1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 11:04 AM   #46
HeatherWilliams

I feel your pain, our electric bill for 2 people is no less than 400 per month! I am planning on moving to Branson next month!!!!YEAH!!! We are only home in the evenings and sometimes not even that and our utilities are that expensive!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #47
SilverMallard
Ultra Member

I thought of a few more negatives...

1. It occassionally gets too hot in the summertime.
2. It occassionally gets too cold in the winter.
3. When it rains it's pretty wet.
4. Searching Google for "Branson" turns up a bunch of extraneous hits about Sir Richard Branson, and I don't really care much about him.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:41 PM   #48
tina_als_girl

Well, for me, coming from Independence, the first three negatives aren't really negatives or positives; sounds the same as what we get here.

Now, that fourth one... I'd have to agree with you on that one.

Joy
Old 05-10-2005, 05:11 AM   #49
engel
Super Ultra Member

Wow, Heather! Where do you live, so I can avoid that place. I've never heard of electric bills that high! Ours doesn't approach that even in the hottest months or coldest winters.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #50
RenMundy

Question Roomies In Branson??

I'm moving to Branson A.S.A.P. I'm 19 and looking for a roomate.. a girl. hehe. I"m a "show girl" and if anyone fun girlies want to think about rooming with me. I'd love to talk to ya. Thanks
Old 05-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #51
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Wink

Why you do not want to live in Branson, per.........the SilverHairedMallard.

You do not want to live in Branson, cause you might run into one of the scarey OLD CODGERS running around.

Forget going out for a beer.......? No bars in Branson. No whooping it up here.

Forget excitement at a ball game....there is only AA and KIDS PLAYING HERE, in the area.
No beer at those games?...Probably not.

Remember, again, just old people here, on the average.......so if you don't like 50+ aged folks...stay away.

The current rate of pay is so disgustingly low, you will never be able to support your family.

The newest residents of Branson have so screwed up the Real Estate deals........and the appraised values are so high, only rich people can afford to live in Branson.

So if you are in your 30s and 40s....YOU WILL NEVER SUCCEED IN BRANSON.

All you need here is a junker......the Ozarks is not condusive to classy vehicles....they fall apart with the wear and tear.

The local bible thumpers will, really make you consider Jesus...whether you like it or not.

The intellience pool for workers is 'low mentality' and 'less skills', ie: stupid locals.

There are so many more Drug cookers here, ie: watch out. (don't check the stats for anywhere else)

Forget gardening, and home landscaping.....the ground grows rocks, and will ruin your lawnmower.

Oh....forget coming here......THE WEATHER STINKS.

All above, a condensed version of Silver Mallards post................BUT REMEMBER....to use them as your Realtor, if you are coming or going,.........LISTEN TO ALL THE GOOD THINGS HE SAYS ABOUT BRANSON. Surely you are going to either sell for a big price, and/or get screwed when you buy.

And, the POSITIVES OUT WEIGH THE NEGATIVES?........OH YEAH?

Man, I'd love to see a list of the positives.........that totally negate the negatives..............roflol.

Sorry SM you left yourself open for critizism.........after that tirade.

And, yes........I UNDERSTAND YOU WERE ONLY JOKING. Branson has plenty of younger families who are making it, and making it fine. But, ...........

Even if you totally disagreed with BransonMom........our HIGH PRIESTESS. (sorry BM....)....the rest of you should ask BransonMom how she does it.....YOUNG, RICH AND GOOD LOOKING......with a family a beautiful home, and SURVIVING IN BRANSON.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #52
PUMPKIN
pumpkin

Cool

And, the POSITIVES OUT WEIGH THE NEGATIVES?........OH YEAH?
POSITIVES= LIVE MUSIC SHOWS, LOTS OF FOOD,LOTS OF MOTELS AND HOTELS,SHOPPING MALLS,CHOPPER RIDE, DUCK RIDES,GOLF, GO CARS,MUSEUMS, SDC AND CC, CAVES,LAUGHTER===ANYONE ELSE ADDS TO LIST. NEGATIVE (I WILL THINK ABOUT IT.GET BACK WITH THEM LATER.)
Old 05-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #53
ParrotTrader
ParrotTrader

Cool Branson-Great Community Areas to Live! Go For It!

