1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

BPS Courtesy Dock...No More!

I heard from someone that works at the Branson Bass Pro Shops that the dock damaged by the floods this spring will not be replaced. Supposedly the cost to operate the dock didn't justify the expenses because they didn't have that much business. Too bad, I was one who used the dock, bought fuel, and snacks there, and enjoyed it being there for the convince of docking there to go to the Landing for a quick lunch while I was out on the lake.
I hope Branson Landing, BPS, or someone else decides to put another public dock there again.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
bransonframer
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Supposedly the cost to operate the dock didn't justify the expenses because they didn't have that much business.
So, it's not a viable, sustaining business decision to operate one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
I hope Branson Landing, BPS, or someone else decides to put another public dock there again.
It sounds as if they were to put one in again, it would have to be a money losing proposition. Of course, the city will probably hear your cry and set up a TIF district to subsidize one.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

The dock at Dewey Short has been MIA since last Spring also.
Hopefully they will have one when the new center opens...

Never let yesterday use up too much of today..
Old 01-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Even if it isn't a manned dock, you would think the landing would want a place for people to come in off the lake. Guess with things like a Hilton hotel, and some of the shops in the place, they don't want to cater to the fishing rif raf from the lake. Now if were full of high dollar boats like Sewer of the Ozarks!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

There were a couple of articles about the damaged dock and its future in the Branson Tri-Lakes News and on the Hometown Radio site. What ever happened with Gage marina (adjacent to Shorty Smalls and other small businesses) at the Landing?

Here's one story from Hometown Radio:
http://www.krzkradio.com/8561/damage...be_issued.html

Last edited by biscuitcreek; 01-02-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: add link
Old 01-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Gilligan
Ultra Member

That is truly a bummer about BPS dock. I didn't realize it was open to the public. That might be why it wasn't used much - I'm not the only one who thought it was built for private clientele as I've had conversations with others about it. This spring it will be a double bummer because I plan to use my newly acquired fishing boat on Taneycomo. Finally figured out how to catch a few trout and caught the fever!!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

There is still Scotty's Trout Dock for fuel, and snacks. It was just nice to have something at the landing. I thought there was another dock on the other end of the Landing, but I thought the same about it as you have about the BPS dock. I thought it was a private rental dock. Besides, it's on the opposite end of the Landing from Garfields!!!
Glad to hear you're catching the trout bug. I started fishing Tany 20 years ago, and it's about the only place I go now.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Barefoot Eddie

The Courtesy Dock at the Dewey Short Center will be back this Spring. It was damaged last year in the same storm that grounded the Branson Belle, but has been repaired and will return for the new DSC which is scheduled to open the end of April.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Eddie View Post
The Courtesy Dock at the Dewey Short Center will be back this Spring. It was damaged last year in the same storm that grounded the Branson Belle, but has been repaired and will return for the new DSC which is scheduled to open the end of April.
Thanks for that info...Good news.

Never let yesterday use up too much of today..
Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Can't you just tie your boat to the sidewalk or some of those fishing docks?
Don't know if they would allow tying up to the sidewalk railing, and as I remember the seawall is pretty tall along them anyway. I don't want to take up room for the fishermen on the fishing docks.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
JackPurvis
Ultra Member

Landing Dock

I was under the impression that the BPS dock was boing to be a sales platform for interested boat buyers and fly fishing/trout fishing sports folks.

So...Josey how does your new boat ride? Congratulations.....have fun....be safe.
MAKE it a great day
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I was under the impression that the BPS dock was boing to be a sales platform for interested boat buyers and fly fishing/trout fishing sports folks.
As I heard it the big plans never worked out. there wasn't enough interest in test driving boats on Taneycomo, and there never was very many models there to test. Just operating the dock for fuel, and snacks didn't make enough to pay the employees to man the operation.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
TJefferson
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransonframer View Post
Never underestimate the power of creative finance and Keynesian Economics!
I don't even watch the Keynesian's tv show. I liked Bruce when he was on the Wheaties box though.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
TJefferson
Super Ultra Member

I think the thought about the dock not working out cause of all the "tire kickers" is right though. I eat lunch quite often with some of the boat salesmen and have heard a lot of "comments" about people just killing time while wives and kids shop. I believe they tried the appointment route as an attempt to weed out the serious from the time killers but I spose it's tough to do when you have so many people just hanging out.

It was fun watching the number of boats that would pull up to the wreck out there this summer though. Guys would walk around scratching their heads looking at the gas pump, looking in the windows all

Closed Thread