1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
angerie
Mine mommy! :)

Lightbulb So You Think You Know Everything?

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.

A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

A snail can sleep for three years.

Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on theback of the $5 bill.

Almonds are a member of the peach family.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

Babies are born without kneecaps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds. Dogs only have about 10.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".

February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Wink

I knew that
Old 01-01-2004, 01:05 PM   #3
Gabriella
Super Ultra Member

Just one thing...

"dreamt" is not a word. Past tense of dream is dreamed.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
Bransonfan
Super Ultra Member

I think my kids had a lot in common with the goldfish and the snail when they were growing upl!LOL
Old 01-01-2004, 02:40 PM   #5
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Re: Just one thing...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriella
"dreamt" is not a word. Past tense of dream is dreamed.
Well here is what this guy has to say:

Kenneth G. Wilson (1923–). The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993.

dream (n., v.)

Dream has long had two sets of Standard past tense and past participle forms, dreamed and dreamt: She dreamed [dreamt] she won the lottery. I had dreamed [dreamt] that I was being pursued. Americans may slightly prefer dreamed and the British dreamt, but both occur frequently in American English. To dream a dream or to dream dreams is Standard and not considered redundant; you can also have dreams. Both verb and noun can combine with either of or about: He dreamed of [about] chocolate bars. She had a dream about [of] falling through space. For more on the verb’s principal parts, see CREEP.

Kenneth G. Wilson (1923–). The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993.

creep (v.)

Past tenses and past participles of creep, dream, leap, kneel, and sleep have the strong verb’s change of internal vowel, and these forms are Standard: creep, crept, crept; sleep, slept, slept; dream, dreamt, dreamt; leap, leapt, leapt; and kneel, knelt, knelt. All but sleep and creep have long had the weak verb pattern as well, so that dream, dreamed, dreamed; leap, leaped, leaped; and kneel, kneeled, kneeled are also Standard forms. Now creep has begun to develop creeped as past tense and past participle, in divided usage with crept, although thus far creeped seems to be restricted to the lower Conversational levels and rarely occurs even in Informal writing. It will be interesting to monitor creep’s development, since it could follow at least two different analogical models—that of sleep or that of leap.

Last edited by Cheesecake; 01-01-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:31 PM   #6
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

This verb thing....is interesting.....

Its been such a long time since I was in school....and I hated English Class, when it had to do with sentence structure, and words.......I also had 4 years of Spanish, where we only conjegated verbs....I never learned the converstation skills.....

Glad I got to surf alittle on this....got me to thinking about how much we do know.......automatically......cause I do not think about all this stuff, as I speak......do you?

Found this:

FORM OF THE SIMPLE PAST TENSE WITH REGULAR VERBS

The form is the same for all persons.

Pronunciation spelling

I > played /d/ arrive/arrived
You > arrived /d/ wait/waited
He > worked /t/ stop/stopped
She > dreamed/dreamt /dri:md/ or /dremt/ occur/occurred
It > posted /Id/ cry/cried
We >
You >
They >

Pronunciation of the regular past verbs in the regular past always end with a -d in their spelling, but the pronunciation of the past ending is not always the same:

play/played /d/

The most common spelling characteristic of the regular past is that -ed is added to the base form of the verb: opened, knocked, stayed, etc. Except in the cases noted below, this -ed is not pronounced as if it were an extra syllable, so opened is pronounced: /@Up@nd/, knocked: /nQkt/, stayed: /steId/, etc.

arrive/arrived /d/

Verbs which end in the following sounds have their past endings pronounced /d/: /b/ rubbed; /g/ tugged; /dZ/ managed; /l/ filled; /m/ dimmed; /n/ listened; vowel + /r/ stirred; /v/ loved; /z/ seized. The -ed ending is not pronounced as an extra syllable.

work/worked /t/

Verbs which end in the following sounds have their past endings pronounced /t/: /k/ packed; /s/ passed; /tS/ watched; /S/ washed; /f/ laughed; /p/ tipped. The -ed ending is not pronounced as an extra syllable.

dream/dreamed /d/ or dreamt /t/

A few verbs function as both regular and irregular and may have their past forms spelt -ed or

-t pronounced /d/ or /t/: e.g. burn, dream, lean, learn, smell, spell, spill, spoil.

post/posted /Id/

Verbs which end in the sounds /t/ or /d/ have their past endings pronounced /Id/: posted, added. The -ed ending is pronounced as an extra syllable added to the base form of the verb.

Spelling of the regular past

The regular past always ends in -d:

arrive/arrived

Verbs ending in -e add -d: e.g. phone/phoned, smile/smiled. This rule applies equally to agree, die, lie, etc.

wait/waited

Verbs not ending in -e add -ed: e.g. ask/asked, clean/cleaned, follow/followed, video/videoed.

stop/stopped

Verbs spelt with a single vowel letter followed by a single consonant letter double the consonant: beg/begged, rub/rubbed.

occur/occurred

In two-syllable verbs the final consonant is doubled when the last syllable contains a single vowel letter followed by a single consonant letter and is stressed: pre'fer/preferred, re'fer/referred. Compare: 'benefit/benefited, 'differ/differed and 'profit/profited which are stressed on their first syllables and which therefore do not double their final consonants. In American English labeled, quarreled, signaled and traveled follow the rule. In British English labelled, quarrelled, signalled and travelled are exceptions to the rule.

cry/cried

When there is a consonant before -y, the "y" changes to "i" before we add -ed: e.g. carry/carried, deny/denied, fry/fried, try/tried. Compare: delay/delayed, obey/obeyed, play/played, etc. which have a vowel before -y and therefore simply add -ed in the past.

FORM OF THE SIMPLE PAST TENSE WITH IRREGULAR VERBS

The form is the same for all persons

I >}
You >
He > took >
She > shut > the suitcase
It > sat on >
We >
You >
They >

Notes on the past form of irregular verbs

Unlike regular verbs, irregular verbs (about 150 in all) do not have past forms which can be predicted:

shut/shut

A small number of verbs have the same form in the present as in the past: e.g. cut/cut, hit/hit, put/put. It is important to remember, particularly with such verbs, that the third person does not change in the past: e.g. he shut (past); he shuts (present).

sit/sat

The past form of most irregular verbs is different from the present: bring/brought, catch/caught, keep/kept, leave/left, lose/lost.

USES OF THE SIMPLE PAST TENSE

1. Completed actions

We normally use the Simple Past Tense to talk about events, actions or situations which occurred in the past and are now finished.

They may have happened recently:

Sam phoned a moment ago.

or in the distant past:

The Goths invaded Rome in A.D. 410.

A time reference must be given:

I had a word with Julian this morning.

or must be understood from the context:

I saw Fred in town. (i.e. when I was there this morning)

I never met my grandfather. (i.e. he is dead)

When we use the simple past, we are usually concerned with when an action occurred, not with its duration (how long it lasted).

2. Past habit

Like used to, the simple past can be used to describe past habits:

I smoked forty cigarettes a day till I gave up.

3. The immediate past

We can sometimes use the Simple Past without a time reference to describe something that happened a very short time ago:

Jimmy punched me in the stomach.

Did the telephone ring?

Who left the door open?

4. Polite inquiries, etc.

The Simple Past does not always refer to past time. It can also be used for polite inquiries (particularly asking for favours), often with verbs like hope, think or wonder. Compare:

I wonder if you could give me a lift.

I wondered if you could give me a lift. (more tentative/polite)

Closed Thread