Hi Amanda,
You are getting some really great information about Branson! I used to live in the area too--slowly heading back myself. Looking into Real Estate School or Luxury Travel Agent work. I am currently residing in Florida.
Branson community town areas--no more than 30 miles out--are quiet and peaceful--and if renting--you will find houses for around $400.00+ per month. Where in Springfield--40-45 miles out--most start at $600.00+ for a good, well taken care of house. Inspect welll! Mold is a big problem! We lived in two houses back to back with mold and suffered illness--forced to move--one reason we are now in Florida--believe it or not we have not found any Mold housing problems!!--no one cared about the mold in MO. Have heard since Arkansas has had some serious problems with Mold also. Some times you do not know it until you are in the homes about 4-5 months unfortunately. If you have a lease--you could have a problem getting out no matter if it is Mold and/or illness. Get the book on MO Tenant-Landlord Law before renting a house. Then...see if you can find a lawyer who has any background just in case--we made call after call to several towns and we found no one.
Apartment living is a bit less cost but not much less. Living in SW MO was like being on vacation for me every day! I travelled into town often--lived outside the area in the country. I never found the traffic to be that hectic really--learned all the "Colored Routes", the back roads, and you wouldn't find much traffic.
As for winter--I have to say I met up with quite a few cars and travelers as well--year round--on Hwy.76--it can be bumper to bumper in Nov. and Dec. as well. There is some snow--melts off fairly quick but then...there is "Ice" and it can be rough--one thing to be prepared for on those hills and many many curves! As usual many folks panic and then--many are in the ditch and even in heavy rain storms we found many many more car accidents than in Iowa--so driving is one thing to be very cautious--many pedestrians running all over too!
Medical care is high cost and so is insurance. Not a lot of jobs offer medical insurance. It is hard to find good doctors who want to even touch patients anymore--make mis-diagnosis and charge high costs for doing mostly nothing--wrong prescriptions--additional costs for nothing--found the Emergency Room clinics in Springfield, MO lower priced-and if you pay at the time--there was a good discount.
The discounts for residents at the shows is great! Take advantage! Also restaurant coupons are readily available! Yes..there are plenty of movie theaters around! We really like the Meadows. Will have to try the ones others have mentioned that we were unaware. The cinemas on Hwy. 76 does have the older movies but...Free Popcorn--and it is just right!
The growth is huge in Branson--and most of the growth is surely to enhance the lives of the people who live in Branson! The schools in Branson are tops! I have not heard anything bad about the schools--seems there is much opportunity in the area for children.
It is just wonderful all of the new and exciting things happening in town--we just love living right in the middle of a big tourist area--we want to know there is something always to see and do, and going on--that is Branson!
Branson is also number 1 when it comes to our Military and our Veterans. My dad was a Veteran--passed away this last February--and he alway enjoyed his trips to Branson!
Good Luck! Take Care! I know you will love living in the Ozarks--there is no perfect place anywhere--as we have found.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #54
ParrotTrader
ParrotTrader

Cool Wow! Cheesecake!

Hello!
And..I thought maybe I was sticking my neck out a bit!? Cheesecake--you are right about a lot of what you have stated but...golly I guess I have a tendency to "hunt out all the positives" wherever I go. Your list didn't seem to have many.
We were told and learned many of the things you speak before moving to the area from Iowa but...we tackled things from a different avenue because of it and actually we only had one loss--rental housing--and many many other wins!
My husband to be--job just outside of Branson a few miles--was the best job he had ever had in his whole life--making more money and good, clean, christian folks to work--3 times the salary--and reasonable medical insurance--than he could ever believe to find in Iowa!! We had great times and loved the Ozarks.
Some of my family lived in the area for many years in Forsyth and we visited them often--they are gone now but the young kids still live there.
Here in Florida he is doing the same work and making about the same money--only difference they give him a $50K truck to drive from home to work every day and they pay the gas, medical insurance, weekly salary, and good commissions besides--something that is very hard to find--even here in Florida--but here it can be more of a benefit. If he wanted to go back to work at his past job in Missouri he could any time--that company and the people are great!
Gosh...I had actually "forgot" about some of those things. Maybe tell new prospects to pick up a copy of newspaper "The Independent"?? That is usually where I found much of what you have stated. I actually enjoyed reading about the Politics in the area--kept well informed--was very interesting.
Take Care.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #55
Amanda

Branson living

There sure is a lot of info about moving/living in Branson!
What is the crime like in Branson?
Thanks Everyone
Old 05-12-2005, 05:44 PM   #56
Branson Mom
Just me

Very low!

According to this website http://www.idcide.com/citydata/mo/branson.htm

Reported crimes in the Branson area during 2003:

Murder and non-negligent man-slaughter: 0
Forcible rape: 7
Robbery: 9
Aggravated assault: 49
Violent crime events per 100,000 people: 1,077

Burglary: 92
Larceny-theft: 637
Motor vehicle theft: 31
Arson: 2
Property crime events per 100,000 people: 12,597

2001 and 2002 according to this website http://www.city-data.com/city/Branson-Missouri.html

Crime in Branson (2002):
0 murders (0.0 per 100,000)
4 rapes (65.2 per 100,000)
8 robberies (130.4 per 100,000)
60 assaults (978.2 per 100,000)
101 burglaries (1646.6 per 100,000)
607 larceny counts (9895.7 per 100,000)
13 auto thefts (211.9 per 100,000)
City-data.com crime index = 799.8 (higher means more crime, US average = 330.6)

Crime in Branson (2001):
0 murders (0.0 per 100,000)
4 rapes (65.7 per 100,000)
4 robberies (65.7 per 100,000)
96 assaults (1577.1 per 100,000)
133 burglaries (2185.0 per 100,000)
679 larceny counts (11154.9 per 100,000)
29 auto thefts (476.4 per 100,000)
City-data.com crime index = 1004.8 (higher means more crime)
Old 05-12-2005, 09:09 PM   #57
tina_als_girl

Holy cow. Now I *really* want to move there. I went to those websites and compared the Branson statistics to those of my current town, Independence. I never thought Indep. had so much crime (aside from meth lab busts, of course)!

Thanks for posting those crime statistics, as well as those websites! Very helpful indeed.

Joy
Old 05-13-2005, 09:04 AM   #58
Branson Mom
Just me

You're very welcome!
You can find a lot of other information on them as well. Things like the average age of Branson Residents, average income, and house values.

This Acrobat file from the 2000 Census, has a lot of information too
http://censtats.census.gov/data/MO/1602907966.pdf

You can check other areas as well here
http://www.census.gov/

Closed Thread