1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Troutfisher57

Float tube fishing on Taneycomo

My father and I have had many memorable fishing trips out West and up North fishing trout in lakes from a float tube. Probably one of the most relaxing pleasurable ways to catch trout besides wade fishing. I have caught quite a number of trophy trout this way. Alas, my Father's advanced age is going to limit our trips. He lives in Kansas and Lake Taneycomo is not that far away. Is there anyone who has info on float tube fishing in Lake Taneycomo?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Hi, Welcome to the Branson Board.
I moved your post so more people could see it and help you.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Old 04-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Pssssssst....
That sure looks like fun....
I know they tube the river here....
But, where are those fisherman's feet? In the water?

Are they wading or floating?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

In the process of looking for an image, this is what I was seeing as well as fancier ones. I've been wondering too

Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Hmmmm....great picture Lynda....

Well either they are straddling those straps and letting their feet dangle, or..........they are sitting cross legged, Indian Style (sorry about the lack of PC)...and it just appears to me....or feels like to me...or I'm thinking .............well shoot...the only thing that comes to mind is NUMB.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Another version

Old 04-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

That picture only gives my imagination ''pain''.

Maybe those straps stretch and he is standing on them...on the other hand if they are ''made of good rubber'', they might catapult him over to Bull Shoals?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Isn't this guy sitting in a sort of sling seat maybe and seems to have maybe "waders" on?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Quote:
Standard tubes
The standard inner tube is the most common, and as a rule, has the lowest price. They start as low as $80.00. I've seen motorized versions go for as much as $700.00. Way too much money! A good tube in the $150.00 price range will give the owner years of service, with just a little preventive maintenance.
The advantages of these types of float tubes are the low costs, and the ease of replacing ruptured tubes. Most inner tubes can be upgraded with a heavy-duty truck tire for only a few dollars. The other types will require writing the manufacturer and paying higher prices.
Their disadvantages is that they are the most difficult to get into, and it will be difficult to reach your feet once you're in the tube. That might not seem like a big deal until your flippers cut off the circulation to your feet, or something of that nature.
The easiest way of getting into a standard float tube is on land. Face the tube away from where you want to enter. Have your fins on and all your equipment in easy reach. The crouch strap should be unbuckled. Place one foot through the opening, and then the next. It can take quite a bit of balancing, especially if you are standing on uneven terrain. Buckle up the crotch strap, and adjust it if necessary. The crotch strap can be buckled up and adjusted while in the water, but it is so much easier to do it on land because you won't have to fight your own weight.
After you are in and adjusted, walk backwards into the lake. This will keep your fins from catching on any objects, and you will be able to walk somewhat normally, although backward. You'll be doing the goose step if you try and walk forward, and it will be very easy to fall.
http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/float_tubes.html

So...they do straddle the straps, and the legs hang down and they wear FINS..........and then make the little rig go by swimming, sorta.
Kinda like a frog.
How cool !!!

Last edited by Cheesecake; 04-07-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
ggh
Super User

Showing my ignorance here -

I wouldn't want to wear waders in a tube - seems to me, if you accidentally fell in, the waders would quickly fill with water and you'd drown if you didn't get those waders off fast enough. Am I missing something?
Old 04-08-2007, 07:03 AM   #12
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh View Post

I wouldn't want to wear waders in a tube - seems to me, if you accidentally fell in, the waders would quickly fill with water and you'd drown if you didn't get those waders off fast enough. Am I missing something?
Don't take my word on the waders, it just looked like that to me. I don't know anything about it. I agree with your thoughts on that. Still waiting for someone in the know to fill us in
Old 04-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #13
Critter
Super Ultra Member

Ggh, I agree with you too! Though, I have never seen anything like this!!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #14
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh View Post

I hate to add this downer here, BUT, as for drowning, it has happened!
We know a person, an only Son, he drowned with waders at age 14.

My Son has waders & the fishing tube, however he doesn't fish
this way any longer! Thank God for kids!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
Troutfisher57

Tube Fishing

A little bit about tube fishing. You do wear waders in cool water. Normally, just wet wade in warm weather. If you wear a belt on the outside of your waders, if you fell into the water they won't fill up with water. Incidentally, unless you are in moving water and the current sucks you under, the water outside of your waders is the same bouyancy as the water in your waders. The seat in a float tube is designed with strap that comes up between your legs so you can't slip out. Many states require a life vest when tubing. I have a fly vest with a inflating system. Fishing out of float tube is like fishing out of your lazyboy. If you have back problems it's a dream. Out West it's an extremely popular way of fishing. I have caught many trout over 25 inches and some close to 30". Just trying to find somewhere a lot closer.

Closed Thread