1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Angry WHY ? re: Gas/Diesel Prices......

Prices rise because they fear prices will rise?
That's a simple question to a complicated issue...but it appears out of fear we pay more, JUST IN CASE.

Quote:
Oil Nears Record on Concern Conflict in Iran Will Cut Exports April 18 (Bloomberg) -- Crude oil traded near a record set earlier today amid concern tension over Iran's nuclear research will erupt into armed conflict and cut exports from the world's fourth- largest producer.
Israel may need to take action alone to stop Iran from building nuclear weapons, Avigdor Lieberman, a candidate to become the next Israeli internal security minister, said yesterday. Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said April 14 Israel was on the road to ``being eliminated,'' Agence France-Presse reported.
``The political tension over Iran is what has kept the market high, and the president seems to want to rub it in as much as possible,'' said Bruce Evers, an analyst at Investec Securities in London. ``We may see $70 remain through the end of the month. The situation doesn't seem to be getting any closer to resolution.''
Crude oil for May delivery rose as much as 48 cents, or 0.7 percent, to $70.88 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. That broke the record of $70.85 set Aug. 30 after Hurricane Katrina wrecked oil and natural gas rigs, platforms and pipelines in the Gulf of Mexico.
Crude traded at $70.71 a barrel, up 31 cents, at 12:17 p.m. London time. Yesterday, futures ended trading at $70.40, the highest closing price since trading started in 1983. Brent crude, the benchmark for two-thirds of the world's crude, traded as high as $72.20 in London, the sixth straight day it's reached a record.
Inflation Threat
Oil has risen 17 percent in the past month. The gains are prompting speculation high energy prices will stoke global inflation and cut into earnings at companies such as Continental Airlines Inc., a U.S. airline struggling to cope with high jet fuel prices.
``It's a world market, and if Iran decides for whatever reason to stop shipping oil, or if it wants to go ahead and blockade oil coming out through the Persian Gulf, then we're going to have a lot of problems,'' said Peter Beutel, president of energy consulting firm Cameron Hanover. ``If we get a close over $71, then we're going to have to start picking numbers out of the air again as to how high it can go.''
Gold today extended its rally to a 25-year high on concern inflation will accelerate as oil prices climb. That would force central banks to raise interest rates, slowing economic growth.
Changes in gasoline specifications in the U.S. next month are also worrying traders. The changes are causing refiners to take more time than usual to prepare for the summer driving season, causing gasoline output to fall. Gasoline supplies fell almost 8 percent from a year ago, the U.S. Energy Department said last week.
``You've also got to bear in mind the risk to the gasoline market in the U.S,'' said Rob Laughlin, a broker at Man Financial Ltd. in London. ``You don't stand in the way of a runaway train.''
Iranian Impasse
The U.S., Israel and Europe allege Iran, OPEC's second-largest exporter, is developing atomic weapons. Iran, which exports about 2.6 million barrels of crude a day, has said it won't cut exports in retaliation if the United Nations imposes sanctions. The UN has called on Iran to halt its nuclear research by the end of the month.
Iran heightened concern about its intentions after Ahmadinejad took office in August. He declared the Nazi Holocaust of World War II, in which millions of Jews were killed, was a ``myth'' and said Israel should be ``wiped off the map.''
The New Yorker magazine said in a report on April 8 the U.S. may use air strikes and tactical nuclear weapons to destroy Iran's suspected atomic weapons program, including underground facilities.
A U.S. military strike on Iran would not eliminate the nuclear threat and would spark retaliation against American interests worldwide, said Saudi Arabia's Prince Turki al-Faisal, the kingdom's new ambassador to the U.S. Saudi Arabia, the world's largest oil exporter, is pumping almost all the oil it can. It couldn't replace Iran's production by itself.
``The Iranians have put themselves in a difficult position,'' said Deborah White, a commodities economist with Societe Generale in London. ``The last time the U.S. suspected weapons of mass destruction, they invaded Iraq.''
Expensive Gas
The average retail gasoline price in the U.S. rose 0.21 cents to $2.782 a gallon over the weekend, up 24 percent from $2.244 a year ago, the according to AAA, the nation's largest motorist organization.
Gasoline for May delivery traded at $2.1695 a gallon, down .02 cent. Yesterday, the futures jumped 2.9 percent to $2.1697 a gallon, the highest close since Sept. 29. Prices have risen 45 percent in the past year.
New gasoline standards in the U.S. may make it harder for refiners to meet demand. Methyl tertiary butyl ether, MTBE, is being phased out. Refiners are using ethanol blends to cut pollution.
U.S. gasoline supplies fell 7.9 percent to 207.9 million barrels in the six weeks ended April 7, Energy Department data show.
Chinese President Hu Jintao, who meets U.S. President George W. Bush in Washington this week, said April 16 China's economy grew 10.2 percent in the first quarter, faster than previously forecast. Its first-quarter oil imports rose 25 percent.
The International Energy Agency, an adviser to 26 oil-using nations, said last week demand for crude in the past two years was greater than previously estimated, underpinning higher prices.

To contact the reporter on this story:Last Updated: April 18, 2006 07:50 EDT

''``The political tension over Iran is what has kept the market high, and the president seems to want to rub it in as much as possible,'' said Bruce Evers, an analyst at Investec Securities in London. ''

Is this the President the above author is talking about?: Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?

After this?: Avigdor Lieberman, a candidate to become the next Israeli internal security minister, said yesterday. Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said April 14 Israel was on the road to ``being eliminated,'' Agence France-Presse reported.

A threat?
A promise?

So the gas prices rise and rise, while Ahmadinejad decides to level Israel?

Sidebar:

DRILL IN AMERICA..become Self Sufficient Self Reliant.......and tell these Arabs to go to H***.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
OkieAnon

if there's a fear of a shortage of oil/gas.... the price goes up

if there's a drought, or reports of mad cow disease causing fears of a shortage of wheat or beef.... the price falls

strange logic huh.

Quote:
drill in America
they are... hot and heavy around here... only they ain't finding a lot or it's poor quality that they are finding.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

My Son just sent this re: GAS

Quote:
GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came
from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It ' s
worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a
gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to
come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip
Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day"
campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just
laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt"
ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us
than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably
thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is
currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil
companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the
cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take
aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up
more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are
going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the
pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT
hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just
stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act
together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two
biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not
selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they
reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon
and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at
this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach
millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends it to at
least ten more (30 x 10 =3D 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least
ten more (300 x 10 =3D 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message
reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE
MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on
to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If
it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE
>>>>HUNDRED MILLION >>>>PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If
you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do
is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a
mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to
ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could
conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did
you?

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you,
please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL
UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
Okay..........can you all copy and paste?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
Grangie
Ultra Member

Did any of you see on the news that one of exxon's top man has retired and he is only gonna get $400 million in retirement !! Geez, hope he can survive on that. I WILL NOT buy Exxon gas if it is the cheapest in town!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
CHRISTISAM2001
El Grando Branson Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake
Okay..........can you all copy and paste?
I just got this in an email today. I sent it to everybody in my address book! I will do what it takes, if this idea doesnt work.. well I least I tried!!

Closed Thread