1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
OkieAnon

Yippee, the Weekend is over

i'm so glad Monday is almost here.... yippee Monday, oh boy put this weekend out of it's misery.

let's see .... Friday 10 to 12 maybe more hours of 60 to 70 mph winds.... do you know what that many hours of that strong of winds can do? lost 2 shade tree's, 2 peach tree's, stockade fence damage, windmill tower damaged ( not sure how bad, waiting on the wind to go down to climb it). as far as wind damage though, could be worse, heard of roof's blown off, electrical lines causing house fires.

there's been fire's all over the western part of Oklahoma and Texas and the sky is covered in smoke and blowing dust.

yesterday took my pk to have a leak patched on one tire and they found it was leaking around the sensor guage, said they legally can't work on it, i'd have to take it to a dealer. wonder what that will cost.

today had a cow down, can't figure why, had her calf 8 weeks ago, guessing some of them might have been fighting and knocked her down.

all in all Monday sounds pretty good to me
Old 04-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Did your cow get rid of all the after birth? Give her a hand full of flax seed in her feed, see if she expels it. Better yet call the VET..cha ching $$$$

I am glad for the weekend to be over too. I've been in a royal mood so, that makes things rotten. I'm too old for PMS, but boy oh boy it sure felt like I'd like to strangle the next available neck.

The over head this month on trucks has been disgusting...along with the price of fuel.

And I think my joints are acting up for some reason...seems they are worse in the spring...ouch ouch ouch. Also affects my mood.

I threw away the water pills I've been taking for years...I'm sick and tire of sleeping on the john.

The only bad thing about Monday is the office work I let go last week and the prediction of TORNADOES on Tuesday.

I think the bear is back...and at this time of the year....hungry. Oy!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
shis1
Str8fn

What makes you think the bear is back??????
Old 04-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
LynndaofNJ
Proud American Mom

Although my late father was born and raised on a farm in upstate New York, I am completely ignorant regarding farm life. Specifically, I had no idea that cows fought.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynndaofNJ View Post
Although my late father was born and raised on a farm in upstate New York, I am completely ignorant regarding farm life. Specifically, I had no idea that cows fought.
Being a city gal, haven't observed cows very often but I never saw them move around much. Guess if they got angry, they would fight back.

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
CLUCKINGHEN
Ultra Member

They like to push each other around, and if one has horns she knows it can move the others out of her way and get more feed.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLUCKINGHEN View Post
They like to push each other around, and if one has horns she knows it can move the others out of her way and get more feed.
Thanks for the info.

I guess when it comes to getting food, we can all be aggressive, if necessary.

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
OkieAnon

I have a couple of them that if they weren't so reliable at having calves each year would have been taken to the sale barn a long time ago, as it is i'd like to bend a fence post over their skull at times. school yard bullies, push, chase that sort of stuff, sometimes it can get pretty rough... i'm figuring something like that went on, or this cow went into heat and the bull got a little rough with her, she can get up about 2 ft off the ground then the back legs give out like something in the hips are bothering her. eating good, drinking good, and has bowel movement so i'll keep her fed and watered for a day or two and see what happens.

i'm sick about my peach tree's, the shade tree's weren't that big of a deal, didn't care that much for them, they were on a vacant lot we'd bought next door, find time to cut them up.... but the peach tree's we'd had for several years and picked a lot of peaches off of them, had thought they were getting some age on them, so the other day bought 2 new one's and waiting on some rain to plant them, but had hoped the old one's would last a couple years while these got started.... guess not.

then the windmill, there's just not many people around here that works on them, and the one's that do charge an arm and a leg, last time I had some minor thing done, they were gone from town and back in 90 minutes and it cost me around 500.00, i'm hoping its something stuck that I can climb up and work on it.

you want the topper to my weekend? I went to the car wash Saturday night and scrubbed the pk off, used 4 or 5 dollars worth of quarters getting all the dust off. go into the barn yesterday to get some feed for the cows, they are messing around outside like they always do and when I come back out one of them has shat all over the side of my nice clean pk
Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
What makes you think the bear is back??????
I have one dusk to dawn yard light over by the house..and a dusk to dawn way up on the 18 wheeler shop. The way shadows play in the cross fire, I see the ''bear'' on the big bay door. Bears walk pigeon toe'd ...and in Spring still have a pretty rough coat...I've never seen a dog with fat ankles ... not short legged and .......I think it's a bear.

My dog barks all night on ''bear'' night. He/she never shows up on the weekends because (I think) the big truck is in the yard.

Oh cows are full of shat, Okie....I can top your story....one spring many a moons ago...I got sprayed with green grass shats...........she lifter her tail and I was green...stinky too.

