1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #91
Tyann
Love My Vacation House!

Our first earthcache and our first international cache! We had to find this shipwreck in the Dominican Republic:

Old 03-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #92
ozarkman
Living the Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyann View Post
Our first earthcache and our first international cache! We had to find this shipwreck in the Dominican Republic:
That's great! I'd love to find one in another country! It would be neat to plan to find a milestone cache overseas. Maybe for my 1000th!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #93
ozarkman
Living the Dream!

Congratulations to Mr. And Mrs. Preacherman for finding their 200th cache! I think it's great you two are getting out there as a couple. The best part is spending time together doing something you love!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #94
OzarkNurse
Wife of Ozarkman

I am looking forward to when we can go caching on vacation when the boys get a little older. It's so hard right now with the baby to lug him around on the trails and in and out of his carseat. Hey Ozarkman, maybe when we're older we can go for the international caches.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #95
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkman View Post
Congratulations to Mr. And Mrs. Preacherman for finding their 200th cache! I think it's great you two are getting out there as a couple. The best part is spending time together doing something you love!
Thanks Ozarkman! You inspired us to get a few more. Yes, this has become a "sport" we enjoy doing together. We are so glad that we were introduced to it here on the board. I see by your profile, you have a goal by the end of the year.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #96
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkNurse View Post
I am looking forward to when we can go caching on vacation when the boys get a little older. It's so hard right now with the baby to lug him around on the trails and in and out of his carseat. Hey Ozarkman, maybe when we're older we can go for the international caches.
Hi OzarkNurse. We have met a couple here in our area with a young one. In fact the day we met them she was at the van with the child and he was a few yards away lookin'. DH helped him. I know they look forward to the time when their child is old enough to walk with them. There are so many families having fun with this.
(For those who don't know, the caches have items in them especially for the children to take and then they leave something for the next searcher as well.)

Hmmm...I wonder what your first international cache will be?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #97
AdairMD
BOOMER SOONER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkNurse View Post
Hey OzarkNurse, thanks for letting OzarkMan cache with me last week. It was fun seeing Branson from a local's point of view.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #98
OzarkNurse
Wife of Ozarkman

No problem, he had a great time and he needed a break from work. He likes showing people around. Glad you had a good time.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #99
Tyann
Love My Vacation House!

"Yeah!" on the 200th cache! We are slowly finding caches. With the 3 boys, we can't do too difficult of terrain or too many in one day. And they can't be too long of a walk since the walk back is the hardest! And there are only 2 or 3 left within 10 miles of our home. But lots yet to find in Branson!

OzarkNurse - our boys are 5, 3, and 1 1/2, and they love finding the treasures with us. We do stick to paved trails for the stroller, or else DH has to carry our little football player.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #100
cjnhrt

My son and I just did our first 3 caches a couple of weeks ago. He is 10 and absolutely loves the adventures! We haven't gotten back out to find more, but there are plenty here to hunt. My DH watches our 1yr old while the DS and I hunt. We can't wait until the baby is old enough to understand that we are hunting a treasure. I can't wait to get back out and hunt more! Maybe one day I will reach 200!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #101
OzarkNurse
Wife of Ozarkman

Quote:
"
OzarkNurse - our boys are 5, 3, and 1 1/2, and they love finding the treasures with us. We do stick to paved trails for the stroller, or else DH has to carry our little football player.
Our boys are 10, 7 and 1 1/2. They love it too. We like to make a day of it so we can stop and picnic and let the baby run for a while. We take the stroller if we can otherwise, DH is haulin the 30 pounder! I can't wait to find some outside of Branson. We went to Colorado last year but we weren't Geocachers yet, I bet we could have found some really cool ones there.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #102
OzarkNurse
Wife of Ozarkman

We have to plan ahead for me to want to go. I'm not a stop and smell the roses kind of person unless I've planned the time. DH likes to stop every small trip we take in the car and I'm a let's just get there kind of girl! Not sure what kind of equipment everyone has, but we have a handheld that has like every geocache in the 4 state area in it so it beeps and alarms every time we get close to one. If it were up to Ozarkman it would take hours for us to get anywhere.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #103
Tyann
Love My Vacation House!

Yeah, I think our 1 1/2 year old weighs as much as our 3 year old, but I have not officially weighed them in quite awhile!

We just have a Garmin made for the car, and then we find the coordinates and switch it to "off-road" when we geocache. We didn't figure out geocaching until after our trip to Gulf Shores, so I looked up the ones we missed, and now I want to go back just to find them! I hope to plan a whole geocaching route for our vacation this year.

Anyone know of a good geocaching Garmin I can pick up secondhand? Or can I download the caches into my 200W?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #104
AdairMD
BOOMER SOONER

Quote:
Yeah, I think our 1 1/2 year old weighs as much as our 3 year old, but I have not officially weighed them in quite awhile!

We just have a Garmin made for the car, and then we find the coordinates and switch it to "off-road" when we geocache. We didn't figure out geocaching until after our trip to Gulf Shores, so I looked up the ones we missed, and now I want to go back just to find them! I hope to plan a whole geocaching route for our vacation this year.

Anyone know of a good geocaching Garmin I can pick up secondhand? Or can I download the caches into my 200W?
I looked a the Garmin website, and it says you can download POI's, which are points of interest's. I was caching with a friend that used his nuvi to get us to a cache location, then used his handheld from there. I don't know exactly how he downloaded the POI's though.

I have a Garmin LegendC, which can hold 500 waypoints. I love it. They don't make just the LegendC's anymore, they now make Legend HC and HXC. I know you can get them at Wal Mart for around $250, but If you look on ebay, I'm sure you can find refurbished ones for a lot cheaper. But if you ahve a Nuvi that can get you to a cache site, you might try just a regular yellow garmin, with no maps, just an arrow, for real cheap, under $100. When I get close to a cache, all I use is the arrow anyway. Here's a link to the yellow garmin at bass pro. I just looked at it, and you can't download waypoints to the yellow, you have to hand enter them.

Hopes this helps. I think if you ask 5 people though, you'll get 4 different answers on which GPSr they like best.

Last edited by AdairMD; 03-24-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #105
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Hey Ozarkman - we see you have a new cache. Looks like one for my old legs and sore feet. Will put that on our list too!

Closed Thread