1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

trout fishing

We are headed up to Branson in about 2 and half weeks. Normally I don't fish on vacation unless I am staying at Roaring River, but this year I want to take my wife trout fishing for the first time. Can anyone tell me the best tackle to use on Taneycomo? I've only fished for trout at Roaring River, and I used artificial trout eggs and rooster tails. Not sure if the trout where we will be fishing prefer top water or not. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Hollywood
Administrator

This is a good site where local guides post what baits seem to be working on area lakes throughout the year.

http://fishing.branson.com/category/...o-fly-fishing/

Last edited by Hollywood; 06-20-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
SemperFly
Super Ultra Member

depends on where you are going to be fishing.
if you are fishing above fall creek, you can only use artifical flies and lures and there are strict limits on size.

if you are fishing below fall creek, use whatever you like.
usually top water is not very productive

power bait, night crawlers work well. also little jakes, little cleos and rapalas are good

if you are fly fishing...scuds, woolly buggers, san juan worms, egg patterns and zebra midges are most productive

Last edited by SemperFly; 06-21-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Lots of productive places, and ways to catch trout in Taneycomo. Some more information could be helpful. Are you going to be fishing from a boat, from the bank, or wade fishing. The opportunities to wade fish are pretty much limited to the trophy area above Fall Creek. Also are subject to current produced by the power generation at Table Rock dam.
The first 3 miles of Table Rock tail water from the dam to Fall Creek the designated trophy area. Artificial lures only. No "soft" or scented baits. There is a 12-20 inch slot limit where only fish less than 12" or more than 20" can be kept. Most wade fishing in that area is done by fly fishermen, however, Rooster Tails can be productive along with Little Cleo's, Little Jake's Spin-A-Lures, Rapalas, and Rouges.
Above all though, small jigs in of 3/32 to 1/8 ounce bounced along the bottom, or micro jigs 1/80 to 1/250 ounce under a float are the most productive lures anywhere in the lake. Olive, scuplin, ginger brown pink or white, and combinations of those colors are all good.
From a boat with the generators running Berkley Gulp eggs on a drift rig using one white egg, and one egg of another color can put a lot of fish in the boat. Use enough weight on the drift rig to keep it bouncing off the bottom while the power bait floats above. Night crawlers rigged in the same way will also produce fish, and tends to catch a little larger ones.
Keep your line to a maximum of 4#, and 2# is even better. A light, or medium light rod of at least 6' and spinning reel with a good drag is ideal equipment.
I can give you better ideas of where to fish if I know weather you are plannint to fish from a boat or bank. I can't help you much with fly fishing, or wading the upper area. Here is a link to a forum with a lot of good information on Taneycomo. http://ozarkanglers.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4

A few of last year's catch! Displayed on a 20" keeper board.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

we'll be staying at Pointe Royale at one of the condos. I just want a good place I can take a short walk or ride early in the morning or later in the afternoon. I only catch and release, so I don't have to worry about the size limits. Just somewhere close to the condo I can get some R&R fishing in.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

If the water's off or running gently you are in luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireInTheHole View Post
we'll be staying at Pointe Royale at one of the condos. I just want a good place I can take a short walk or ride early in the morning or later in the afternoon. I only catch and release, so I don't have to worry about the size limits. Just somewhere close to the condo I can get some R&R fishing in.
If the waters off or not running too hard you are staying at a perfect place. Just walk down through their little park area to the lake. You will be right at the narrow across from the island and will have access to some fine wade fishing. If you have time, River Run Outfitters is located about 1 minute away from the Pointe on Highway 165, left out of the gate, and they will be delighted to assist you. Their fly fishing fishing report is published weekly, each Tuesday as part of our Lake Taneycomo Fishing report. Hope you have a great trip.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
we'll be staying at Pointe Royale at one of the condos.
Excellent!!! Several of the fish pictured in my post came from right in front of the Point Royale access. Most from across the lake on the steep bank side, but I have caught a lot of 14-16 inch fish in front of the gravel bar that runs along Point Royale. Note that area is in the restricted trophy zone. 12-20 slot, no live of soft bait. My best luck in that area has been on 3/32 oz PJ's jigs in sculpin, sculpin/olive, olive, or sculpin/ginger.
Stop by Lilley's Landing and pick up a few from their shop. Your Rooster Tails may produce well for you in that area also.
If you read the fishing reports on http://ozarkanglers.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4 The area referred to as "Lookout" is that part of the lake with the high bluff across from Point royale being "Lookout".
Good luck, Bob
Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

could you tell me where to fish at in Pointe Royale? We are staying almost next to the water, but I am not sure if you can fish all over there or they have a specific spot you are allowed.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
could you tell me where to fish at in Pointe Royale? We are staying almost next to the water, but I am not sure if you can fish all over there or they have a specific spot you are allowed.
I'm not sure exactly how to get there from the land, but there is a "public lake access" just up lake from Andy Williams house. I'm sure someone at Point Royale can direct you to it. When they aren't generating a lot at Table Rock you can wade all along the gravel bar on that side of the lake. You could walk up lake to the narrow channel at Lookout Island, and work your way down.
If they are running water hard it is pretty difficult fishing from the bank. The swift current sweeps your lure right to the bank quickly.
If you hear the loud horn blasting from Table Rock dam that is the warning that they are about to start generation. The water will deepen, and get much swifter very quick.
If you are looking for a few for the skillet, you can drive down to the Cooper Creek Public Access off of Fall Creek Rd. There is a good fishing dock there, and many fish are caught from it. Mostly stocker sized, but the State record Brown came from very near that area a couple years ago. On power bait!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

