1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
flyfishinggolfer
Ultra Member

Golf marshall

After a full morning of outstanding fly fishing three of us headed to the golf course. One of us had never played the Pointe Royale course. I have always enjoyed it. Jack was struggling with his first round of the year. On the par three, #8, he was so focused on his game that he took his cart off the path. It was almost comical as he drove past the "Carts on Path Only This Hole" sign. Randy and I joked at him about what he'd done. He is a very courteous golfer and always minds the course. He had a stunned look on his face, like a guy who'd ran a stop sign. Before he could get his cart back on the path, the golfers behind us yelled at him. I guess they called the marshall because he waiting for us on the hill on the 9th fairway. The marshall lit into me, the one who'd stayed on the path. I was not about to dime out my friend, but I thought we'd get a courteous reminder to obey the signs. In a very nasty tone he told us to keep our carts on the path on par 3s. I said, "OK." What else did he want to hear? Also, why single me out, when I had followed the rules. Then he made a very smart alecky response, "OK?" and glares at me. It was the kind of look you normally slap off a man's face. We always golf as gentlemen, not loud, shirts on, follow rules, replace divots, no club throwing...just a lot of laughing.
In my years of going to Branson, he was first rude employee I had ever met. The next day we golfed Thousand Hills. My friends vowed to never play the Pointe again.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Ms_Terese
Local Member

You should send an email to Point Royale with a link to this thread. That's not acceptable behavior, but if you don't tell management, they can't fix it.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
lindiet
Super Ultra Member

flyfishinggolfer,
I am truly sorry this happened to your group. I live at Pointe Royale and know that it was wrong to treat you and your friends that way on our course. Of course there are rules on a golf course and one of them is that some holes are "Cart Path Only" but new golfers don't always remember or even know every single rule. I am sorry he had to learn this one the hard way and I am also sorry that you seemed to be singled out to get the tongue lashing. I know you probably won't call our General Manager but I think it would help if you did. PM me if you would like his telephone number or email address. In any event, I sent him a link to your post because I really feel you were treated badly and for that I apologize for my community. I really hope you will reconsider and come back to play on the Pointe Royale golf course.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
ggh
Super User

With the number of places to golf in the area, and the prices they charge, the customer will find another place to golf when treated negatively.

Our hometown golf course charges reasonable rates, and the members fees are pretty normal/reasonable but the members have always been so exclusive on the course that it turns others off. Now, they're wondering why, with all the improvements over the past few years, that they don't have enough members to support their nice new clubhouse, and they're ignorant as to why they can't get new members.

It's about 3 miles from my house, yet dh, who is recently playing a couple rounds a week, hasn't even been to their driving range in the past year - instead he drives (and will continue to), 30-45 miles to play on course who appreciate his business.

Everyone from the Golf Marshall to the cart boy needs to be VERY aware that their attitude can put an abrupt stop to their careers.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
flyfishinggolfer
Ultra Member

The Marshall

Thank you all. I did call the clubhouse Monday morning before I headed into work. I wanted to cool off. The person I talked to said he'd talk to the marshall. Marshalls are volunteers and a good marshall is always appreciated, but....With the exception of Memorial Day, we always stay at PR. We make 4-5 trips a year to Branson. I will play it this summer with my family. But that experience leaves a taste in your mouth.

Fly
Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
lindiet
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishinggolfer View Post
Thank you all. I did call the clubhouse Monday morning before I headed into work. I wanted to cool off. The person I talked to said he'd talk to the marshall. Marshalls are volunteers and a good marshall is always appreciated, but....With the exception of Memorial Day, we always stay at PR. We make 4-5 trips a year to Branson. I will play it this summer with my family. But that experience leaves a taste in your mouth.

Fly
Thank you for following up and calling the clubhouse. I am happy you are willing to play the course again. That's all we can ask for...another chance to give you a better experience.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
LAURIEB
resident

"here's the rest of the story".

What this individual forgot to mention they were caught on several golf holes off the cart path, including par 3's where its typically cart path only.

