1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
FarmersMarket
FarmersMarket

Branson Farmer's Market

We are considering the opening of a weekly summer farmer's market set in a high traffic retail location in Branson. Does anyone have any ideas about the best days and times to hold such an event or what they would like to see available besides produce, etc? Pros and cons? Any input, advice, or discussion would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

I'm so glad to see this. We always love to find fresh produce at the market and that is by far our favorite thing to find. There are so many that have swap meet type stuff and that kind of deters as far as I'm concerned. I always like to find the freshest produce, etc., because we come down and we do a little cooking while there and it sure beats what you can find sometimes in a grocery store. As far as days -- have you thought of Wednesdays and Saturdays and Sundays? I know our farmers market in KC works pretty good on that schedule. The only thing is on sunday's they advertise it as the city wide garage sale and they to encourage folkds to set up booths for anything goes type of stuff -- and I think that isn't too bad (or at least 1 day a month for something like that).

Vickie
Old 03-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Donsgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmersMarket View Post
We are considering the opening of a weekly summer farmer's market set in a high traffic retail location in Branson. Does anyone have any ideas about the best days and times to hold such an event or what they would like to see available besides produce, etc? Pros and cons? Any input, advice, or discussion would be appreciated. Thanks!
It would be good to have it one day during the week and one day on the weekend (probably Saturday). I love farmer's markets *but* I rarely get to go because many of them only go until NOON! Sorry, but you aren't getting me out of the house on Saturday before noon - ain't possible. I believe the Springfield FM is open until 3 pm, but even so - getting up there on a Saturday (insane Saturday traffic), by 3 pm is difficult at best, and many vendors are already closed up and ready to go home by then. Since it stays so light in the Summer, it would be GREAT if you kept it open until at least 5 pm and maybe even longer!

I'd love to see local produce, as well as local meats, processed meats (like sausage), bakery goods, etc. In addition you could allow things like soap, crafts, plants, cut flowers, etc.

Whatever you do, please, please do not make it an act of Congress to participate. Let the rules be lose and easy to follow. Let people do what they want to do and not have to comply a zillion arbitrary requirements that have been "laid down" by a committee of control freaks. That kind of thing does no one any good.

Actully, you could have a combination Farmer's Market and Flea Market so people could get rid of unwanted items at the same time. That would be great. I would be your number one customer!

donsgal
Old 03-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

A Farmer's Markert in Branson would be great!
I would shop there.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
ggh
Super User

Fantastic Idea! I can see those big tents and tables set up at the edge of the Landing, along the river pulling in a big crowd!

Fresh produce, homemade soaps, dried herbs and spices, fresh honey, plants - fresh fish??? - My little hometown has a Friday evening Farmers Market - open 5-7pm, and they usually have a little live band to help entertain.

I'm not an early bird, so I prefer farmers markets that are open later, or even evening markets ~ and I'd pick a week day and a weekend day.

FWIW, I tend to think that flea markets and farmers markets don't mix - I don't want to have to dig through garage sales to get to the produce.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Oh I love FARMER'S MKT.

In Salem, we have an amazing Farmer's Market.
It is open on Saturday from about 7:30AM til noonish.

Then on Tuesday (I think) it opens at 3 PM and is open til 6ish.

We have the produce as it becomes ready.
We have potted plants and fresh flowers.
We have canned jams and jellies and other canned items.
I purchased wild blackberries last year.
There is the most wonderful homemade breads, from white to banana, etc.
There are quilts and other homemade items made by our Amish ladies.
I see occasionally there are small items of interest, as in woodworking...like Bird Houses and other things like home made yard ornaments.
Other homecrafted things...crocheted and knitted items. Some of the sweetest baby blankets, sweaters and caps and booties.

There are only 5000 people in Salem, and it is the only real town in the entire county....lots of sales, even in little town USA.
Getting a parking place is my biggest worry on Farmer's Mkt Days.

I do not put out a garden anymore, because I can get such high quality produce from my neighbors.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lookee what I found:
Dent County
Town/City: Salem
Name: Dent County Farmers' Market
Open Days: Tuesday, 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m. - Noon
Saturday, mid-May - October; Tuesday, mid-June - October
Contact Person: Dennis Medlock
Mailing Address: 400 N. Main
Salem, MO 65560
E-mail: sacba@salemmo.com
Phone: 573-729-3911
Directions: Half-mile south of courthouse on Highway 19 South or half-mile north of Highway 19-32-72 Junction
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I bet if you had questions about this...Dennis would be more than helpful...(he is also the tax collector) and he does a whizbang job with that.......

