1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
judtalk2me

Wisconsin Dells or Mall of America

Has anyone been to either. We have decided to try somewhere new this year. If you have been, any suggestions on where to stay or not to stay. Any info would be helpful. We are going July 11 thru 19. Would prefer some place with a kitchen. Haven't looked into any lodging yet, so I am not sure whats available. Thought I'd check here first. Since we all have our favorites in Branson, maybe someone has a favorite in 1 of these 2 places. Also, which would be your choice?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
map51

Hubby and I went to MOA in Nov 2007 and loved it. If you have children they have the amusement park, aquarium and movie theaters. We stayed at a Ramada Inn so can't recommend lodging. Also, across street from MOA is an IKEA store. Lots of things in Minneapolis/St Paul area. Last time to Wisconsine Dells was back in mid 70's so can't help you there. You make me want to go back to MOA and I am far away in Phoenix. Enjoy.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Double Mom
Packer Fan

I've been to both. For the Dells I love staying at the Kalahari or Chula Vista, both have indoor/outdoor water parks and are so much fun! There are so many things to do in the Dells in the summer, it's a fun place. As far as MOA I went for a weekend in the winter and also went to the PBR while it was there, didn't do anything else. I'm sure there is lots to do in the Cities but just haven't gone in the summer to know what's there. The place we stayed at in the Cities was near the Mall, I'll have to ask my DH what the name of the place was, it did have a kitchen and was priced reasonable.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
judtalk2me

Talk about being spoiled by Branson hotel prices. We have decided on MOA because of 2 grandkids (8 and 3) 2 on the left on my picture. Nickelodeon and lego have big attractions. 8 yr. old is very into legos. I can't find a decent big hotel room or suite for less than $150 a night. Guess I need to find a second job.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
alncindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by judtalk2me View Post
Talk about being spoiled by Branson hotel prices. We have decided on MOA because of 2 grandkids (8 and 3) 2 on the left on my picture. Nickelodeon and lego have big attractions. 8 yr. old is very into legos. I can't find a decent big hotel room or suite for less than $150 a night. Guess I need to find a second job.
We have been to both.....
We live about 3 hrs from the Dells and I will say to stay there you do need a second job if you stay at any one of the nice places with the indoor water parks. It is a shame what they charge in the summer. The average person can not afford to stay there. When we go we stay at the Wilderness IMO it is one of the most expensive places there. We went last summer for 4 days and stayed in a 2 bedroom condo on the Lake and spent 1,500.00 for the 4 days just ridiculous. Doublemom was right you can get a good price but it will depend on what time of year you go.. If it was't for the price we would go there more.. That is how we discovered Branson we were just sick of paying the high prices and tried Branson and I am soooooo glad we did..
MOA is fun if you have never been there. If it is still open there is some kind of amusment park in the town I think is St Paul MN I could be wrong.
Anyway you will not be sorry with MOA
Old 01-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
sskog

Hi,
I just read your post and saw that you are going to MOA. I live in MN and have been there many times. When looking for a hotel, try cities close to Bloomington for some lower prices. I would check Eden Prarie, Eagan, Richfield. I live in a northern suburb (MOA is just south of mpls.) and it takes me only about a half an hour to get there so really just check out other areas for lower prices. With our freeway system it is easy to get to.

While you are here, some other ideas to see would be Valley Fair Amusement park, the Minnesota Zoo, downtown Minneapolis with its skyway system, and check out to see what is playing at the Children's Theater.

Hope you have a good trip and please post a review when you get home.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
LBM
Super Ultra Member

I live half way between both. MOA will be much less expensive than WI Dells in the summer. There is also a free zoo, Como Park Zoo that had a flower conservatory the last I remember. Rainforest Cafe at MOA was always a favorite of my sons when he was younger. If you have any more specific questions I am going to visit my good friend in Eagen in 2 weeks. I'm sure we will go to the Mall and I can check things out for you.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
jakwi
Super Ultra Member

The Kalahari Water Park in the Dells has just completed a major renovation. For more info go to www.kalahari.com. You might bring two credit cards, as one would probably be maxed out.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

I think you made a good choice with Mall of America. Wisconsin Dells is overpriced for what you get (in my opinion) and there really isn't much to do there other than the water parks.

In addition to the places already mentioned, the Minnesota Children's Museum, the Science Museum of Minnesota, and the Minnesota History Center (all located in downtown St. Paul) are great low-cost family activities.

There is a Homewood Suites across from the Mall of America that generally gets good reviews. You can get a suite with a kitchenette for about $100 per night.

Good Times in Branson

Closed Thread