Its possible the Marshall may have been stern however when you remind the same party to stay on the cart path several times and they go where they please, sometimes they have to be told to adhere to the rules of play or they will be asked to leave.
=================
Old 04-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Speaking of rude at the Pointe..The prime reason we don't live there is because of an encounter we had with a very unprofessional gate guard when we were trying to get in to look at a house.
We just went on to the next house on the list and never had occasion to bother with the pointe again.
Yes I tried to call the manager (for two days) and finally left a message I assume was ignored.

One thought about volunteers with some form of enforcement authority---from much personal experience, they are often very damaging to the cause in question due to poor training and professionalism...Just saying

Never let yesterday use up too much of today..

Last edited by DalmatianDad; 04-06-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAURIEB View Post
What this individual forgot to mention they were caught on several golf holes off the cart path, including par 3's where its typically cart path only.

Its possible the Marshall may have been stern however when you remind the same party to stay on the cart path several times and they go where they please, sometimes they have to be told to adhere to the rules of play or they will be asked to leave.
I think this post just firmed up dh's resolution to spend his money on any course, but PR in Branson.

Sounds like a case where golf etiquette by the player AND the Marshall might have been ignored.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
The best marshall is one you see quite frequently and never says anything more than, "How ya doin'? Havin' a good time?" Strange, most golfers answer that with, "Yeah. How are we doin'?"
Bingo! One thing leads to another..

Never let yesterday use up too much of today..
Old 04-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #11
flyfishinggolfer
Ultra Member

The rest of story

LaurieB. The rest of your story is inaccurate. We followed the 90 degree rule on the front 9. Hole 8 was the only hole where one of our group wasn't thinking and I admitted that he drove off the cart path on that hole, a par 3. On the back 9 we never left the cart path.

When we came into the pro shop after our round to buy some clothing, the marshall was sitting at a table talking to another person. He looked up, saw us, and hastily left out the front door. I bought a towel and coffee mug. Later we sat in Francisco's and had a couple beers. I'd say the 3 of us spent over $150 at the Pointe that day. In spite of the marshall.

If you don't want non members on the course, then vote to make it exclusive and private. Our money will spend anywhere. Also, if you wish, I will pass it along to my golfing friends in the KC area to avoid the Pointe when they visit Branson.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #12
flyfishinggolfer
Ultra Member

The group behind us

You are right NotLBJ, it was the couple behind us. We knew they were members by the cart they were driving. I advised my friends that a lot of members most likely live around the course. Earlier, we invited one couple to play through on #2. On #6, one drive went out of bounds into a yard. We saw the ball but left it. I have no complaint with them calling in. They saw an infraction. I am saying there were much better ways to handle the situation.

I play the Pointe every trip to Branson, weather permitting. This time I brought more players with me. More money. We intended to play Sunday after we checked out of the condo. But, decided that Thousand Hills might be a bit friendlier.

Fly
Old 04-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
lindiet
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishinggolfer View Post
When we came into the pro shop after our round to buy some clothing, the marshall was sitting at a table talking to another person. He looked up, saw us, and hastily left out the front door. I bought a towel and coffee mug. Later we sat in Francisco's and had a couple beers. I'd say the 3 of us spent over $150 at the Pointe that day. In spite of the marshall.

If you don't want non members on the course, then vote to make it exclusive and private. Our money will spend anywhere. Also, if you wish, I will pass it along to my golfing friends in the KC area to avoid the Pointe when they visit Branson.
Sorry this seems to be going viral but as I said earlier...I am sorry this was a bad experience. My DH golfs PR usually 3 times a week as a resident and I have also golfed here (not right now due to back issues) and most residents are happy to see outside golfers on our course. I have often heard a resident thank the outside visitors for playing our course. Please don't turn this into a "HATE" PR golf course on a public forum. I believe what happened was an isolated incident. Fly I appreciate you golfing here and spending your hard earned dollars at our clubhouse and restaurant.

Last edited by lindiet; 04-07-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Closed Thread