I think I will go with 1/8 oz rooster tails and maybe a small crank bait as well. Can I use football jigs in that area?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I think I will go with 1/8 oz rooster tails and maybe a small crank bait as well. Can I use football jigs in that area?
Jigs are fine in that area, Not only fine as far as being legal, they are fine as far as being probably the best lure you can use. Check that Ozarkanglers.com link I gave you earlier for some recent reports about that area, and jigs. Especially about the young boy fishing off Phil's dock with bait, not catching anything, then Phil took him up to Lookout and taught him how to jig fish. When he got back to the resort he went back to fishing off the dock, and started catching fish there. He now says he will never fish with anything else!

http://ozarkanglers.com/forums/index...howtopic=29164

Quote:
A young man on the dock was fishing with his grandpa. He was a little put out that I'd caught so many big fish in a short time and he had been fishing all day and not done as well. So I asked if he wanted to learn. He and his grandpa jumped in the boat and we headed to Lookout.

I'll have to get alittle more info on the pair. They are regular guests but their last name eludes me. Vaughn is the boy's name and they're from O'Fallon, Missouri.

Anyway, I explained what I knew about fishing jigs, the main thing was you lose jigs under and over the water and it takes time so don't get frustrated. Vaughn lost one jig, I lost 3. And Vaughn caught several trout, missed a few strikes. But the main thing is he casted very well, worked the jig and felt the strikes- set the hook. I think he's going to make a fine jig fisherman. He informed his grandma, once back at the dock. that he would never use that bait-stuff again. Within in 5 minutes, he was reeling in a rainbows from off the dock.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

A little more helpful information. You can go to South West Power's website for generation schedules to help plan your fishing time. Choose the day on the left side of the page, then look at TRD in the table. It gives you the time from 1 to 24 hours, and the amount of power scheduled to be generated. On the lower table you will see that Table Rock Dam has a maximum capacity of 230 MW with all 4 units running. this will give you some relative idea of how much water will be flowing, and how swift the current will be.
http://www.swpa.gov/generationschedules.aspx

You can also call 866 494 1993 for a recorder schedule. Just follow the voice prompts.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

oh that's great information thanks! I def want to be jigging in slower water for sure. I grabbed some 1/8 rooster tails and 1/8 brown to light brown jigs here from the local Academy in TX. I think those will get me started until I can get up there and maybe find some new stuff to use. One more question I do have, can you 24 hours a day there? The reason I ask, is that I've only fished for trout at Roaring River, and I do remember there being a horn blow signaling to fish and one at night signaling you had to stop. Not sure if that translates to the lakes or not. Thanks for the tips. Maybe I can see some of you guys on the water while I'm there!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

There is no time restriction on Taneycomo. In fact, fly-fishing below Table Rock dam is an absolute favorite for many. There is even a guide that specializes in night fly-fishing. There are some real hogs caught at night. Especially Brown Trout. They tend to be much more nocturnal than the bows.
Some of the best trout jigs I have used, and the ones responsible for all the fish I posted earlier are from PJ's. They are available on line, or Phil has them in the shop at Lilley's Landing. Unless you are buying a dozen, dozen, or so with shipping they are probably a little cheaper at Lilley's. $1.00 ea.
http://www.ejigs.com/Files/Product/Trout_1072/
The jig head on the PJ's are "flattened" in line with the hook, unlike the sideways shape of the football jig. They have a unique fall, and have worked quite well for me. The main thing with any jig is keeping it on and near the bottom. Just drag it along the bottom, and give it a few slight hops. Even a micro jig under a float needs to be close to the bottom. the only exception is in the early morning, or late evening when the trout are "midging" on the surface. A micro jig a foot or so under a float can produce quite a few fish at that time.
If I wasn't still recovering from hip replacement surgery I would be down there now because the fishing has been great. Too bad, if I could make it when you are going to be there I'd try to hook up with you, get you in the Gator, and try to put you on some big ole goodin's.
Good luck, and I'm sure you'll catch enough to make it interesting.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

i'll post some pics to let you see my status. Yeah that would have been great to get out there on the water. We are going to try to come up again in the fall, so maybe if you are up to it then, we can hook up and get er done. I usually wake up around 4 am for work, so I will just let the wife sleep in and get a few hours of fishing in.

Closed Thread