1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
backrowcenter
Ultra Member

A nice walk....

My bride and I like to walk for exercise. When we walk around the property at Stonebridge I just about have to call an ambulance because the hills are pretty severe and numerous. Today we drove over to Dewey Short Nature Center and walked the trail to State Park which is 1.4 miles one way and then returned. What a nice trail.... it is reasonably level and wanders through woodlands along the shore of TRL. Very nice! The trail continues on over to the marina which adds .8 miles (1.6 miles total) to the trip, but I am going to have to work up to that.

Anyone else know of any nice walking trails in the area?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
bransonframer
Super Ultra Member

There are lots of them around. Ruth and Paul Henning State Forest and the Lakeside Wilderness area are two of the better known ones, but can be a little strenuous. There are others planned for the future. I think one that will go all the way from Skaggs hospital, along Roark Creek and all the way to Reeds Spring, primarily for biking, but walking too.

http://www.bransonparksandrecreation...ls_walking.htm

Try the above address for more information.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
backrowcenter
Ultra Member

And then some.....

Thanks, Bransonframer.... we will give those trails a try. This afternoon we returned to Dewey Short Nature Center and did the whole trail. 2.4 out to the marina and 4.2 miles back. (Well, it seemed like twice as far back as out)

What a great trail! I encourage anyone who likes to walk and doesn't like the up and down of most of the Ozark terrain to give it a try.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
CMI
Dr. Advertiser

I wasn't out today, but I usually jog (very slowly) on that trail and have been for almost 2 years now.

I love it - It is a GREAT stress reliever!! And the people you meet on it are wonderful. I have never had such encouragement than I do from other joggers.

I am the jogging "fat" (over 200) chick. Every body else that jogs is skinny, skinny, skinny!!! So, I really look out of place. I do however wear black so that slims me down. I am real easy to spot

One note of caution - I did GPS on the trail and found out that by the time you get to the Branson Belle sign that shows .6, it is really only .5 miles. I only made it to the State Park sign and that was off almost .2 miles.

So, by my calculations, it is only 2 total miles from Dewey Short to the other end, not 2.2.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
backrowcenter
Ultra Member

To Dr. Advertiser

My wife and I will watch for you. She is blonde and in her sixties and is in much better shape than her husband. I will usually have a Loggers Trail cap on and look like I need to sit down and take a break.

If you see us walking (not jogging!) say howdy. We usually go out mid to late afternoon or so.

Today because of the rain we walked after we ate at Elenitas and we just walked around in our own area. I would have to say that walking after Mexican food isn't such a great idea.

See you on the trail.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
kidfuture
Broker / Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrowcenter View Post
Today we drove over to Dewey Short Nature Center and walked the trail to State Park which is 1.4 miles one way and then returned.

Dennis, good to hear you're enjoying your new Branson surroundings. Check out the trails directly across the street from the Dewey Short entrance. There are awesome lookouts and big rocks you can walk out on that overlook the Taneycomo side of the dam. One of the large flat rocks is locally nicknamed, "the Cloud". Great place to take tourist girls at 1 a.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransonframer View Post
There are lots of them around. Ruth and Paul Henning State Forest...

That's a fun place too bransonframer! Over 1,500 acres available to roam. Check out the overlook tower located on the first trail off to the right. It's about a mile back into the woods and overlooks the 76 Strip. It's COVERED in graffiti and name carvings. It's like reading Branson's history and the dates go way back. It's a fun read. Look for the large carved initials CG+SH 94 on the top platform in the back.

As my mom use to always scold me: "Fools names and fools faces, always found in public places".
Old 05-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

kidfuture
"That's a fun place too bransonframer! Over 1,500 acres available to roam. Check out the overlook tower located on the first trail off to the right. It's about a mile back into the woods and overlooks the 76 Strip. It's COVERED in graffiti and name carvings. It's like reading Branson's history and the dates go way back. It's a fun read. Look for the large carved initials CG+SH ’94 on the top platform in the back."

I couldn't get to the top - dh wasn't too happy with me even going to the 3rd landing. I wanted to try to get a look down into the CC buildings. The sign says only 5 people at a time on it???
Old 05-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
kidfuture
Broker / Realtor

Oh Lynda. Who pays attention to signs?! There have been large parties held on top of that thing. That tower has a LOT of history.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

I'll pass that inside information on to dh - you may of guessed, heights aren't his or his family's favorite thing
Old 05-31-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
backrowcenter
Ultra Member

Whoa... today we did the steps.

We decided to visit the Lakeside Foest Wilderness area today and try their walking trail. This is accessed right behind Dick Clark's theater just a little down the Yellow road and then a very short drive to the parking lot. Very interesting. Someone did an incredible amount of work placing the stone steps down to the grotto. BUT.... I have to share this with you. It was a miracle.... yep, that's what it was. We walked down the 315 steps nearly to water's edge stopping at the Grotto. Not too bad. Now, here is the strange part. Kind of unbelievalbe, really. We retraced our steps back up the climb and I counted 1315 steps. I ask you.... how could this be? I am chalking the whole thing up to a miracle.

The five people you placed those steps some 70 years ago should be placed in Branson's Hall of Fame. And if we don't have a category for that type of accomplishment we should invent one. The Iowegians have a word for that: Ufda!

Anyone with decent mobility and a reasonably sound heart should give this trail a try. It is interesting, quite pretty, and very unbelievably separated from the busy traffic not too far away.

That must have been some kind of home place for the good doctor Owens.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #11
bransonframer
Super Ultra Member

Glad you enjoyed the Lakeside. It's hard to believe something like that is in the middle of everything in Branson. It's also hard to believe how many "locals" don't know it exists.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
backrowcenter
Ultra Member

Well, it isn't really very well-marked

especially the trails. They have a sign but it is a little hard to decipher. A few trail signs would help. It doesn't look like there has been much foot traffic on the trails. It is truly amazing that this wilderness exists so close to Hwy 76 and it is pretty much pristine.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

I found this website

http://www.hikebranson.com/-/hikebranson/
Old 06-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #14
resident
Local Member

Thumbs down Lakeside Foest Wilderness

Hey kid -- I drove by Lakeside Foest Wilderness entrance today and
noticed a lot of trees had been felled, and am wondering what's going on?

Hate to see all the trees disappearing. Look around this town and it
looks like we have been hit with a band of tree russlers. or something.

I've learned....
That life is like a
roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets
to the end, t he
faster it goes.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:23 AM   #15
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

Neat Trails from Shepherdof the Hills Hatchery

There is also a series of trails that leave from the hatchery area. They are of varying lengths, fairly level, and at least one of them runs along the shore line of Lake Taneycomo. It provides a spectacular view in the early morning, as the sun rises and causes the fog to lift off Lake Taneycomo. The visitor center has maps etc.

Closed Thread