1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 07:32 AM   #1
flyfishinggolfer
Ultra Member

cast iron cooking

I enjoy cooking with cast iron cookware,both camping and at home. I am not very talented at seasoning c.i., though. I have tried Pam, Crisco and good ol' bacon fat. Does anyone have a sure fire solution that works for them? Also, is there a certain cleaning utensil that works better than the rest? I never clean my c.i. with dishwater detergent. Only hot water. Thank you. Fly.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
fours
Catch Cyclone Fever!

My cast iron skillet was handed down through the ranks, grandma, mom and me...the only coating it has ever had is bacon grease...and always just hot water soakings. I'm a faithful watcher of the cooking channel and have yet to seeing cast iron cooking.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
JUDITH

I use my cast iron to make cornbread and just use plain vegetable oil and it works beautifully. I just use hot water and soft cloth to clean it and no problems at all.I season all my non-stick cookware this way using a thin coating and paper towel.

Old 01-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
Branson Mom
Just me

I haven't used our cast iron cookware in years. Last thing I seasoned was a wok in 1987! Lol!

Here are some sites that may help!

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html
http://www.dutchovencookware.com/lodge-cookware.html
Old 01-16-2004, 10:32 AM   #5
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

I am OLD, my Cast Iron Frying Pans are OLD.......not crusty tho....but seasoned.

The best stuff, I was told, by my deceased MotherInLaw, Bless Her Heart.........was LARD.

If you need flavor....a spoon of bacon grease, with the Lard.....then only wipe out the skillets with cheese cloth....and put a new clean cheesecloth in the bottom of skillet.....til you use it again.....so the flys dont lite on it?...roflol....I dont know.....

I was appalled the first time she told me she never washed her skillets in soapy water..........????????......gag, I thot, as a younger housewife..........but we've never gotten sick from anything fried, or simmered in those pans.......

My corn bread pan, can make cornbread on top of the stove, or in the oven......it gets wiped out with a very lardy papertowel now....and I drop a cheese cloth...(old tea towel really)....in the bottom, and put it back in a cold oven, til I use it again.

If you use BACON GREASE, as your oil of preference......make sure it is strained though a sieve, with a strainer as small as your tea strainer.......do not use your tea strainer tho.....you will never get it totally free of the grease, and your tea will become STRANGE.

Best advice this old lady can give you is LARD.

Now if you raise your own hawgs, , and render your own Lard....it must be strained many many times, to get out the cracklin's and the hawg hair.........but it's really the best.
A strainer is not good enough for this process tho.....strain through a cheesecloth......when the lard is HOT....or it will congeal and stick in the cloth.......you will need a good supply of the cloths.......after you strain.....you can scrape the cloth, and then just toss the cloth....well I would anyway.

I used the old JELLY STRAINING CHEESECLOTHS, to render the pure lard.

Sometimes you can find someone at the Local Sale Barn, who is rendering their own, these days.

And you can purchase LARD next to the Chrisco and etc....at the super market.

Last edited by Cheesecake; 01-16-2004 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
flyfishinggolfer
Ultra Member

I thank each and everyone of you. Fly.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:30 PM   #7
ggh
Super User

Getting cast iron seasoned is the hard part - keeping it that way is easy. The old handme down cast iron I have is MUCH easier to keep seasoned than the stuff I've bought to replace the pieces I've handed down.

If it's not seasoned - give it a good coat of oil/crisco or lard, and bake it overnight at a low temp - then, as you use it, reapply a small amount of oil/crisco/lard after washing it. Also - when you get ready to use it, get it HOT, add a touch of oil, and then use the pan to cook in - don't try to cook in it until the cast iron is hot, that way nothing will stick.

I do wash mine in hot soapy dish water - I expect I get by with using soap since I usually lightly apply some oil after washing (I sit it on a hot burner, so it will dry quickly, and then apply a touch of oil). I also use a rubber scraper to clean off anything that sits for long.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:29 AM   #8
flyfishinggolfer
Ultra Member

GGh, a fella at Cabella's was telling about the "art" of seasoning and reseasoning after use. You made it pretty clear. I learned to change one thing... will now wait until the pan is hot before I put the food on it. Also, I will dry it over a burner with a little oil. Thank you very much, all of you. Fly.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:42 PM   #9
nohona
Ultra Member

I do the same as GGH. Also, once a year when burning brush take them out and throw them in the bonfire. Gets them clean as a whistle. Might not work for everyone but does for me. These have been handed down for years on end and hasn't hurt them yet.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:51 PM   #10
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

nohona.......I wanted to say I did that....but, didnt know if I should......

Thats why they are such clean pans........

We have an old smoke house, here, up by the old house, and chicken house......I found many many old rusty nasty looking pans.....I thot well...maybe I would give them away....they all said Griswald.......they were in good shape, except for the oxidation.....

