1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Lodging

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
jamijess

More questions about Southern Oaks

Okay I know I can just call southern oaks and ask them this stuff, but I thought I'd ask you all first so I know before I call(if that makes any sense!)

Anyhow I think I had read somewhere that Southern Oaks had rooms with balconies? Now since there are about half a million hotels I've been reading about I could have it confused with something else, but I'm pretty sure I did read that.

Also I think that they have microwaves and fridges available. If so I was wondering if anyone knows how much they are or if they come in any certain rooms.

My last question is I believe southern oaks has either suites or family suites they are called(not positive what they're called.) Just wondering if anyone has stayed in those rooms and knows what they might have that the others don't.

Thanks so much for your help as always. I'll be glad when I've been to Branson so maybe I can offer some help instead of always just asking!
Old 03-26-2005, 07:36 AM   #2
jrnew
Tyler James is HERE!

http://www.southernoaksinn.com/

I have found their website to be very helpful!

There are a FEW rooms with balconies at Southern Oaks, we some how were lucky enough to get one last weekend, but most of them do NOT have a balcony!

On the website they do mention some sort of suites, but I have NOT been in them.

I am unsure on the fridge. and micro. part sorry!

Hope this helps! We were just there a week ago, sure hope we can go back in a few months!

Have a great weekend! Jamie
Old 03-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
teacherkim
Super Ultra Member

Fridges: I saw some in the housekeeping closet this weekend, so I know they are available (I'd assume for a fee). There are microwaves in some of the vending areas if you're just looking to pop popcorn, etc.

Regular hotel rooms are huge. We had 2 queens, added a roll away and still had a bunch of room. We did ask to see the family suites because we have one reserved for a week in June. 2 bedrooms with a queen bed in each. Living area with a pull-out sofa, a large table (a kitchen table, really), a dorm sized fridge and a microwave. The family suites are in the lobby building on the 2nd floor.

We weren't terribly impressed with the breakfast buffet, but it wasn't bad either. The indoor pool and buffet are in the same building, as are the rooms with balconies. If you want those 3 things, I'd request them... they seemed to be very friendly and helpful and I'm sure they would try to get your requests, especially if you made them early enough.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
nurse_wannabe

We just got back from Southern Oaks this weekend too. The place was all sprawled out in 4 or 5 buildings, some with exterior doors and some with interior corridors. If you are in the building with the indoor pool, you will be about 1/2 mile from the front desk You also have to use a key to unlock your building, then use a different key to unlock your door. It was a big pain in the butt IMO.

Our room had two full beds, a small table with 2 chairs, a dresser, and refrigerator. We were on the second floor, which is really like the 3rd floor b/c there is a lower basement level. There is no elevator, which isn't a big deal, but at 7 months pregnant with heavy luggage it was not fun. Especially when there were no vending or ice machines or any other amenities to be found on our floor. There was no microwave, but they might have been available upon request. The room was one of the biggest I've ever stayed in that wasn't classified as a suite. It was just your basic room with absolutely no frills. We weren't lucky enough to get a balcony. The tub and television were both very small. The tv was a 19" & the top 2 inches of the screen was messed up. There was no coffee maker, hair dryer, or clothes iron. I thought those things were standard in most places these days! The beds were horrible - we could feel every spring. My husband said he woke up 5 times last night and he never wakes up. We both had backaches both mornings. Although our room was nonsmoking, it still reeked of cigarettes or something! Like Kim, we were not impressed with the breakfast. There was cereal, instant oatmeal, donuts, cinnamon buns, toast, and instant gravy with biscuits. Drinks were juice, water, milk, and coffee. Pretty standard continental breakfast. It would have been great if there were some fresh fruits, muffins, and other things that aren't so sticky sweet. My final gripe: the pool. Kim, what was your opinion of the indoor pool? I was really disappointed in it. I didn't get in because it was hot, crowded, and just plain icky-looking! I think the bathing load was too much and that contributed to the cloudy, gross water. I tried it early afternoon, late afternoon, and evening and it was always jam-packed. Maybe in the summer time with the outdoor pool open it won't be so bad.

This may sound terrible, but it really wasn't all that bad. We were hardly in the room, and most of this stuff was just small things that didn't matter to me anyway.

Now, before you all think I am just a nit-picky complainer, I would like to point out a few good things. Like I said above, the room was nice and big. The room and the bathroom were clean, and there was a good sized closet to hang clothes. The bath towels were big and fluffy. The location was fantastic, with easy access to 76, and both the red and blue routes.

Although I will not stay at Southern Oaks again, we had a great time in Branson

Last edited by nurse_wannabe; 03-27-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
teacherkim
Super Ultra Member

re: the pool

The pool water was actually chilly to me. The air was hot and humid, but the water was just a hair too chilly for me to enjoy myself in it. I did get in the hot tub, but my dh did remark that he felt like he had a layer of slime on him after getting out. I'd agree with that assessment.

