1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Busted on Table Rock Lake

DW and I figured there would be about a 1/2 day of peaceful boating before the Labor Day craziness begins. That 1/2 day would be this morning.
We headed down to Rays Donuts for breakfast vittles. They had a young lady on the sidewalk flashing motorists (with a Ray's sign) to draw in a bit more business. At about 8AM they still had a decent selection, so we grabbed a bag and headed for the lake.
Pulling out of the marina it was clear that our plan to be alone was working. As far as the eye could see there was only one other boat. We headed for the cove across the lake from the Belle, cut the motor and started to eat.
After about one bite we noticed a boat headed our way at a high speed--a boat with flashing blue lights. [Insert your own lame cop/donut jokes here] Looking around I still only saw one other boat so I figured if they were looking for someone it had to be us or the other guy who was now moving away. A little beep on the siren confirmed it was us.
So The Coast Guard Patrol pulls along side and tells us they are going to board for a document and equipment inspection.
Picutre ID's please---ummm, no, just copies. DW has hers..that works.
Where's the throwable preserver?
Right here in this compartment.
Wrong--Needs to be readily available to throw.
Things go quite well from there and I end up with a passing grade and a piece of paper that exempts me from this stuff for a year..Priceless.
Meanwhile the boat had departed to pursue the other boat, so we had some time for idle chatter with the inspectors . This crew will be here all weekend and probably will be a whole lot busier. In fact, by the time they departed, the lake had gotten much busier.
I was totally impressed with the professionalism and courtesy exhibted by these folks and am quite happy they are here to keep things on TRL sane.
The only negative thing I have to say is that as professional as these guys were/are, at least two of them knew absolutely nothing about college football teams.

Later on, we checked out the Majestic, and as you can see, it is really coming along.

Lake temp at the 6 foot level==82, with an air temp of 84...Both at 9:30 AM.

Never let yesterday use up too much of today..

Last edited by DalmatianDad; 08-30-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

Cool story, DD!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Thanks, never been checked by the Coast Guard. Just Missouri water Patrol. Pretty much same inspection.
I know I need to replace my engine compartment blower hose before they nail me on it. Also, I wonder if the USCG is as forgiving as the Water Patrol on my muffler less through the hull exhausts? The Water Patrol is pretty used to inboard jets, and usually don't make a stink about the noise unless you're doing something stupid.
Good reminder for all boaters, the throwable life preserver cannot be inside a storage compartment!
I keep one under the passenger side console with some Velcro fastened to the bulkhead wrapped around the straps to prevent it from blowing out, yet it can be pulled right out of the storage location.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
zalo9
Your message here, $5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Thanks, never been checked by the Coast Guard. Just Missouri water Patrol. Pretty much same inspection.
I know I need to replace my engine compartment blower hose before they nail me on it. Also, I wonder if the USCG is as forgiving as the Water Patrol on my muffler less through the hull exhausts? The Water Patrol is pretty used to inboard jets, and usually don't make a stink about the noise unless you're doing something stupid.
Good reminder for all boaters, the throwable life preserver cannot be inside a storage compartment!
I keep one under the passenger side console with some Velcro fastened to the bulkhead wrapped around the straps to prevent it from blowing out, yet it can be pulled right out of the storage location.
MO RSS 306.147.2
Effective January 1, 1996, a person shall not manufacture, sell or offer for sale or operate in this state any motorboat manufactured after that date that exceeds the noise level of 90dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005. All motorboats manufactured prior to January 1, 1996, shall not exceed eighty-six decibels on an A-weighted scale when subjected to a sound level test as prescribed by SAE J34 when measured from a distance of fifty or more feet from the motorboat.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
with some Velcro fastened to the bulkhead wrapped around the straps to prevent it from blowing out
I just hate it when my Velcro fails & my bulkhead blows out, especially when I'm out in public.....
Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalo9 View Post
MO RSS 306.147.2
Effective January 1, 1996, a person shall not manufacture, sell or offer for sale or operate in this state any motorboat manufactured after that date that exceeds the noise level of 90dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005. All motorboats manufactured prior to January 1, 1996, shall not exceed eighty-six decibels on an A-weighted scale when subjected to a sound level test as prescribed by SAE J34 when measured from a distance of fifty or more feet from the motorboat.
Yup, I know. Been on lakes and rivers in Missouri, Illinois, and Arkansas without a problem, but they probably could write a ticket. Don't know of many inboard V8 powered jet boats that have mufflers.
I had somebody try to tell me throwing a 200 foot rooster tail was a violation as well when he saw pictures of my boat doing It. I asked a Water Patrol officer who said "no, but we could probably write up any jet boat if we wanted to for noise. We just don't unless they are doing something else wrong."
It would take a real equine posterior to write somebody up for a cool sounding boat!
Old 08-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
zalo9
Your message here, $5.