Hubby took them, and set them out in a little brush pile he built....just for that purpose.....I THOT HE WAS NUTS.....so many things I learned from him.....about old country ways......

Before that, I used an electric frying pan, with non stick....hehe.

That was 28 years ago.

I still have those pans.........

* and my non stick new ones too......
Old 01-18-2004, 12:16 AM   #11
soonermagic31

Nothing like cobbler made in cast iron umm ummm good !!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 07:02 AM   #12
flyfishinggolfer
Ultra Member

Unfortunately, here in the "city" I cannot access nor create a brushpile. But, on my next camping trip, I will put it on the fire on the last day. Whatta helpful website!!!! I found a great site about lodgestone cookware and I learned very useful seasoning and cleaning tips. Thanks again to all of you. Fly.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:20 AM   #13
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

FLY FLY FLY.....that is such a thot......I forgot about the fact that everyone doesnt live out in the sticks like me or nohona......roflol.

Visual:.....making a brush pile in my Mother's backyard, on the decorative rocks, in sunny California, where you cant even smoke a ciggy outside.....and tossing her old pans in the flames........

Then.......more visual.......one of those neighbors who are as close as that privacy fence, snooping from the other side......wondering what Im burning......roflolol.

Then it even got funnier.......actually in my Mom's neighborhood, there is probably only two ladies who actually COOK.....the rest is Meals on Wheels Delivery (Im sure they used to use iron pans).....and, the Domino's Pizza Delivery guy, who isnt Italian....but, I still cant understand what he says........

I never even thought that brush fires might not apply.......around here tho.....in the summertime, one doesnt even have to set a brushfire......just wait til someone tosses a ciggy into the road ditch......instant grass fire.......

Boy can I ever get off topic.........story of my life......roflol
Old 01-18-2004, 09:15 PM   #14
nohona
Ultra Member

Well, let's see now, before moving back to the Ozarks there was always that helpful kitchen grease fire that would burn the kitchen up - down whatever. First the son does it then a few years later the daughter-in-law does it. Sure left those cast iron skillets clean. What a way to meet all those handsome firemen. Drool...drool...drool. When my Mother lived there with me she would fall quite often and of course I had no option other than to call the firemen. They would drive by the house every day.

Yes, Cheese, we do get off the subject...but boy what memories.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:42 PM   #15
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

The memories......whoaaaaaa......some I cant even tell in here....

But, I remember the case of the IRON SKILLET, in about 1965.

The place was at the Sonora Pass, up in the Sierra Nevada Range....Up way past Columbia where they made some made for TV Cowboy show, with Barbara Stanwick.....anyone remember that one?

Well anyway.....we went there with the Folks and Family from Sonora, and the Sheriff's posse.....to have a trail ride and a week of camping and living OFF THE LAND. Whewwwwwww....I was never a camper, but I was in the minority...so I had to go...and RUFF IT.

We had tents and porta potties.....and little kids with sand in their hair.......and water from the _______River?.....some fork,....ummm.

It was rushing water....well....errrrrrr.....white water..all you had to do was dangle your screaming kid in there for 2 seconds...and he/she was clean as a whistle......blue too.

I hated camp cooking, and the mess, and the lack of good places to hook up your dishwasher, and your shower and bath tub....I hated it.....but, I did go....and the kids loved it.........if they only knew how hard, it was to watch them every single minute, and still let them have a good time.

The Skillet was part of the junk we kept in the box, just for camping.....it was a 12 incher.....almost too heavy for me to even lift....but once on the coleman stove or on the dumb rack built to stand in the fire....it did a fine job with bacon and eggs.....or a steak.

We had FISH....one night....a pan full......someone said, you gotta wash that pan, cause our eggs will sure taste like supper, in the morning........some old boy scout suggested rubbing it in the sand......then with a wet rag......gotta be careful with that grease tho, with the fish flavor......you dump that on the ground, and from nowhere comes some hugh ants....that bite HARD.......so....I thot.....dangerous thing.....thinkin again.......so I thot.....Ill wash it out in the river........which wasnt 30 feet away......

I carefully carried that heavy skillet with the grease......going to dump it in the water......then let that rushing water take the smell off..................wanna bet?.......In a blink of an eye the grease was gone..........hmmmmmmm.....and so was the skillet.

Someone downstream, doing whatever one does down stream, probably got smacked good by one large skillet......and greasy water............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Then someone suggested....putting it in the fire....

I suppose that pan didnt go down the river.....now that I think of it.....why didnt anyone else think of it?......it was so heavy it probably was and still is........just under the white water....like an anchor......

Last edited by Cheesecake; 01-18-2004 at 09:49 PM.

Closed Thread