1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
OkieAnon

why do we keep stuff?

I got this hair brained idea I was going to clean the back of my store out, not just move things around and sweep but throw anything away I had no use for.

i'm sure there's things that at the time it made perfect sense to save, and i'm sure I could figure out the reason for saving some of these things... if I could just figure out what these things were.

trash men are going to hate me next week.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
shis1
Str8fn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieAnon View Post
I got this hair brained idea I was going to clean the back of my store out, not just move things around and sweep but throw anything away I had no use for.

i'm sure there's things that at the time it made perfect sense to save, and i'm sure I could figure out the reason for saving some of these things... if I could just figure out what these things were.

And then the next week, YOU are going to hate YOURSELF, wondering 'why did I throw that away?'
Old 06-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Cleaning out here too. Files, storage closets, drawers, basement. Lots of good stuff we just don't have a reason to keep anymore. The good stuff goes to Goodwill, some stuff burns and the rest to the dump. Coming across some interesting stuff too, of course. (info on the cars over the years - needs to go in scrapbook).
Old 06-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
OkieAnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
And then the next week, YOU are going to hate YOURSELF, wondering 'why did I throw that away?'
probably so. there's bound to be something i'll want but for the life of me I can't figure why i'd want the top half of an old weed eater, or parts off of 30 year old chain saw who's company went out of business. 3/4ths empty dried up can's of spray paint, the lid to a 5 gallon paint can that I have no idea where the can is or why I kept the lid
Old 06-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieAnon View Post

We always plan to 'clean out' and end up not doing it!
Our plans are to still do this, but not this month!

Will someone please tell me how two people can fill up a
9 room house + two attics? For the life of us, we can't!
Guess we don't get rid of enough at a time to tell the difference!
..........but one of these days, we will!
Old 06-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
OkieAnon

the best thing about getting rid of stuff, is that now you have more room to store more stuff.... that in 5 years you'll wonder.... why'd I keep that stuff
Old 06-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Red face

Oh me....
My house is ''cluttered'' with precious things, literally cluttered, ...it's hard to dust and clean and virtually impossible to walk easily in one bedroom...my {save it here til I know what I want to do with it}....

We have an attic with three generations of stuff...then there is the 4th and 5th generation's antiques...........

Then the old garage..hooked onto the big 18 wheeler shop...(you have no idea how much stuff a man can save in case of a rainy day)....do you know back in the 70s the boys dismantled old horse drawn farm implements (before antiques were even an issue)....they put the teeth in one pile, and the flat iron in one pile, and the whatever in another pile. Then there were the coffee cans and the three gallon tins....where washers and nuts and bolts and square nails were all kept separate.

Of course there was more....Chevy this, and Ford that and IH this and Case that and etc.

Waste not want not.

We still have all this, but when you need something on a Sunday afternoon for some unknown mishap or broken down something...or you need a square nail....to show someone....WE'VE GOT ONE OF EACH...probably 7000.

If you want to mash taters with my Mom's potato masher bought in 1937..at Woolworths in Northern Minnesota...
I'll let you borrow it.

I throw nothing away....
Old 06-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
RONZO the CLOWN
Ultra Member

George Carlin and stuff

George Carlin had a monologue about stuff. Just do a google search or Youtube search. Warning, as typical with Carlin, there is some language that some might find objectional.

RONZO
Old 06-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONZO the CLOWN View Post
George Carlin had a monologue about stuff. Just do a google search or Youtube search. Warning, as typical with Carlin, there is some language that some might find objectional.

RONZO
THANKS, but we don't need it, have enough lanuage of our own!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
karoinbranson
God Bless You !!

I hear you on that OkieAnon!!!! I recently moved and cleaned out EVERYTHING........and the trashmen weren't too fond of me either!!!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
lucyann
Super Ultra Member

It's easier to rationalize "What if??" than it is to throw it out to begin with!!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

Why do we keep "stuff"?

My analyst tells me that we surround ourselves with stuff, because it gives us a sense of security. It's a false form of security, that needs to be replenished.....

Endless, compulsive, mindless, shopping is a "socially accepted" addiction......true story, folks. We have all done it @ one time, or another, some, more than others.....
I have a widowed friend that is undergoing treatment; meds & therapy, for her way-out-of-control compulsive, daily shopping. She has gone through a small fortune in 4 years.
Her house, that used to be neat as a pin, literally, has a path through it; a fire hazard.....
I know exactly what she is going through & struggling with; she is trying to regain/buy the happiness that she had when her husband was still with her....
& her poor daughter is just frantic with trying to deal with Mom.....
Old 06-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
shis1
Str8fn

I"m not one to go 'buy "stuff" and pack it away', but I do have a problem with getting rid of 'stuff'. For instance, about a month ago, dd asked if we still had the ball gloves, bats, & balls that she and her sister had as kids. Sure, we did! And I found them right away! In a big box, taped shut, with a big # in magic marker on the side of the box. I had a 'reference sheet', with all the #'s of the boxes and what each box contained. Majority of the boxes have gone through our last 2 moves and haven't been opened, just more boxes added to the collection! But dd's family is now outfitted with baseball 'gear' and they didn't have to go shopping.....other than our upstairs storage area!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
I"m not one to go 'buy "stuff" and pack it away', but I do have a problem with getting rid of 'stuff'. For instance, about a month ago, dd asked if we still had the ball gloves, bats, & balls that she and her sister had as kids. Sure, we did! And I found them right away! In a big box, taped shut, with a big # in magic marker on the side of the box. I had a 'reference sheet', with all the #'s of the boxes and what each box contained. Majority of the boxes have gone through our last 2 moves and haven't been opened, just more boxes added to the collection! But dd's family is now outfitted with baseball 'gear' and they didn't have to go shopping.....other than our upstairs storage area!
Now THAT"S organization!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #15
him8nc
Branson Area Native

I'm reading a book right now called, "When Organizing Isn't Enough: SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life" by Julie Morgenstern.

I'm a terrible pack-rat.

I convince myself that I really need this stuff, but most of it hasn't been touched for years.

Before I discovered this book, I had been slowly letting go of a lot of the clutter and I've been feeling pretty good about it.

The book is helping me understand why I've had such difficulties with letting go of this stuff in the past.

It's not as simple as it seems on episodes of "Oprah" where they surprise someone and start shoveling out their house.

Closed Thread