I used to go and spend an afternoon with the ''herd'' when one of the girls was about to calve........I would lay in the sun on the tailgate and try and melt into the scenario. They all came and checked me out...sniffed my face with their big soft noses.......(do you know tho they have picky whiskers and it's hard to not move when they are sniffin).........and they have a government, they have personalities, and they all have their job.
After feeding out hay bales, they nose around and eat and then put their babies to bed on what hay is left...then they go nose around and graze on grass and old leaves and go to the ponds. BUT...they leave one old stupid cow as baby sitter....you'd have to be stupid to take that job....she'd keep saying ''mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'' to those kids, cause they wanted to run around when their mothers did not want them to.
Then you have the leader cow, who usually is at the head of the Indian file line they took on the paths...like to the feed lot where there were protein blocks and salt.......she would stand out there in her field and moo and get their attention...like the Sargent ... they would all fall into line, moo'ing all the way to the lot. For many years our Rosemary was the leader...we kept her forever, so as she aged, she finally turned this job over to her daughter, Maudy.

And they are mean and they are bullies, like kids playing on the school yard. One or two are always picked on...it's very sad. Usually they are the cows with the low hips and funny markings and other odd traits. The bullies taunt them and butt them. (we had no horned cattle, all polled Herefords....but those head knobs are hard).

When it was time to take the weaned calves and culled cows to the Sale Barn, the leader of the bunch would make it next to impossible to get them in the lane and into the cattle trailer........we had to cut her from the herd and run her out of the loading lot. She usually had a calf that was ''going'', so the noise she made was deafening.

Pigs have a community too. They can be more like pets tho.
Just be careful, they like you too much when you are bringing treats to eat.

And chickens have board meetings in the chicken house....and they throw the roosters out first. So when you are shuckin' corn and throwing the husks over the fence to the cows, the shunned roosters are pecking yer ankles....the chickens are discussing their next move to avoid getting their necks rung.

Believe me...I never thought animals were so smart....

Yesterday, as I was driving up the lane to the ''home''....the resident Turkey leader whose head is as tall as my car window...whispered as he crossed the road....''it's hunting season''............and the rest of them (about 80) crossed too.
I think those birds live there, .............in the lane. No hunting there next to the Salem Memorial Hospital....smart birds.

Miss dog has to stay in the porch today....and til ''hunting is over''...she goes out into the woods and gives away the hunter hiding there in camo. ''roflol'' wtg 'Tilda!

We added another rug in the porch and moved the water pan....Rosie the Cat cannot adjust this morning.

Last edited by Cheesecake; 04-18-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

Cheesecake & Okie.........

I loved reading about your adventures "out on the farm"!!! Sorry about the cow "issues".......

More........?????
Old 04-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
OkieAnon

one other thing with the 60 - 70 mph winds last Friday. last summer we had the cedars cut off of our place, some of them were big, i'd guess there were some that would have went 20 ft tall plus a few that were even bigger than that and probably 10 to 15 feet wide. we started burning them last fall till it got dry and scared us from lighting them up.

the wind the other day blew a lot of these into the barbed wire fences, the branches are all tangled and twisted up in the barb wires its a real mess.

I am on a bottom area, it's greening up despite the drough, isn't growing but it is greening, the neighbors on the hills around us arent even getting green in their pastures, I think I would be alright if a wildfire came thru our place, all the barns are surrounded by green right now, do have some hay that i'd be scared of an ember lighting in. closest wildfire has been about a mile from us, it was a big one, covered 15- 20 miles and about a mile wide.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Hubby has been a farmer his entire life. I was a city girl who thought it would be a ''snap'' when I married him, to learn to drive a tractor, rake hay, and back that gooseneck trailer into a single car bay on the old barn..............believe me, I learned fast it took talent and brains to be a farmer.

I learned fast that one pinch of Redman could make me sick and have crooked wind rows, in the hayfield .....

I learned how sweet and kind my farmer guy was, as he carried new fawns from the hayfield when he was mowing hay. He also carried baby rabbits to the edge away from the mower.

I've heard that a snapping turtle doesn't let go til it thunders, so I never got too close. They are especially determined to cross from one pond to the other, regardless if you are out there...when they are laying eggs.

I know God is in the pasture when a baby calf is born in 2 feet of snow and something is wrong....the ordinary farmer guy can pick it up and carry it a quarter of a mile to the barn, and never get winded.

Side note: With the price of scrap metal, every farm in our area has a million dollar pile out behind the shop.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #13
OkieAnon

our vet works here 2 days a week and somewhere else 3 days a week... small town life.... talked to him this morning finally and he doesn't think the cow's got much chance, probably injured the spine, but he'll go out this morning and giver her a cortizone and calcium shot.

he opened at 8;30 and I was there at 8;25 and third in line, so don't know when he'll make it.... I need to know one way or the other get up or put her down ....

times a few acres and some ole cows can be a lot of fun.... times its a real pain.

Closed Thread