Quote:
Yup, I know. Been on lakes and rivers in Missouri, Illinois, and Arkansas without a problem, but they probably could write a ticket. Don't know of many inboard V8 powered jet boats that have mufflers.
I had somebody try to tell me throwing a 200 foot rooster tail was a violation as well when he saw pictures of my boat doing It. I asked a Water Patrol officer who said "no, but we could probably write up any jet boat if we wanted to for noise. We just don't unless they are doing something else wrong."
It would take a real equine posterior to write somebody up for a cool sounding boat!
Let me know the next time you are running it near point 1. I want to go out on my deck and have a look & listen.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

That tattoo's gorilla is a total disgrace to his profession, unless they, like a growing majority of "law ENFORCEMENT" (former peace officer) departments are hiring thugs and 'roided up gang bangers for the intimidation factor of the people they supposedly serve.
What a low life image he gives to the Coast Guard. Hopefully a superior officer will notice this photo and put this guy back out on the street where he belongs.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftsaidted View Post
That tattoo's gorilla is a total disgrace to his profession, unless they, like a growing majority of "law ENFORCEMENT" (former peace officer) departments are hiring thugs and 'roided up gang bangers for the intimidation factor of the people they supposedly serve.
What a low life image he gives to the Coast Guard. Hopefully a superior officer will notice this photo and put this guy back out on the street where he belongs.
Ohhhhh lighten up! Tattoos are certainly not "my thing"; & I have told my gr ch what will happen if they get tattoos while I am alive.....

Tattoos don't make the person. Military people have been getting tattoos, as a "rite of passage" for hundreds of years.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalo9 View Post
Let me know the next time you are running it near point 1. I want to go out on my deck and have a look & listen.
I'm sure you've heard a single engine Baja, Scarab, Fountain, etc with thru the hull exhausts. Pretty much the same sound.
I've had people tell me how surprised they were when they heard me coming, thinking it was one of those "big boats", only to see a 20' bass boat come around the point. LOL

Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
CoastieWife

Quote:
Disgrace to his profession? A thug? I would love some clarification on this persons tattoos as to why it makes him a thug? If someone has a tattoo that doesn’t show, does that make them a “sort of thug”? Because according to your observation it can’t be the ink that makes a person a thug, it is a tattoo that shows. There must be many thugs in this world especially “tramp stamp thugs”. I am being facetious if you are not catching that, as I assume you may not since you have no common sense.
“Intimidation Factor”, I find this humorous as his tattoo is not intimidating. I have seen several tattoos and never saw one that intimidated me; I guess maybe I am a little more confident than you. Now let me ask, if this intimidates you what if he had a Care Bear on his arm, not the grumpy one because he is intimidating but the one with a rainbow on his belly, would that be acceptable because I don’t recall there being a “Care Bear Thug Gang”?
As my username shows, if you even looked, you can tell that I am a wife of a Coastie. For the record, this is not my husband. I will defend any Coastie that does not know they are being bashed for something so insignificant. I am sure his superior was on the boat with him or within the area. Having a tattoo does not make you a bad person, having an attitude likes yours does.

P.S. I hope you find respect for others that are different as people like you make this world suck!
If you choose to respond I would love for you to answer my questions with a logical, educated and thought out answer. Thank you for your time.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
CoastieWife

Original Poster

I wanted to say thank you for recognizing these men and the great job they do. They are all nice and normally don't write anyone a citation unless it is completely necessary. I do know from experience!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
kstater1997
Ultra Member

Quote:
A little harsh aren't you...
Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Don't know if I would be intimidated by a Coast Guardsman with a Care Bear tattoo, but one with a Hello Kitty tattoo would scare the bejeebers out of me!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

Yes, Coastiewife, I will gladly respond to your defending the indefensible, that of blatant unprofessional attire. A thug is a thug. Any time law officers put on symbols that are similar to gang banger markings, it associates them with these lowlifes. And that is what this coast guard "thug" reminds me of, and I don't care if you like it or not. Anyone who has spent time in large inner cities knows what these tattoos symbolize, and what type of person covers their body with them, in their quest of "gang" family acceptance and showing of solidarity with such.
As far as servicemen for years having gotten tattoo's, you cannot in any way draw a parallel between a Navy sailor's "anchor" or "babe" tattoo, and these modern day gang banger look alike tattoo's. There is NO similarity what so ever. The PD's are accepting more and more of the "thug" mentality in their ever escalating war on "The People", and these type are easily spotted via their gangsta markings.
In short, there is a proper acceptable and PROFESSIONAL personal grooming standards, and this particular individual violated that basic tenant. If he wants to mutilate his body with this gangsta wannabe ink, he should be forced to cover them up with arm sleeves. Anything less is total UNPROFESSIONAL.

Closed Thread