65

And your point is? I am diabetic...you gotta splurge once in a while.

James
kstater1997 is offline  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member
 
bransoncutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Branson, MO
Posts: 12,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstater1997 View Post
And your point is? I am diabetic...you gotta splurge once in a while.

James
Most weight-loss experts will tell you that an occasional splurge is not going to hurt you. In fact, as long as you keep those splurge meals to a minimum, they can actually keep you closer on track.
bransoncutie is offline  
Old 07-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member
 
can'tcatchup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstater1997 View Post
And your point is? I am diabetic...you gotta splurge once in a while.
I'm diabetic too, and I don't know you, but I think I love you! (G) Even my diabetes specialist says a splurge now and then is realistic. I love him too!

Red Lobster, is my favorite chain restaurant, and to me represents a terrific value in dining experience. A nice salad, the biscuits, a nice entree with usually a baked potato or veggie and usually plenty of coupons out there make for a great meal. I go to the RL in my part of St. Louis county every chance I get, but surprisingly have never been to the one in Branson.

A friend of mine and I went last night and had the 4-course for $15 meal since this is the last week for it, and we hadn't been yet. We knew it would be way more food than we could eat; so we told the waiter right away we'd like the soup and dessert packaged up for take-home instead of bringing it to the table.

I had the Caesar salad & shrimp & scallops alfredo which was truly out of this world and magnificent! I was good and ate only one biscuit. Friend had the garden salad & hand-breaded shrimp. We didn't look inside the take-home bags until we got home & found the waiter had reversed our dessert orders, but that's ok. I got the friend's cinnamon donut holes & they got my key lime pie. I popped the soup in the freezer for another time. Plus, we both discovered when we got home that the waiter had included a small dish of ice cream in each bag, and amazingly, despite the heat wave, it hadn't turned to soup by the time we got home!

RL had sent me an email coupon expiring Aug. 9, for $4 off; so our "all-you-can-eat" dinners were only $13.00 each.
can'tcatchup is offline  


 

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: Red Lobster Bella2 Branson Dining 29 01-09-2010 11:48 AM
Red Lobster Trobaman Just for Chit Chat 19 09-16-2008 11:12 PM
REVIEW: Red Lobster - WONDERFUL flowerchild Branson Dining 7 04-15-2008 08:17 AM
Red Lobster? julieeileen Branson Dining 1 12-12-2006 10:19 PM
REVIEW: Red Lobster - Iffy Donsgal Branson Missouri Other 0 04-03-2005 03:01 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 PM.


--