Here are some more in So Central..might be some more people to question about what works and what doesnt.
http://agebb.missouri.edu/fmktdir/view.asp?region=7

If your community would like assistance in organizing a farmers’ market or know of a farmers' market that is not listed in the Missouri Department of Agriculture's Farmers' Market Directory, please contact:

Karla Kean
Missouri Department of Agriculture
1616 Missouri Boulevard, P.O. Box 630
Jefferson City, MO 65102
(573) 526-4984
e-mail: karla.kean@mda.mo.gov

http://agebb.missouri.edu/fmktdir/index.htm

Last edited by Cheesecake; 03-09-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #7
bransontruth
Setting things straight

Try this

Contact another member on this board by the screen name of "Stvshll" He lives down in Eureka Springs, another tourist town, and they have two different farmers markets to choose from. I'm sure he can tell you about it.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #8
Professor Piper
Ultra Member

Location: Branson, Missouri, USA, Planet Earth (Third Rock from the Sun)
We'll go whenever you are open!!

Just please, for 'peace' in my home...

PLEASE make sure you have as much fresh fruit as possible...

Especially:

Strawberries (if possible)...

Good luck!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)

P.S...For my own pleasure, and assortment of peppers (Serano, Habenaro, Scotch Bonnet, Aneheim, etc) would be GREAT...The only peppers you can really find in the grocery stores around here are Jalapenos, Seranos, and Habenaros....I'd LOVE to see more variety!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:39 AM   #9
Donsgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Piper View Post
P.S...For my own pleasure, and assortment of peppers (Serano, Habenaro, Scotch Bonnet, Aneheim, etc) would be GREAT...The only peppers you can really find in the grocery stores around here are Jalapenos, Seranos, and Habenaros....I'd LOVE to see more variety!
I'll drink to that. Hey maybe you should change your screen name to Professor Pepper! huh?

donsgal
Old 03-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
Professor Piper
Ultra Member

Location: Branson, Missouri, USA, Planet Earth (Third Rock from the Sun)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsgal View Post
I'll drink to that. Hey maybe you should change your screen name to Professor Pepper! huh?

donsgal

LOL donsgal!

It's tempting, but I've been Prof. Piper for about 15 years now....

Just too stubborn to change...

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
Old 03-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #11
CHRISTISAM2001
El Grando Branson Lover

I think you have a wonderful idea!! I love Farmer Markets, wish we had some around here!! We always have a huge garden every year, but we dont plant everything and it would be nice to have access to a FM to buy the things we dont plant!!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #12
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

Would Farmrers Market be restricted to just produce?

Would the market be restricted to just produce or would there be other itmes such as hand made crafts etc.?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #13
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

We have both at ours. A lot of the times, the Saturday is mostly produce and a few items by the Amish (breads, pies, etc.) and then on sunday - they had more of the crafts and such and that is when they do their one Sunday a month Garage Sale. It seemed to work pretty good last year. On Wednesday they would advertise it as Senior's Day and would have a little bit of everything. Just a thought.

Vickie
Old 03-12-2007, 09:30 AM   #14
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc
We have the produce as it becomes ready.
We have potted plants and fresh flowers.
We have canned jams and jellies and other canned items.
I purchased wild blackberries last year.
There is the most wonderful homemade breads, from white to banana, etc.
There are quilts and other homemade items made by our Amish ladies.
I see occasionally there are small items of interest, as in woodworking...like Bird Houses and other things like home made yard ornaments.
Other homecrafted things...crocheted and knitted items. Some of the sweetest baby blankets, sweaters and caps and booties.
These are just ''some'' of the things offered at our FmrsMkt.

I bought the best Blackberry Cobbler....last summer. yummm....

I purchased, elsewhere, a great colorful, and interesting shopping bag...and a big two handled basket....

Our county built a ''cover'' over a big ''cement pad''....(really big)...and the trucks back in to it all the way around........and set up their little individual stores from the backs of their trucks on folding tables......and I get to shop in the shade, and the fruits and veggies dont get blistered by the sun.

Then the ''other'' things are set up on the edge of the parkinglot.......

There are no people more talented in ''crafts'' than the Ozarkee's.......and, I love the wood stuff.........

I think the thing that ruins a FmrsMkt is ''used'' stuff.......turning it into a yard sale or flea market..........there is a time and a place for that, but not in the Farmers Market, where it is ''new stuff'' produced/handcrafted by Farmers (and their little town neighbors).
Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #15
pamlet
Super Ultra Member

As to times...

I know the closest Farmer's Market to me opens at 3pm on Saturday afternoons... it's going into it's 3rd season now. There are some farmer's that go to a market south of here - and catch ours on the way home... Some that just come to ours ...

I LOVE it ... There's one fellow that has the BEST summer squash - not sure why his is better than the others ... but it is SO GOOD. Another does a "mixed basket" with different veggies in it....

Because there quite a few that come in ... there's competition so the prices stay fairly reasonable...

I love going early in the season - when I get the "baby veggies"... plus if I'm lucky I catch it when the fig lady is there!!!! WOOHOO ... I just discovered fresh figs a few years back... My goal this year is to cook with them... In the past I eat them all before I get a chance to make anything.... hahahahaha

Closed Thread