The pool was very cloudy, but I did see someone in checking the chlorine levels every morning, so I know it was properly treated. My dh said that it was over chlorinated. He's more sensitive to that stuff.

For the price, it wasn't a bad place, but our overall assessment was that we enjoyed the pool at Mountain Music Inn more. We did like Southern Oaks room size and location. As I said, we have reservations for June and would probably return, except that they have a no dogs policy and I'm considering taking the dog.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
PatiCake101
Super Ultra Member

We also have reservations with Southern Oaks for June, mainly because of the heated indoor and outdoor pools. That is the weekend that we bring 3 of our grandchildren, and I wanted to make sure they had a pool warm enough to swim in, and since they had two pools, I thought maybe they wouldn't be so crowded. Slimy and cloudy are not things I want to hear about the pool where we will be staying. I may have to re-think this one.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:09 AM   #7
jamijess

Hmm, now I'm confused again! Just when I thought we had it down to Southern Oaks for sure...now I'm not so sure!

I'm with Paticake about the pool, slimy? Yuck.

I keep hearing about all these hotels with everything spread out over a bunch of buildings, are they all like this? It seems really inconvenient to me.

It's so hard to choose with all the lodging choices. Everytime I really think I've got one picked then I read some reviews and I'm not so sure about my choice!

Well I guess that's one of the drawbacks of so many lodging choices.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:11 AM   #8
jrnew
Tyler James is HERE!

When we were there the 18th to 21st the pool was very nice clear and clean. I saw them change the water out on the hot tub while there, so I know it is cleaned often! The gentleman working in the pool area were VERY nice!

The hotel is spread out, but not that bad in my opinion! I enjoy walking though and having to run up to the front desk was no big deal to me. The whole building was connected together, so we aren't talking like 45 building all about 100 feet apart!The ice was one floor down, which was fine with me!

Nearly everything in Branson is built on a hill, so for hotels and what not to fit into the lay of the land they had to get a bit creative with how things are set up! I think it makes Branson unique!

We have stayed in about 6 different hotels in Branson and during each season we have a different favorite! When it is warm we really like staying at Branson's Best, Whispering Hills or Branson's Best to enjoy their outdoor pool. Though in the winter we want to stay in hotels with indoor pools!

Best wishes!!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:22 AM   #9
jamijess

Thanks for your info. Would you say that in the second week of june it is usually warm enough to use an outdoor pool?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
jrnew
Tyler James is HERE!

We were in Branson last year at the end of May and swam in the outdoor pool at our hotel!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:40 AM   #11
PatiCake101
Super Ultra Member

Jamie...you northerners must like your water cool!!! LOL! When we are there the first of June, I usually FORCE myself to get into an outdoor pool once or twice, but I hate it, I freeze to death!! We are even supposed to take our kids to WhiteWater this June, and I am NOT looking forward to that cold water. Anyway...I too booked the rooms in June with Southern Oaks mainly because of the indoor pool. Their outdoor pool is also supposed to be heated. We drove down thru there when we were there a couple of weeks ago, and the outdoor pool sure seems small, but like I said, the indoor pool was my biggest concern. I'm glad to hear that it was clear when you were there. I think that I will keep my reservations with them.

As far as having to walk so far....alot of the motels in Branson are built like Southern Oaks, especially the ones on Shepherd of the Hills. Even some on 76 are like that. I was really surprised to see how many rooms were behind The Clarion! If it's not too hilly, I don't mind the walk, but some who may have medical conditions could find the walk to be a problem.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:47 AM   #12
jrnew
Tyler James is HERE!

The walk at Southern Oaks isn't too steep and that makes a difference! I know the time we stayed at Savannah House, wow does that place have a slop. Going down was easy, but back up was a tough one!

After the long winters up north, as long as there isn't ICE on the pool we are likely to try it out! We even had dh's nieces with us last May and they all went swimming and these young ladies (all three teenagers) seem to complain about nearly everything, so the water had to have been warm for them not to say anything!

We likely won't get to stay at Southern Oaks again this summer because we will take my parents to Branson, so the dog has to go and no pets allowed there! I am sure we will try to go there again next March or so!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #13
OkieAnon

second week of June should be warm enough for the outdoor pool, but..

usually go in August and again at Thanksgiving. most times in August it's in the 90's sometimes it'll be 100+, last year we had low temps in the 40's and highs in the low 60's at Thanksgiving the highs were in the 60-70 range. we about froze at White Water last year (had prebought tickets so it was go or lose our money... we went )... anyway, around Branson there's just no gurantees on the weather.

when i'm looking for a motel with an indoor pool, I want one with indoor hallways that connect the motel to the pool. if it's to cool to swim outdoors, I figure it's too cool to walk across the parking lot to get to the pool without a jacket and pants.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:21 PM   #14
wwgang
Super Ultra Member

I also thought the pool was cloudy at Southern Oaks this weekend and cool on Friday and Saturday and down right cold on Sunday. I like the room and price but also feel Mountain Music Inn's pool and breakfast are much better.

Closed Thread