1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #16
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstory
My family will be in the Branson area around the 20th of May. My husband and I love beautiful scenery and taking lots of pictures. Can some locals tell me of beautiful areas to hit. I dont care if we have to drive a little it is worth it to us. I saw that the Greer area had a beautiful area and was wondering if someone could tell me how far away that is from Branson. Thanks in advance for any info.

Cindy

It's about 150 miles from Branson to Greer - but Greer Spring is worth the drive, IMO. When you get to Greer you're at the edge of Mark Twain National Forrest, worth driving through - and lots of scenic areas, Turners Mill, Round Spring, the Jacks Fork River, Eminence. If you REALLY want scenic, rent a canoe and take a float down the Current River (put in at the Round Spring) or float a day on the Jacks Fork River - both have gorgeous scenery!

The area is gorgeous, you won't be able to miss scenic views regardless which direction you go from Branson.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:27 PM   #17
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh
It's about 150 miles from Branson to Greer - but Greer Spring is worth the drive, IMO. When you get to Greer you're at the edge of Mark Twain National Forrest, worth driving through - and lots of scenic areas, Turners Mill, Round Spring, the Jacks Fork River, Eminence. If you REALLY want scenic, rent a canoe and take a float down the Current River (put in at the Round Spring) or float a day on the Jacks Fork River - both have gorgeous scenery!

The area is gorgeous, you won't be able to miss scenic views regardless which direction you go from Branson.
Are there rental canoes at both places you mentioned? Also, how's the water, is it a lazy float or are we talking some whitewater here??

Never let yesterday use up too much of today..
Old 04-30-2006, 10:14 PM   #18
ggh
Super User

You won't have any problem finding a canoe rental place in Emminence, Round Spring, Jacks Fork and the Current River are all floated regularly.

I prefer the Current River over the Jacks Fork (probably just because I'm more familiar with it) - I think the Current water moves a little quicker than the Jacks Fork, and you're less likely to drag/carry the canoe. I don't enjoy 'lazy floats' if lazy means I have to do lots of paddling - I'd rather float and steer anyday!

As far as whitewater - it really depends on how much rain there's been recently - but they're both safe floats - easier IMO than the Buffalo in Arkansas. I think that you can get safety ratings from the canoe rental places, or from the Missouri Dept of Conservation.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #19
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh
I don't enjoy 'lazy floats' if lazy means I have to do lots of paddling - I'd rather float and steer anyday!
I agree - - - -

Floating- -GOOD
Paddling - -BAD

Never let yesterday use up too much of today..
Old 05-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
melissa
soon2bnbranson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsgal
Of what? Condos? whoopie.

donsgal
Well....I don't know if we're all talking about the same place or not. The directions that barefoot eddie gave sounded like the way to the scenic overlook that I'm talking about, but you're saying it's only a view of condos. Dalmation Dad put up a picture of what I thought was the same place that barefoot eddie was talking about. At any rate.....Dalmation Dad posted two pics on this thread and the first one that he posted is a picture of the same place that I'm talking about. Have I totally confused everyone yet?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:10 AM   #21
flyfishinggolfer
Ultra Member

Hey Cindy, (I feel like I am talking to my wife. Her name is Cindy) get up at dawn and go down to the Shephard of the Hills Fishery by the dam on the Taneycomo side. Just take 165 south. You will drive by Stone Hill winery and Fall Creek Inn and Resort to let you know you are on the right path. If the fog rolls in you will see some beautiful pictures of cranes and the combination of water and fog. It is the opposite of the overlook, it is the underlook. Fly.

Closed Thread